need a new truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Log books are not required for drivers that return to the same base every day, and do not sleep in their trucks. I have never been asked for a log book locally, since I quit over the road many years ago.

Kansas City has a bunch of DOT inspection goons, and they are total pricks. They check everything, and won't quit looking until they can write you a ticket. That includes medical cards, whether your fire extinguisher is currently certified, whether you have spare fuses, etc. Things they may have passed in previous inspections become much more important if they can't find anything else to write a ticket for.

No mercy, every time they turn on the lights, it's going to cost you $200 for a defective vehicle. They like to hang out so much on my end of town, that we routinely send someone out in a private vehicle to scout the area before we leave the shop. Each inspection takes about 45 minutes, and they don't care how many men you have in the truck.

To their credit, I am becoming quite the expert on DOT regulations. Some of you guys need to read up on the regulations again. I won't argue with anyone about what the rules are, they may vary from state to state. You should get the necessary books and read them.

A heads up: a CDL license is required for any truck with a gross vehicle rating of 26k, regardless of how much it actually weighs. If you are towing an empty 10,000 gvwr trailer with your pickup, you had better get a class A. ALSO: if you are using your class B truck just to tow the fishing boat home from the lake, you have converted it into a combination vehicle: class A license required. Curiously, implements like chippers, stump grinders, or tow-behind air compressors do not make a "combination", mostly because they are not licensed as trailers.

If you are driving a non-cdl vehicle, including your own personal car for hire, you are required to have (in Missouri) a class E license, formerly called a "chauffer's license". Even the pizza delivery kid is supposed to have a class E, they just enforce that law only when they feel like it.

your wrong on that !!! like ROPE said,,, its not 26,000...26,001 is CDL...26,000 is not !!!

wrong on the pickup thing also....you have 2 numbers you have to look at....

( gross vehicle weight - GVW )

( combined gross vehicle weight - CGVW ) truck + trailer rating...

both of those numbers are on your truck..

if your truck is under 26,001 GVW,, and your trailer is over 10,001 GVW ,, and your CGVW is under 26,001... no CDL,, if the CGVW is over 26001 , pulling a trailer over 10,001 GVW , ,and the CGVW is 26,001,, you need a class A CDL...

the medical card is to be carried in ANY commercial vehicle here.Even a Ford Ranger that is used for delivery ,the driver must have a medical card.Anything with airbrakes must have CDL.Put airbrakes on a Volkswagon Bug,get a CDL,no matter what the GVWR.

wrong,, DOT ,, any thing over 10,000 =med card ...you can run air brakes under 26,001... the air brake rule only applies to CDL trucks over 26,001

F750

This is from arbortech and is the same truck I own only its an 07. Not sure why they would tell you that unless your looking for a 4+4 truck with a 14' bed then you will be over CDl.

2008 F-750 XL Regular cab chassis, 240 HP Cummins diesel, Allison 2500 RDS automatic transmission, Hydraulic brakes, Air conditioning, AM/FM radio, Chrome grill and front bumper, Cruise control, Driver’s Captain’s chair with 2 man passenger seat, Dual mirrors with convex both sides, Engine block heater, Front tow hooks, 45 gallon fuel tank,

Cab is white in color, 102” CA

10,000 lb front axle and springs, 21,000 rear with 23,500 springs + AUX

DERATED at factory to 25,999 GVWR

$56,495 upft with 14' Body Package plus, 4-head Amber LED Flashing Light System!

Last edited:
This is from arbortech and is the same truck I own only its an 07. Not sure why they would tell you that unless your looking for a 4+4 truck with a 14' bed then you will be over CDl.

2008 F-750 XL Regular cab chassis, 240 HP Cummins diesel, Allison 2500 RDS automatic transmission, Hydraulic brakes, Air conditioning, AM/FM radio, Chrome grill and front bumper, Cruise control, Driver’s Captain’s chair with 2 man passenger seat, Dual mirrors with convex both sides, Engine block heater, Front tow hooks, 45 gallon fuel tank,

$56,495 upft with 14' Body Package plus, 4-head Amber LED Flashing Light System!

Wow that is a lot of truck to still be under cdl!

i'm trying to get a truck that will be under cdl limit, but still have a 14' box. arbortech says it can't be done, but i know that the gmc 4500 chassis will carry one. anyone have a rig under 26k gvwr with a good 14' chipper box?

big difference,, between a GMC 4500 , and a FORD F 750 !!!!! as the original poster stated...

we have a 2007 GMC ( IZUZU) T 6500 cab over with a 14 yard box, 12 foot long... 26,000 LBS ,,under CDL... if you're 6' 6" , you could stand in the thing..

bigger than the bed room i had when i was a kid..

i think PROARBOR is trying to put 10 pounds of SH%$, in a 5 pound bag....

i think he needs a bigger truck to haul that much,, and tow a chipper !! JMHO

Back