Need a Quote

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will come up there and cut every and any tree you want down. Just from the pics I would say a couple grand. Where are you at? You can look around the site to see who I am.:cheers: and good luck ,I hope it works out.

Excellent, strip and chunk, fall it if it fits. There ya go Beav.:cheers:

IMGP3078.jpg

IMGP3205.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Nice view of the stream, that's where I would be with my fishing pole if I owned that house. Reminds me of sullivan county, pretty country wish I still lived up that way. Hope it all works out for you beav.

The guys here are trying to talk you out of cutting down trees because by nature they are problem solvers that enjoy trees and working in/with them.

I come from a construction/remodelling/maintenance and mechanical(s) aspect and could point you in a few directions in those respects but it seems like you are not concerned and/or already have a plan on what to do.

On any forum you will find that those that are the most active members are the enthusiasts of whatever the topic of that forum is. The upside of that is what brought you here; "downside" is that enthusiasts that master their trade or hobby don't take kindly to someone asking for their expertise and then having that person debate them. I'm not saying that's what you did but from working for, with, in, and managing tradesmen I'd say you are close to it, at least for those that are self-employed and have been for decades. Just a friendly heads-up of something I imagine you already know, that's all.

Excellent, strip and chunk, fall it if it fits. There ya go Beav.:cheers:

Plenty to work with up there. probably be able to do it inexspensive like blow the chips into the woods and line the tree line with the logs. Look like it would be a nice job, I'm game. Hey, lets all get together over the winter and show up at this guys house and make some noise. I would bet not to much would get done huh?:greenchainsaw:

yes, from the pics I can say you have a few target trees that should come down. More suitable trees can be planted so if they got to go... let them go. I don't think those leggy pines gonna stay up for ever. Over the years the wood line will lean over more and more. Lots of defects in them trees though I would not say it looks real bad.

IMGP3078.jpg

Around here, this time of year, the White Pines are dropping their needles heavy. Plus the leaves all falling, bet the previous owner never raked, or used a leaf blower on his roof. Probably the leaves and needles could lay pretty heavy on this roof in your situation.

See no gutters to unclog....

Would like to see a pic of the attic where the insulation meets the bottom of the roof line inside. Just wondering if enough air is comming up through the facia? Or if the insulation is cutting it off.

Maybe more roof vents, coupalo to get the air circulating better than what you have going on.
cupola-banner-Fall2009.jpg

Curious on sump pump, check on discharge pipe and see if it is running all the time or not.

IMGP3004.jpg

Need picture of your fireplace. ;-)

Good luck, looks nice. Think I could see a few deer out back in the woods. ;-)

Plenty to work with up there. probably be able to do it inexspensive like blow the chips into the woods and line the tree line with the logs. Look like it would be a nice job, I'm game.
Absolutely, pines on the south side of the house block winter light and may be part of your problem. Dan would know what to cut and what to keep (deciduous shade for summer) and his ideas of using chips and logs on site makes sense for the health of your remaining trees and for your budget.

Instead of whacking 15, a skilled tree guy may show how whacking 9 and pruning 10 reaches your goals a lot better.

If it were me I would keep looking at other houses, it sounds like the problem has been on going for a while you could be getting yourself in over your head. Work is more than likely going to have to be done to the inside and outside of the house. You could be spending over $10,000. I would take that extra money and stick into a house that doesn't have these problems. I'm sure you could find a nice place with the setting you are looking for at a great price. Real estate is cheap and a dime a dozen right now, keep looking beav.

The guys here are trying to talk you out of cutting down trees because by nature they are problem solvers that enjoy trees and working in/with them.

I come from a construction/remodelling/maintenance and mechanical(s) aspect and could point you in a few directions in those respects but it seems like you are not concerned and/or already have a plan on what to do.

On any forum you will find that those that are the most active members are the enthusiasts of whatever the topic of that forum is. The upside of that is what brought you here; "downside" is that enthusiasts that master their trade or hobby don't take kindly to someone asking for their expertise and then having that person debate them. I'm not saying that's what you did but from working for, with, in, and managing tradesmen I'd say you are close to it, at least for those that are self-employed and have been for decades. Just a friendly heads-up of something I imagine you already know, that's all.

I don't think anyone is trying to talk beav into not cutting his trees. Their is plenty of people here that would gladly cut beav's tres for him including me if that's what he wants. I don't think anyone can give him the advice he is looking for without visiting the property in person.

I don't know about the Poconos, that layout in my area would scream "ledge" and "springs." Sunlight isn't going to fix a high water table, you need drainage and I'd be more concerned about talking to folks who install french drains to dry basements and excavation contractors to lay tile then to arborists if you want to fix the property.

In the Alleghenny Mountains where I backpack there are many clearings left over from logging a 100-150 years ago. The tree's were very slow to grow back there because cutting them actually caused the water table to rise. Not exactly the same situation but it's worth considering.

Living in the Pines

I have a small place less than a half acre with about 2 dozen pines, a couple oak and a couple maple. Since I bought the place I had this one tree I kept looking at going "I think that's a problem". Kinda of a knarlly part where the two forks were joined. Asked my Agricultural Commissioner neighbor and he said not a problem.. so I didn nothing. Well in the last storm one of the forks (about 60 ft) of this split tree broke off (didnt do much damage. didnt even take out any fencing). Well since the other fork (over 100 feet tall) leaned towards my house, I asked an arborist I knew for his thoughts. He explained the problem with the tree, some kinda fungus and he told me the other part should come down. He agreed to fall it for $350 not bad considering it has to come down in pieces. He then went around my property and told me that the rest of my trees were healthy specimens. WHEW. I thought I got off cheap for $350. It will be interesting to see if he falls the pieces in the places he told me he would (but I know the guy is skilled I have seen him fall trees in pieces before). It's coming down in 3 weeks and I will be relieved. I definately will take some video of this and sell tickets if I can :greenchainsaw::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Last edited:
Thank you for all the replies. Below is picture of the roof and the stream.

IMGP3078.jpg

[]

I wonder how professional the roofers were. Why are the shingles overhanging the drip edge by 4 or 5 inches? Is that ridge vent active or decoration? If no slots were cut along the ridge in the sheeting or if existing slots were papered over by roofers in 05, then you still have no air flow at the ridge. The remark about the attic being "well" insulated makes me wonder if someone "added" insulation restricting the air flow from the soffit vents into the attic? The constant shade could be contributing to the problem, but I think you need to look beyond the trees for the problem. My $0.02

Hey dano, the pocono's aren't far from me either. Wanna do a mini gtg and slash some pines?

IMGP3078.jpg

Around here, this time of year, the White Pines are dropping their needles heavy. Plus the leaves all falling, bet the previous owner never raked, or used a leaf blower on his roof. Probably the leaves and needles could lay pretty heavy on this roof in your situation.

See no gutters to unclog....

Would like to see a pic of the attic where the insulation meets the bottom of the roof line inside. Just wondering if enough air is comming up through the facia? Or if the insulation is cutting it off.

Maybe more roof vents, coupalo to get the air circulating better than what you have going on.
cupola-banner-Fall2009.jpg

Curious on sump pump, check on discharge pipe and see if it is running all the time or not.

IMGP3004.jpg

Need picture of your fireplace. ;-)

Good luck, looks nice. Think I could see a few deer out back in the woods. ;-)

Oh yeah, ya got no gutters. That is a problem.

#1 Home Inspection Reports will not catch all the faults of your new home.
this is why you sign a home harmless clause before they leave with your money.

#2 Woke up this morning remembering I had a similar problem last year by a roof vent......Bathroom ceiling started to mold......went up found wet plywood...then saw the drip during a rain storm............for some reason, tar paper was misssing a 12" strip along roof....and right where the vent exited the roof....

Keep digging on why plywood is wet. Easy to say it is the Tree's fault, when you may have another issue you won't discover untill later.

See if sky light or roof vent is near the wet plywood.

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back