Need a wood Id

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

272super

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
20160309_173007.jpg 20160309_172749_1.jpg 20160309_172855.jpg I could use an ID on some wood I came across.I am from Northern In. The wood has very strange bark. It has these isolated raised ridges. The bark7 is also very thin.The tree was probably 18" at the base. It was not easy to split green. Preety tight growth rings with somewhat stringy white heartwood. It is heavy wood and seems like quality wood but I don't want to take too much of it without knowing what it is. Hickory of some type? Bark does not look like any hickory in the field guides I have.Thanks

View attachment 491059 View attachment 491060 View attachment 491058 I could use an ID on some wood I came across.I am from Northern In. The wood has very strange bark. It has these isolated raised ridges. The bark7 is also very thin.The tree was probably 18" at the base. It was not easy to split green. Preety tight growth rings with somewhat stringy white heartwood. It is heavy wood and seems like quality wood but I don't want to take too much of it without knowing what it is. Hickory of some type? Bark does not look like any hickory in the field guides I have.Thanks

Hackberry is much easier to split if you take flakes off around the perimeter rather than going down the middle. It will be relatively light when it is dry, very high moisture content

Latest posts

Back