Need advice on choosing a string trimmer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CountryBoy19

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok, its time for me to finally get a string trimmer but I'm not sure what is best.

I really like the Stihl with the additional add-ons. I could definitely make use of an edger too. So right now I'm looking at the FS130 (bike handle) trimmer and the edger attachment for it.

Any pluses or minuses to that choice?

Any better options out there?

Or am I pretty solid in my decision?

Ok, its time for me to finally get a string trimmer but I'm not sure what is best.

I really like the Stihl with the additional add-ons. I could definitely make use of an edger too. So right now I'm looking at the FS130 (bike handle) trimmer and the edger attachment for it.

You will NOT like the bike handle if you want to add attachments....

What will you be doing the most with it...

and if your main goal is to add attachments, get a KM, you will thank me later...

I have a Stihl FS55 bike handle trimmer. You have to wear a strap and actually hang the trimmer from a strap. You just guide it with the handle bars. Works nice after you get it all strapped on.

I also have a Stihl FS45 curved shaft trimmer that has the same engine as the FS55. It is a little on the twisty action situation as are most curved shaft trimmers.

My favorite is my Echo straight shaft trimmer with a "D" handle. It is made much like the Stihl 55R trimmer which I'm sure I would like as well as the echo.

As far as edging goes, I use a regular trimmer for edging. I just tilt it a little for the edging function. I have done this with My Homelite, Ryobi, and McCulloch trimmers both in straight shaft and curved shaft.

With the trimmers with attachments - the attachment situation makes them too heavy and unpleasant to use for any function.

I was over to a friend's house last week. He was having a garage sale. He does yard work and has several utility yard devices. I noticed he was selling his like new Echo edger. I was there a couple days ago and I noticed he had two Stihl FS55R's to replace an older FS45 and the edger that he sold in the sale. He says the Stihl pro version trimmers are too heavy. That he gets satisfactory service from the homeowner versions.

The Husqvarna trimmers are light, have no exposed wires, and good AV. The 326 and 327 models are the bee knees.

You will NOT like the bike handle if you want to add attachments....

and if your main goal is to add attachments, get a KM, you will thank me later...

I tell people if 75% of the time you want a string trimmer, but once in a while want an edger, hedge clipper etc. get the FS90, 110, 130

But if you want alot variety of tools get the kombi power heard.

The bike handle is only really good for doing trails, fence lines and other wide open spaces, not triming in the yard around trees and flower beds.

FS90r from a pawn shop works great for me. Autofeed head for trimming the grass and a 3 point blade for clearing weeds next to the barn. You won't be dissapointed with a FS90-130 model Stihl.

Well, right now I'll be doing about 70% trimming and 30% edging.

A couple years from now my wife and I hope to buy a large piece of property and build on it. If that comes to fruition then it will be more like 95% trimming and 5% or less edging.

I like the looks of the Kombi system but it's a little more expensive and a bit heavier IIRC. What are the benefits to it? Why does it matter if you change the tool at the tip of the shaft (standard string trimmer) or if you change it up closer to the engine?

The only benefit I can see is if you plan to add-on a pole saw or hedge-trimmer. I don't anticipate either of those, but I guess they aren't entirely out of the question either.

The Husqvarna trimmers are light, have no exposed wires, and good AV. The 326 and 327 models are the bee knees.

Does the Husky offer extra attachment? I couldn't figure their website out. I definitely didn't see any extra attachments for their string trimmers or brush cutters.

For trimming your yard to clearing weeds i would start with a fs90 to maybe a 110. I have the fs90 and every year i clear a 1/2 mile of weeds along the river bank. When i buy a new trimmer it will be a fs110.

I have a FS110R and love it!! It has gobs of power, there isn't much that stands in its way. Any one of the three FS90,110, or 130 should do you fine. I like the loop handle myself, if I was just clearing I probably would have a bike version.

Sounds like a good idea to me. I have the Kombi Km90 with the polesaw, articulating hedgetrimmer, trimmer, and blower attachments.

What i'll probably do since i have all the attachments is eventually buy a km130 powerhead as a backup. Those attachments sure come in handy. How i lived without an articulating hedgetrimmer for years, i don't know.

Well, right now I'll be doing about 70% trimming and 30% edging.

A couple years from now my wife and I hope to buy a large piece of property and build on it. If that comes to fruition then it will be more like 95% trimming and 5% or less edging.

I like the looks of the Kombi system but it's a little more expensive and a bit heavier IIRC. What are the benefits to it? Why does it matter if you change the tool at the tip of the shaft (standard string trimmer) or if you change it up closer to the engine?

The only benefit I can see is if you plan to add-on a pole saw or hedge-trimmer. I don't anticipate either of those, but I guess they aren't entirely out of the question either.

Does the Husky offer extra attachment? I couldn't figure their website out. I definitely didn't see any extra attachments for their string trimmers or brush cutters.

Hedgetrimmer, edger, pole saw, paddle sweeper, cultivator - all available. Just the head/attachment, or with a pole/boom for going on the attachment series trimmers.

I'm 6'4" and I find the bike handles are a better fit for me. For your application it is just a matter of what you prefer. I recently purchased a Shindaiwa C350 from a fella who purchased a Husqvarna 4-stroke technology. Nice looking unit. He claims it has more torque and runs quieter than the Shindaiwa.

Used edgers aren't all that spendy and probably most of them don't have many hours on them.

I'm 6'4" and I find the bike handles are a better fit for me. For your application it is just a matter of what you prefer. I recently purchased a Shindaiwa C350 from a fella who purchased a Husqvarna 4-stroke technology. Nice looking unit. He claims it has more torque and runs quieter than the Shindaiwa.

Used edgers aren't all that spendy and probably most of them don't have many hours on them.

Shhhhhh..... Don't tell anyone but the Husqvarna 4-stroke unit is a Honda engine...... :msp_wink:

I love the Husqvarna trimmer with handle bars and a straight shaft. I use both string and metal cutting blades for brush cutting - it is simply the best machine I have ever used for trimming and light brush cutting. The harness makes it possible to run for hours without your arms going numb from exhaustion.

I've got a Kombi 130 with weedeater, pole saw, extention piece, blower and cultivator ............. love them all. The only thing about the larger 130 engine is if all you are going to do is weedeat then it seems like it weighs a good amount and is somewhat overkill for weedeating, but for pole sawing with a 14" bar on it, you can cut full width and it will pull the chain through Pin oak, as I cut a bunch of 12-16" branches for my neighbor standing in the bucket of a loader and with the extention on it, but you better not pinch, LOL.

It was suggested to get the Kombi, as 2 strokes are rarely run to being wore out and this way you only have to maintain one engine and it gets run more, so less issues with not starting 3 months from now because you didn't use it. I use 100LL AV gas so this is not a problem, but the theory sounded good,LOL.

Mine has run for 3 years no problem always starts easy. The blower attachment is super powerful. My neighbor uses it to blow his combines out in the field to keep fire potential at a minimum.

For weed eating, I take the guard off and run both whips at about 12" each, and it will pull that through thick, tall grass no problem.

My experience,

Sam

I bought a FS 130 last year and love it for tasks here on the farm. I bought a shredder blade from Bailey's and it does a fantastic job on heavy weeds and stalks. It will even take down a 1" sapling in less than a minute! The only drawback for me is that I don't move very fast and in moderate weeds/grasses, I have a hard time keeping the rev limiter from kicking in. Sometimes I have to throttle back on the trigger, but that gets tiring after a while. It's not a problem with the string attachment because that puts more of a load on than the blade does. The FS130 with the shredder blade is ideal for clearing up old fence rows.

I guess I have a bit of TAD (trimmer acquisition disorder!) I have a FS 85 that I use for trimming around houses and obstacles. That has the loop handle. I also bought a FS 250 with the bike handles. That is used for trimming long property lines, ditches, and open areas too steep for a mower. I also have a tri blade and a chisel tooth blade for the 250. I look at it the same way as having small saw and a large saw, each trimmer has its purpose.

I have considered adding a Kombi with the edger, turf broom and pole saw attachements.

Will

I just got done using my fs250r to clear about a acre of dense brush and forest. I even was able to cut small 2-3 inch trees, if done slowly, using the brush knife. With the string on it it, has way, way more power than needed, but man, it's fun to use.

I just picked up a used Shindaiwa T-25 trimmer. After I fitted it with new rings and rebuilt the carb, it runs like new, and judging from the condition and build quality, it's going to run another 20 years. And it's a freakin' monster! A new trimmer with comparable power would cost ~$400 and weigh an extra couple pounds. I hate lawns and all the BS required to maintain them, but using this trimmer is actually fun.

Back