Need advice on grass & shrub cutting tool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kalmos

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I need to clear grass and wild growing shrubs on an acreage. To my understanding a grass trimmer with straight shaft and a blade would do the trick. Is that true?

In the past we purchased Husqvarna (farm duty) chainsaw and we’ve very happy with it. Our preference is to stick with Husky or Stihl this time as well. I’d like to get ‘farm’ duty tool and max of 30cc’s. Price is a deciding factor. What type of tool and model would you guys recommend? How much should I expect to pay for it?

If you want a real brute, get a Stihl FS250 with a brush blade. 40+cc... Around $420.

The FS110 (4 mix) is the choice around here amongst landscapers etc. Strong low end torque, nice machine. Mid $300's.

What would be a comparable unit in Husqvarna?
What would be recommended models for less $?

I have a Stihl FS 250 and with a brushcutter blade its like cutting with a handheld bush hog. Bushes and saplings are no problem. With a circular saw blade you can cut trees up to 3"-4" inches.

When I was pricing units here in Alabama the Huskies were more expensive than Stihls in the same size ranges.

For serious bruchcutting I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than the FS 110.

Rick

I have a Stihl 550, I bought it for trees but put a weedeater head on it, nastiest weedeater ever. I paid $400 for it used with the harness, blade and tools. You get what you pay for and like saws, no replacement for displacement. You could also get a scythe, I have used them and when they are sharp they are pretty impressive. Low cost and a good workout.

kalmos said:
FS 130 is only $40 bux more here. Would you recommed going with FS 130 over FS 110?

I don't see a lot of differnce between the 110 and the with the 130, but if you are in tough conditions, get it - displacement rocks.. But, if you are looking at getting the 130, just get the FS250.

This is funny how we just jump from a big machine to a bigger one. screw it, just go on out an grab the neighbors dozer.

Lawn Masters said:
This is funny how we just jump from a big machine to a bigger one. screw it, just go on out an grab the neighbors dozer.
Are you suggesting 110 is overkill? Price is bit high at ~$600 CDN.

I have 45cc 3.1 hp Makita DBC-4510 with saw blade, brush cutter and trimmer head and can say that for grass trimming and weed cutting 3hp is a overkill. Even with 3mm trimmer line there seems like nothing to attached for the engine.
2hp enough for trimming and brush cutting. Only for saw blade and small trees 45cc is needed:biggrinbounce2:

kalmos said:
Are you suggesting 110 is overkill? Price is bit high at ~$600 CDN.

A big difference between the 110 and the 250 is one is 4 mix and the other 2 stoke. CC is not a good measure between these 2; HP is.

The 110 is not overkill... The 250 might be.

Here I am doing some quality online research and I call my old man whenever I see a new post in this tread. About 1hr ago he calls me to report he made a purchase. He ended up getting Stihl FS 130. I hope he made the right purchase. Thank you for all for your replies.

Judging by the performance of my FS100RX I am sure your father won't be let down by the 130. Stihl's 4-mix are very torquey (is that a word?).

I would go with the FS110 or 130 for the heavier drive shaft and cutting head. I think the price is around 350.00. If i'm not mistaken the FS100 has a cable driven drive shaft and a smaller gear box. The FS110 and bigger have a steel drive shaft and the large gear box like the old FS85's. Both machines will have plenty of power for what you need to do. I really like the 4-mix it has a lot more torque than other 2-cycles and it's quieter. Kinda sounds like a 4 stroke dirt bike. Good choice on the 130

Matt

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I like the sound of the 4mix that I heard once, sounded like a 357XP to me. probably my imagination though.

I was told the FS100 uses a hollow shaft, which is why it can only be used as a string trimmer. The 110 and above are solid shaft.

clearance said:
I have a Stihl 550, I bought it for trees but put a weedeater head on it, nastiest weedeater ever. I paid $400 for it used with the harness, blade and tools. You get what you pay for and like saws, no replacement for displacement. You could also get a scythe, I have used them and when they are sharp they are pretty impressive. Low cost and a good workout.

Dayummmmmmmmmm Clearance thats a monster. I've only sold just one of those 550's. I remember firing it up and thinking what in the hell, it sounded like a airplane. I've played with alot of weed trimmer, all brands and I've never seen one come even close to a 550 in power, that thing is a killer machine................................

TenZero said:
I was told the FS100 uses a hollow shaft, which is why it can only be used as a string trimmer. The 110 and above are solid shaft.

Not quite true... It's a flexible verse soild shaft. Both shafts have a lifetime warranty anyhow. We put blades on the flex shafts all the time wth no problems.

Lakeside53 said:
Not quite true... It's a flexible verse soild shaft. Both shafts have a lifetime warranty anyhow. We put blades on the flex shafts all the time wth no problems.
Flexible shaft is nastier because it has stronger kickback (acts like a spring) with cutting blade than has solid shaft.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back