need advice wood insert low cost models...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelshot

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hi all!i'm new to burning fire wood for heat ,spent year and a half making stacks of split wood,for this season,got a used gas splitter that needed a rebuild to help me,i did burn pallets in basement with a free standing stove hooked up to shared flue [oil burner]i know its a no no .now i refi the home and will have enough cash to get a liner for fire place in living room.my house is two floors with blown in insulation etc so its adequate although the windows are old sash weight jobs,about 1300 sq ft.my fire place seems small ,its a masonry lined with clay pipe though.my question is recommendation for a insert [wood]in the low price range say home depot drolet etc.like whats cheapest that is still adequate.like to have glass window.thanks for your comments.Dave Don,

When you say low cost, don't be thinking short term. I have an insert from Quadrafire, and in the 6 years that I've owned it I have put exactly 0 pennies into it. What I saved in natural gas and electricity the first 2 years paid for the insert. Since having the insert in the house I've bought 2 chainsaws, many tools related to cutting wood and a barely used hydraulic log splitter. All with the $$ saved by using the insert to heat the house in the winter.

You might want to check with your homeowners insurance company too - some will drop you like a hot potato if your wood burner wasn't installed by a licensed installer and installed to code. If they don't drop you, they could not pay if something goes wrong and it wasn't installed properly. Read the fine print in your policy.

What esshup said. Don't skimp on the insert, you wont save $ when your replacing it a few years down the road. Bought an Avalon Rainier insert 11 years ago, had it professionally installed with the SS chimney liner, served me well and the liner is easy to clean. Buy once-cry once.

hi all!i'm new to burning fire wood for heat ,spent year and a half making stacks of split wood,for this season,got a used gas splitter that needed a rebuild to help me,i did burn pallets in basement with a free standing stove hooked up to shared flue [oil burner]i know its a no no .now i refi the home and will have enough cash to get a liner for fire place in living room.my house is two floors with blown in insulation etc so its adequate although the windows are old sash weight jobs,about 1300 sq ft.my fire place seems small ,its a masonry lined with clay pipe though.my question is recommendation for a insert [wood]in the low price range say home depot drolet etc.like whats cheapest that is still adequate.like to have glass window.thanks for your comments.Dave Don,

am i to be sent out as a lamb to slaughter? lol.how about a manufacturer name or two? when you say buy a good one, i have no one in circle of acquaintances that burn wood.to give thumbs up.are you saying buy from dealer and go by price?also need info to judge used stoves if i can find on Craigslist need advice or pointers thanks.

I have a Quadrafire 3100 in a small fireplace and an Osburn 2400. They both work well and are quite efficient. The Quadrafire looks better with the fancy trim and all, but it cost almost twice as much as the Osburn, even though it's firebox is about 1/2 the area of the Osburn.
Both are well made and do the job, but the Osburn is definitely the more economical choice of the two I have. I also looked at the Lennox before I chose the Osburn, but it was due to a height limitation in my fireplace.
Whatever brand or dealer you choose, put in the largest insert that will fit your fireplace. And put a block off plate or in the least fire resistant insulation around the liner to reflect as much heat back down instead of letting it up the chimney.
Another note, I ran my blower fans with the Quadrafire every day to help with heat output. With the Osburn, I only ran the blowers when it was in the single digits this past winter. But again, about twice the size of firebox.

am i to be sent out as a lamb to slaughter? lol.how about a manufacturer name or two? when you say buy a good one, i have no one in circle of acquaintances that burn wood.to give thumbs up.are you saying buy from dealer and go by price?also need info to judge used stoves if i can find on Craigslist need advice or pointers thanks.

As I said, I have an Avalon Rainier model. http://www.avalonfirestyles.com/productselect.aspx?fuel=wood-insert
You can search their site for dealers near you if interested. Cant help you on used, I wanted new with professional install and no insurance co. problems. Good luck with what ever you choose.

SBI is a parent company that produces Osburn stoves, as well as Drolet, so from that aspect I see nothing wrong with going with a Drolet unit. I have an Osburn 2400 insert in the basement and have considered a Drolet for the main floor fireplace, but haven't bitten the bullet yet. SBI makes quite a few different brands and pricepoint options, none of which should be avoided.

As these guys have mentioned, the chimney liner is critical. Good news is that most stoves and inserts use a 6" liner, so if you buy a good liner now and decide to swap to a different insert later, chances are you'll be able to reuse the liner, or shop with that in mind and you will be able to.

I called my insurance company and they didn't care a bit about having an insert installed or who installed it, so make that call before you stress about that issue.

I have had a Drolet for the last 3 years and it has been good. I have no experience with the others. I bought it on clearance from the place where you "save big money" and had it professionally installed for 1400.

I've used a Century CW2500 insert now for 5 years now and love it. Made by SBI up in Canada. Includes blower. Large glass window. EPA phase II certified and one of the least expensive phase II stoves I could find. Not cheap by any means but rather utilitarian as it lacks porcelain coated cast iron or brass handles or soapstone that you pay a premium for from other brands. http://www.century-heating.com/en/products/wood/wood-insert-model-cw2500

I installed it with a full length, insulated 6" stainless liner.

IMG_20140730_212703_570-1.jpg some great tips i'm looking into.thanks,i guess besides the ornate features,and some extra features like draft control.the $$ stoves are also thicker steel plate like 5/16".but that comes in around here $4600 w/liner installed.i'm in the drolet century etc price range.as far as gage of metal i have a converted truck diesel tank built by my father in law in 1979 it is warped some on the sides but door area is fine .i can live with a lighter model if it is built half as good.

oh. when i asked for a quote ,dealer said liner would be non- insulated she said not on inserts?why wouldnt it be better?

Insulated liner keep flue hot so less to no creosote condensation on walls. On my masonry flue with a flexible liner and insulation poured around it the cement blocks get hot. the orange clay flue liner tubes were removed to provide enough room for the 6" liner. Insulated liner, provide you have enough room, is the way to go particularly if a basement install.

thanks to all!choice came down to century or drolet 1800 i,and the drolet was offered at lowes at $1400 free ship to store pu.when i searched this afternoon for the drolet testimonials i came across sale for 799.00 wow !but nearest menards is 8 hours away!and sale ends 8/2.so i take print out to lowes and they match +10% almost they say internet dont count not a competitor.but they go ahead with sale price.long and short got a insert in 13 days anyways.

Back