Need advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny30

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Any one have any suggestions. Need to find a small stump grinder to get into back yard with that is hydraulic and can fit on the bed of a 1 ton truck. This needs to fit in the bed of a truck because we are towing a much larger grinder and our days are mixed between really large stumps and small stumps.

Any one have any suggestions. Need to find a small stump grinder to get into back yard with that is hydraulic and can fit on the bed of a 1 ton truck. This needs to fit in the bed of a truck because we are towing a much larger grinder and our days are mixed between really large stumps and small stumps.

I'm pretty sure you can get any of the smaller grinder in the back of a 1 ton. Rayco 1625, Carlton 4015, Vermeer 252. Any of those will fit thru a 36" gate and weigh around 1100 lbs - 1500 lbs.

I'm pretty sure you can get any of the smaller grinder in the back of a 1 ton. Rayco 1625, Carlton 4015, Vermeer 252. Any of those will fit thru a 36" gate and weigh around 1100 lbs - 1500 lbs.

go dosko 691sp. slightly more narrow than the others, and better balanced. ive owned them all, wouldnt go back. its a shame the new ones are red, look like a$$.

go dosko 691sp. slightly more narrow than the others, and better balanced. ive owned them all, wouldnt go back. its a shame the new ones are red, look like a$$.

"Need to find a small stump grinder to get into back yard with that is hydraulic"

Don't think the one you mentioned is hydraulic. Isn't it a smaller walk behind?

Just want to thank everyone. Bought a rayco 1625A, it will fit in the truck bed and at the present time all we need to do is find the proper ramps.

Ramps for your grinder

That reminds me, where have you found good heavy-duty ramps for getting your grinders up ledges, rock walls, etc?
I'm using galvanized 12" wide x 3" deep x 10' long heavy duty safety grating used for catwalks, etc. Seems plenty strong for my 252, doesn't flex at all, but you have to cut angles into the ends, then a 5" wide middle one for the 3rd steering wheel. Does anyone manufacture heavy duty ramps made of aluminum that wouldn't be quite so heavy as the ones I have? Seem hard to find to me. These 12" ones cost about $120 each. The cheapy aluminum ones you see at the quad dealers are more than that, and I wouldn't trust my machine or my life to one of those for an 1100 lb. machine.

Johnny30, or anyone else, have you found anything yet?

The Vermeer 252 will barely fit into the back of a long bed pickup. You have to move the cutting wheel to the side to get it into the front corner, and the shove the machine kinda sideways, to get the tailgate up. I have had to do that alot recently, it is kind of a pain. I'm glad I finally got mine a little trailer. And yes, take off the tailgate. :monkey:

That reminds me, where have you found good heavy-duty ramps for getting your grinders up ledges, rock walls, etc?
I'm using galvanized 12" wide x 3" deep x 10' long heavy duty safety grating used for catwalks, etc. Seems plenty strong for my 252, doesn't flex at all, but you have to cut angles into the ends, then a 5" wide middle one for the 3rd steering wheel. Does anyone manufacture heavy duty ramps made of aluminum that wouldn't be quite so heavy as the ones I have? Seem hard to find to me. These 12" ones cost about $120 each. The cheapy aluminum ones you see at the quad dealers are more than that, and I wouldn't trust my machine or my life to one of those for an 1100 lb. machine.

Johnny30, or anyone else, have you found anything yet?

Here ya go. http://www.discountramps.com/
Here is a picture of the ramps I bought from them for loading my Spider lift. They are 16ft long, they do bow a little (the lift is 6800#) But no problems in the year that I have been using them.
http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=59152&d=1193678771

Latest posts

Back