Need Chainsaw buying advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aatkins

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm new to this forum and am needing some advice. I'm looking to buy a new saw currently running a 455 jonsered. I'm looking for a little more power than what I've got now. I'm cutting for a outdoor water boiler furnace prob. 7 cords a year, just guessing. So far I've looked at the jonsered 2152, 2153, and husky 353 and 346xp. I like all models and from what i've read the 2152 and the 353 are pretty much same saw as well as the 2153, and the 346. There is only one jonsered dealer in the area and several husky dealers. and I'm looking at about $60 dollars difference in the 353 and the 346. I'm curious as to whether the power difference is noticable enough to pay the difference, and if anybody has had any problems with any of the models I've listed.
Thanks,
Anthony

Most people will be happier with the 346 or the 2153. Go with the dealer that treats you best.
Another you might consider would be the Dolmar 5100 if you have a dealer nearby. Just as good of a saw for about 400 bucks. :cheers:

find your best dealer and go from there...

go out and hold the saws, ask to test cut or demo a saw or two or three

How big is the wood you are generally cutting? That will determine the best saw for the job. Not that a 346/2153 can't handle bigger wood but a bigger saw doesn't have to work as hard if you are routinely cutting bigger stuff. I have a 2153 with 18" bar as my smaller wood/limbing saw and love it. It is fast, light and powerful for its size but when the wood gets 20" plus I grab a bigger saw. YMMV

Buy a Stihl unit. The 346xp is made in China, with a Swedish stamp on it, and a big price tag. If you are cutting 7 cords a year, I assume its all hardwood. I would opt for a unit that is larger than 50cc, buy two bars for it, say a "16-18" and a 24" that way if you come to something larger you can still cut it. The 021 we had on our ranch has cut 50 cords of almond wood a year for 6 years until it gave up.

Cutting the amount of wood you will need will dictate that you be supported from a saw shop and not the 18 year old chick behind the counter at Lowes. Buying a saw from a local shop goes a long way towards making a good friend that will work for you, and call you by name when you come in the door.

Latest posts

Back