need education

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

314epw

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Please explain to me what happens when you change the number of teeth in your sprocket.I have a Husky 359 and 362xpg that I want running at it's best.I'm running 20" bars.For future reference does bar length come into the equation?
thanks,
Ed
:bang:

314epw said:
Please explain to me what happens when you change the number of teeth in your sprocket.

In simple terms, for a given chain pitch, more sprocket teeth means greater chain travel distance per rotation of the crank. At a given engine RPM, the chain will travel faster with more teeth on the sprocket which equates to faster cutting.
More sprocket teeth also means greater force required to pull the chain. If your saw doesn't have sufficient power, it may not be able to achieve the same RPM with a sprocket with more teeth. The net result could be that your saw actually cuts slower or is not even able to pull the chain at all in certain types of wood.
Optimal sprocket selection is dependant upon many factors including the saw's power band, max torque and horsepower RPMs, chain pitch, type of chain (skip, full comp), bar length, type of wood... I'm sure I've left out some other considerations.
Not being familiar with Huskys, Im sorry that I cannot reccomend an optimal sprocket for your particualr saw.

Dan

do some searching on here. There have been lots of posts about 346 performance with different chain types, pitches, rim sprockets, etc. I am sure you can find out from other posts on here what everyone seems to like, and you can make a decision from there. I would imagine it would run good with a 16" bar and 3/8" chain with a 7 tooth sprocket. Or, 18" bar and .325" chain and a 7 tooth sprocket. 14" with .325" chain and a 8 tooth sprocket would probably scream!

The .325x7 sprocket is the smallest option, .325x8 and 3/8x7 are about the same size, and 3/8x8 and .325x9 are even closer to each other.

With about the same size sprocket, the .325 will put more cutters in the cut, but cutting performance and resistance in the cut will vary with the type of cutters, Stihl RS/RSC beeing the potensially most effective. The .325 will have less room for chip transport, and will be more prone to bogging.

As one of the above posters suggested, there will be a lot of factors entering the picture, so to find the answer you will have to try different options with your saws, your chain of choise, and the wood size and type you are most likely to be cutting.

With bars as long as 20", and anything close to full bar cuts, I believe that 3/8x7 is most likely to perform the best on both saws, maybe .325x7 on the 359.

With 15-16" bars, or for limbing with 18-20" bars (nowhere near full bar cuts !), I would at least want to try 3/8x8 on the 362xp, but not on the 359.

sprockets

Thank you folks,experimenting I will go!
Ed

Latest posts

Back