need help bad

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawmart

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i was taking off the muffler on a kolar 25hp motor and snap off the nut. , it mounts off the cylinder head its treaded in to the casting , i am in big dodo.

thanks for the help

lawmart

don't sweat it!

you will have to drill out the stud(carefully) with a smaller bit than what the stud itself is. don't forget to mark the drill bit with tape so you know how deep you have to drill. you can do that by taking out the other stud and marking your depth. you want to take out as much of the stud as you can just with the thickness of the bit. use a "easy out" or "stud extractor" to take out the stud. once you get it out all you have to do is run a tap through it so you can clean up the threads. try to use the same size tap as what is was originally. hope this helps you out. get back to me and let me know.

thanks i will have to run out first thing in the mornig to get that stuff since tomorrow is my stumpping day.

thanks for the help

lawmart

If you have a MIG welder or are real handy with a stick, try this. Take a nut slightly larger than the original bolt, you might use a 3/8s for the 5/16s center it directly over the broken bolt with the ground clamp. Weld it as good as you can and get it as hot as you can without going nuclear. Let it cool for about a ten count and try to loosen it 1/8th turn DO NOT TRY TO FULLY REMOVE IT. Let it cool until penetrating oil wont smoke,treat with oil and twist it on out. You want to let it cool so that it can expand and contract and not pull the aluminum threads with it but it needs a little motion to break it loose while hot. I've done this several times and it always works like a charm. At least it's easier for me.

got the extractor tried to get it ot now it snaped inthe hole , and that extractor is high carbin steel and it will not drill out.

i need nuc bomb

Easy out = 10 times harder than any know drill bit on the Earth.

Since it's already boogered it up just use a center punch to break it. Those easy outs are so hard they shatter nicely. Do you have access to a welder?

They really shouldn't call them easy outs, they've never been easy for anything I've ever tried to use them for.

yeah, no access to a welder, but i will try and see if i=the easy out, will break with a center punch, after that happed last night, i went and had a few wobly pops, this realy sucks had to rent astumper again today. thanks agian for the info.

lawmart

broken bolt

lawmart said:
yeah, no access to a welder, but i will try and see if i=the easy out, will break with a center punch, after that happed last night, i went and had a few wobly pops, this realy sucks had to rent astumper again today. thanks agian for the info.

lawmart
lawmart, i recently broke off a steel hydralic control valve bolt in the aluminum hydraulic manifold on my stumper. talk about scary , was sweating any contact with the alum threads. went to napa and bought a counter clockwise extraction bit one size smaller than the bolt.ran the drill in reverse as soon as the bit started to bite good the bolt came out . try that next time. good luck, regan

Bondo it on there! Just dont let the engine to warn or it will burn.

Ok, I'll be honest. That idea sucks. I will think on this.

Back