Need help guys

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Hatley

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So I base gasket deleted a 372xt for a buddy of mine. Squish is .018”, and everything is put back together just as it came apart. The thing won’t start. I’ve ported a few older 372 non xt and got rid of the base gaskets on those as well. They all fired and ran really well. This thing has got me stumped. The decomp button pops up when pulling the cord too and none of the others have done that. I used hondabond 4. All carb hoses are routed right, has good spark etc... what could I have missed? Thanks in advance.

I’m pretty sure it’s getting fuel, I thought I flooded it the first time cranking it. Smelled like it bad. I will try squirting some fuel in it though. Thanks for the replies.

If the squirt of fuel doesn't make it pop, its probably flooded. I usually pull the plug and invert the saw so the plug hole is the lowest point on the engine and leave it overnight to drain out. Usually works for me.

I'm betting the carb.those xt carbs a real finiky sometimes.first one I did was same as you.even put a new carb kit in it.would not start.flooded bad.found out the metering lever in the new carb kit was bend to high.reset it and it fired on second pull.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Rupedoggy, I told you everything. I didn’t take the carb off of the cylinder when I did this one, so it shouldn’t be a problem with the carb. Ran great before I took it apart. Plug was wet when I checked it after trying to start it. I didn’t check compression but I can tell there is way more than before. I’ll dump fuel in the carb and report back. Thanks for the replies guys.

So fuel in the carb didn’t help. The muffler filled up with gas... any ideas?

Like I said metering lever is to high or something with the needle.its letting to much fuel threw.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Definitely not saying you are wrong, but can that just happen? I didn’t take the carb apart or even off of the cylinder. I just unhooked the choke, throttle cable, and two hoses that slip on the thing.

If I pull the plug, dry it off with the air compressor and dry the inside of the cylinder, it will hit one time and do nothing else. If that helps at all.

Why do you think it’s happening? I fired it up before tearing it down and it was fine.

Latest posts

Back