Need help ID Homies Plse.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric Egland

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, I got these some years ago, but the Name badges came off, to reveal two different series. One says DX, the other says ZR series. Same UDT.
I have figured out 33cc from other information. BUT...I don't remember what they were originally called. I think I got them from NT.
Thanks for any info..
Eric

I think Homelite gave up on trying to name their saws,so the UT
number is especially important when looking for parts.

Thanks

Thanks, I believe they were called out as factory re-furbished and probably they threw darts at new names to stick over the original badge. Perhaps even overstocks from other countries???
Anyway, they did look clean and new when unpacked, as required.
I figure these to be in the MS 180-210 class saw. (similar).
Thanks again,
Eric

Thanks, I believe they were called out as factory re-furbished and probably they threw darts at new names to stick over the original badge. Perhaps even overstocks from other countries???
Anyway, they did look clean and new when unpacked, as required.
I figure these to be in the MS 180-210 class saw. (similar).
Thanks again,
Eric

Finally..someone compared a Homelite Ranger to a Stihl....:dizzy:

Dear Red-85

Dear sir, thank you for the kinda-tip. I'll add Ranger to my list of information. I do hope the semi-insult was in jest.
You will note that I did not say the Homelites were exactly equal to the Stihl saws, only in a similar power class.
Again, thanks for the info.
Eric

Dear sir, thank you for the kinda-tip. I'll add Ranger to my list of information. I do hope the semi-insult was in jest.
You will note that I did not say the Homelites were exactly equal to the Stihl saws, only in a similar power class.
Again, thanks for the info.
Eric

Actually I dont like Stihls...

But the Ranger/Bandit/Timbermaster saws that were produced while Homelite was owned by (I think) the Jeng-Fenn group were really not good saws at all. I mean in all honestly they were problem plagued and rarely hold up to a seasons worth of light duty work. I dont know if it is a design problem, a Quality Control problem, or what...but they just dont last.

I havent had one come into the shop yet that blew over 100psi compression.

Nothing against you or your saws, I hope that you have had, and continue to have, better luck than the majority of the owners out there.

ya think?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Gary

Ive got some..Ive used em...I work on em...I have yet to figure out what all the hype is over. They break down, they dont start, parts are pricey...kinda like every other brand out there that costs less.

Actually.....

I have been purging my saw stock for the new me.
First to go were the XL-10 saws, 4ea. Replaced by a new MS192t, which I dearly admire. I'm now 64 and don't have the time or eyes to mess with sub-species troublesome equipment.
Next to go will be these 33cc Homies. I had 3, I've given one away already to a guy at work and these two are next.
I picked up a new MS250 yesterday to replace these 33cc Homs. And give me a mid-power saw in the occasional/mid-range class. Just wanted to know what to call 'em out as.
When I got the 192t, I walked out with a MS290 and figured it would be a pretty good replacement for the Super XL, if that ever gave up. I made three cuts with it a year ago and was happy.
I decided to call it a day on the WIZ project and won an MS390 on e-bay to handle the larger jobs that hopefully, I'll be able to do the occasional bigger Oaks that tip over.
I just wanted to know what to call them.

My local Kubota dealer sells Stihl, so I ain't gonna drive all over looking at the other brands when I can shop where people know my name.

Regards,
Eric of the mountains.

Ive got some..Ive used em...I work on em...I have yet to figure out what all the hype is over. They break down, they dont start, parts are pricey...kinda like every other brand out there that costs less.

You must have different Stihl saws over there than we do over here... different owners too...

LMAO...

I have been purging my saw stock for the new me.
First to go were the XL-10 saws, 4ea. Replaced by a new MS192t, which I dearly admire. I'm now 64 and don't have the time or eyes to mess with sub-species troublesome equipment.
Next to go will be these 33cc Homies. I had 3, I've given one away already to a guy at work and these two are next.
I picked up a new MS250 yesterday to replace these 33cc Homs. And give me a mid-power saw in the occasional/mid-range class. Just wanted to know what to call 'em out as.
When I got the 192t, I walked out with a MS290 and figured it would be a pretty good replacement for the Super XL, if that ever gave up. I made three cuts with it a year ago and was happy.
I decided to call it a day on the WIZ project and won an MS390 on e-bay to handle the larger jobs that hopefully, I'll be able to do the occasional bigger Oaks that tip over.
I just wanted to know what to call them.

My local Kubota dealer sells Stihl, so I ain't gonna drive all over looking at the other brands when I can shop where people know my name.

Regards,
Eric of the mountains.

Good luck with the saws Eric! :)

Gary

Super XL

Actually, the Super XL has proven to be my PRO saw. I choose to NOT afford the Stihl pro saws as I don't need that level of manufacture, price or performance.
The XL is in as new condition and all metal construction. Purchased in 1989.
I'll be keeping it.
Sadly, the decision to get the MS290 for a back-up was not the right decision in the end. I should have grabbed the MS270 instead. That would have given me a better spread in the series.
Again, thanks for the help
Eric

I've got a saw similar to yours. Mine is a Homelite 20 Powerstroke, I bought about 2002 I think. The 20 stands for 2.0 cu inch = 33cc. I really like it - it cranks and runs good and it cuts good too. Mine has an oregon bar and chain so maybe that helps. I've cut a fair amount of wood with it, some about 18" dia. It may not last much longer, but so far so good. It may be older than that because it doesn't have a chain brake.

Actually,,,,

On second thought, these saws have seen less than 20 hrs. So, it would be short-sighted to purge them. They do work great.
Thanks to all respondents for the tips.
Eric of the mountains.

Actually I dont like Stihls...

But the Ranger/Bandit/Timbermaster saws that were produced while Homelite was owned by (I think) the Jeng-Fenn group

Jenn-Feng owns McCulloch and had a distribution/service agreement with MTD. That agreement has been disolved. The Talon brand of chainsaws are also Jenn-Feng mac's.
From when John Deere sold Homelite in 2001 it has been owned by Techtronic Industries aka TTIGROUP, a Hong Kong based Company. Which oddly is another Vacuum cleaner company. Their brands include Hoover,Dirt Devil,Royal,Vax,Ryobi,AEG,Milwaukee,Drebo,Stilletto,Ridgid to name a few

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back