Sthil mystery model id help needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonny580

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
O.k.,-- I just bought a couple saws at an auction and one is an Echo 452vl,-- got that figured out, the other one with it is a monster sthil with the tag worn off. It tries to run,--probably only needs a carb kit.
Here are som pics of it.It looks to say Farm boss on the bottom of the tag but what number is it??? Thanks for looking!!!

Attachments

• DSCN1256.JPG
    DSCN1256.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN1257.JPG
    DSCN1257.JPG
  • DSCN1258.JPG
    DSCN1258.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN1259.JPG
    DSCN1259.JPG
  • DSCN1262.JPG
    DSCN1262.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Its a bone shaker, tooth rattler, no AV dinosaur.

That it is, indeed they are- the one I had I gifted to a local enthusiast that for some funny reason lusts after this era Stihl models- though most the ones he has, have rudimentary AV.
For say an hour at a time, cut for an hour- then split and stack that, cut for another hour- you might survive the day running it- but for production....... no thanks. :laugh:

That it is, indeed they are- the one I had I gifted to a local enthusiast that for some funny reason lusts after this era Stihl models- though most the ones he has, have rudimentary AV.
For say an hour at a time, cut for an hour- then split and stack that, cut for another hour- you might survive the day running it- but for production....... no thanks. :laugh:
I tried running one bucking big hardwood, lasted for 3 tanks of fuel til my fingers went numb and then the pins n needles took over, couldn`t even pick the saw up and drop start it. I could run the big Pioneer in my avatar for 8 hours a day or more, it had no AV at all.

I tried running one bucking big hardwood, lasted for 3 tanks of fuel til my fingers went numb and then the pins n needles took over, couldn`t even pick the saw up and drop start it. I could run the big Pioneer in my avatar for 8 hours a day or more, it had no AV at all.

Totally agree, these are not the ideal saw to empty the tank and refill cut again- repeat.
I guess some of that was behind the cost savings of the farm boss models? Sell to farmers to start up, cut a fallen limb off a fence, put the saw away again.

Totally agree, these are not the ideal saw to empty the tank and refill cut again- repeat.
I guess some of that was behind the cost savings of the farm boss models? Sell to farmers to start up, cut a fallen limb off a fence, put the saw away again.
I have several 041 AV models, they are fairly nice to operate but these days the spring AV models are spoiling me.

I love the big heavy older saws! They have class plus METAL as oposed to plastic in them! My favs are Homelite SXLAO's and 8800's. They are also big heavy jobbers! lol!
I want to get this one runnin good so I can log with it. Also use the big green poulan 306-a that also has a 24" bar on it.
When you need a big guy,---you need a big guy! I used to run them all the time. Now it takes more effort on my part since I turned 76 last month and still log an mill lumber quite often.
Thanks for the id guys!!

Believe it or not, these were the preferred saws in a bucket about 20 years ago. Get some good gloves, Use loctite and tighten all screws. Check pulse and fuel hoses Including in tank, intake gaskets, and oiler. Also has points which can be timed by marks on the case and flywheel. A clean carburetor and it will run a 20 inch bar great in hardwoods. I was pre anti vibe which kept the cost down and was targeted at the farmer.

My 1981 Stihl 041 Farm Boss is still running strong, new cylinder and piston 20 years ago . Still cutting 3-4 cords per year with it , I have 5 other saws but the Farm Boss is still always first out of the barn for cutting firewood, was my first saw and all metal. Almost did it in about 25 years ago, I went to move the tractor backwards about 10 ft , went to the house for lunch, came back out , no saw . Looked for an hr , finally gave up , took the tractor back to the barn , nephew came into the barn with the saw covered in mud , I had parked the 3000lb tractor on top of it . Scraped off the mud and it fired right up , no damage.

Kinda wondered if it might have points in it! LOL! My first SXLAO does! ---and nuttin wrong with that.
Looks like this one has a Tillison carb on it,---havent had time to take it off yet to see what model carb it is and hope kits are out there yet for it.
The old saw wants to run and sounds great .--also has compression out the wazoo and may have been rebuilt down the line. It starts easy for a dino! and that helps. a couple pulls over on compression and it starts and runs but you can tell the carb is not doing its job.
I never was a Sthil fan BUT having gotten 6 of them in the last couple years,---well they aint a bad saw! -- course the first 250 was a bear, but the second 250 is a puddycat, so its a gamble! LOL!
Did get burned on a 251 that is locked up and junk but byer beware on auctions!!! LOL!

Latest posts

Back