Need help identifying a Stihl!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drsamm

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Need some help identifying a Stihl...saw this one on local CL. The guy said he had had it for several years and one day it wouldn't start. Said he had no particular mechanical abilities with 2 strokes and just put it up until he could figure out what was wrong with it or find somebody who could tell him. It apparently has been sitting up for at least a year or two. The model tag is missing off of the engine cover as well as the recoil cover on the side. Only thing still there is the "Magnum" sticker on the air filter cover. It has a large oval air filter like my 441, 460 and 660. It has the decompression valve in the same spot as the 460 and 660. Looks to be pretty good sized physically. It has very good compression. I noticed the compression valve was pushed in when I went to see it so it didn't appear to have much at first but when I figured out it was pushed in, I took the old Swiss army knife finger nail file and popped it out. Had plenty of compression then. I took the plug out and could notice no scoring from that side. The plug was not fouled and actually looked pretty clean. Didn't have the opportunity to pull the muffler, so not sure about the other side of the cylinder, but from the compression it shows with the pull rope, it couldn't have much scoring, if any. The muffler itself looks really good, without too much rust. The area around the carb, throttle linkage, etc., looks to be in very good shape. I'm thinking it likely needs a carb cleaning and rebuild, the air filter blown out or replaced, a new fuel line & filter and possibly an impulse line. Just can't see much else obviously wrong with it, other than being dirty. Oh and it also has a large sized felling dog on the outside of the bar. Can anybody out there tell the model/size just by looking at the pics.? If not, what identifying parts or numbers can I look for? I have several of these saws and have fooled with them quite a bit but have never run up on anything like this. He was asking only $150. for it and he threw in a new in the box oilomatic 42" yellow chain. Even if it turned out to be something too expensive to fix, I figured I could make this much up parting it out but if lucky, could have a pretty big Stihl for a song. Won't be able to really get it apart for a better inspection until the weekend. Thanks in advance for any help anybody can send my way!

Last edited:
Need some help identifying a Stihl...saw this one on local CL. The guy said he had had it for several years and one day it wouldn't start. Said he had no particular mechanical abilities with 2 strokes and just put it up until he could figure out what was wrong with it or find somebody who could tell him. It apparently has been sitting up for at least a year or two. The model tag is missing off of the engine cover as well as the recoil cover on the side. Only thing still there is the "Magnum" sticker on the air filter cover. It has a large oval air filter like my 441, 460 and 660. It has the decompression valve in the same spot as the 460 and 660. Looks to be pretty good sized physically. It has very good compression. I noticed the compression valve was pushed in when I went to see it so it didn't appear to have much at first but when I figured out it was pushed in, I took the old Swiss army knife finger nail file and popped it out. Had plenty of compression then. I took the plug out and could notice no scoring from that side. The plug was not fouled and actually looked pretty clean. Didn't have the opportunity to pull the muffler, so not sure about the other side of the cylinder, but from the compression it shows with the pull rope, it couldn't have much scoring, if any. The muffler itself looks really good, without too much rust. The area around the carb, throttle linkage, etc., looks to be in very good shape. I'm thinking it likely needs a carb cleaning and rebuild, the air filter blown out or replaced, a new fuel line & filter and possibly an impulse line. Just can't see much else obviously wrong with it, other than being dirty. Oh and it also has a large sized felling dog on the outside of the bar. Can anybody out there tell the model/size just by looking at the pics.? If not, what identifying parts or numbers can I look for? I have several of these saws and have fooled with them quite a bit but have never run up on anything like this. He was asking only $150. for it and he threw in a new in the box oilomatic 42" yellow chain. Even if it turned out to be something too expensive to fix, I figured I could make this much up parting it out but if lucky, could have a pretty big Stihl for a song. Won't be able to really get it apart for a better inspection until the weekend. Thanks in advance for any help anybody can send my way!
Its a Stihl 046, its very similar to your MS460 (minus the flippy caps). You'd get a better response if this was in the chainsaw forum.

Great deal, BTW.:rock:

Hey, and thanks for the response. I was wondering why there were so many views of the thread, but no responses...It did occur to me that I might not have it in the right place, but it took me getting my teen age daughter to load the pictures before I could get it all done and at that point, I would have left it anywhere...the pics. aren't too easy to include, unless you are experienced with it I suppose. Guess I'm just not experienced enough with posting things to choose the right place. Anyway, from previous reading, I would think that the 046 is a pretty good saw and would be a good performer with the right bar length. What would your opinion be for bar length choice for this saw? I do appreciate your help!
Don

Ha! So you're the one that bought that saw. I emailed the guy as soon as it was posted (no phone #) and emailed again later and asked him to contact me. He finally did but then it was sold. I thought it was strange he didn't know what it was. When he contacted me to say it was sold he indicated he had "put it up" about five years ago when it stopped running.

I've been looking for one of those... Good find!

Ha! So you're the one that bought that saw. I emailed the guy as soon as it was posted (no phone #) and emailed again later and asked him to contact me. He finally did but then it was sold. I thought it was strange he didn't know what it was. When he contacted me to say it was sold he indicated he had "put it up" about five years ago when it stopped running.

I've been looking for one of those... Good find!

Yea, I think it's going to be a good saw...I did the same email routine as you, as soon as I saw the ad. I think I actually got lucky and hit him within an hour of his posting it. Sent him a couple of messages saying I was very interested in taking a look at it and would he send a contact number. I included my number in the second message to show I was truly interested in it and he still didn't respond. Figured it was one of those people who sell something quickly and then leave the ad up for a week or two...very aggravating. Anyway, I was at work, the second day after I had sent the first message and was checkeing messages and he had sent me a paragraph long message about how he was busy all the time and was being covered up with responses. I guess I was the first, or close to it, so I told him I could come out within an hour or so. He acted kind of squirrely, doing the text thing back and forth, (HATE trying to peck out responses on those tiny little buttons!! Doesn't ANYbody use a phone as a phone any more??) so I didn't really know what to expect, or even if it would be there, but he said it would be so I'd have first refusal. Most of what I find is somewhere in the wilderness and 50 or 60 miles away, at a minimum, but this one was only about 25 miles away and about 2 blocks from where I went to High School, so it was an easy one. I couldn't tell much from the pics. on CL, so I was a bit worried that it would be a little homeowner type but when I got a glance at it, I knew it was going home with me if it had any bit of compression, and maybe even if not. It's just dirty, but otherwise is in pretty good shape. I don't think it's been abused, just not kept clean and it's a little scuffed up and missing it's model emblems...none of that a big deal. Anyway, it had very good compression and for $150 seemed like a no brainer. He said he even had a new chain if I wanted it, so he found it and let me look at it. I asked him how much for the whole thing, chain and all and he said $175...now I was going to see if I could trim him down a little from the $150. for just the saw before he brought the chain out, but if he would include both for the $150., it seemed like a really good deal. I balked a little at the $175. and he just said, "O.K., just take them both for the $150." and I did without any further hesitation. I didn't get a good look at the length of the chain when he took it out of it's box, but I could see it was a stihl yellow chain and was indeed brand new...it did look much longer than the little short bar he had on the saw - I haven't measured it, but it looks like no more than 16" or so. Looks real out of place on this size powerhead, but it has a razor sharp chain on it too. Got it home and discovered that the new chain is a 42"! I can't imagine he would run something like that on this saw, so I don't know why he had such a long chain...might have had a bigger saw at one time, who knows...anyway, haven't had a good chance to take it apart yet, but I plan on cleaning and rebuilding the carb. right off the bat, change the fuel line and filter and that may do it to get it running. I'll of course also check the impulse line and intake boot while I'm cleaning it up, but it really looks good. The other fellow says it's an 046, so I'm trusting his judgment and going from there for the parts...guess even a blind hog finds an acorn every once in a while, huh? I got lucky that time. I'm in the area up around Road Atlanta, where abouts in Georgia are you? Metro area?

Latest posts

Back