need help, new dolmar 5100.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodcutter69

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just got this chainsaw I had a hell of time starting it, I think it took about 100 pulls, finally got it started and it seemed to run okay but If I full throttled it, it seemed like it would not idle. well anyway I decided to read the instruction manual and it shows a decompression valve, I do not have a decompression valve and some times this saw would lock up and could not pull the rope. could it be possible the dealer switched covers to show it is a 5100 s. If I knew it would be this way I would have got a husky or a stihl. I now have a 372xp and love that saw never had any problem starting that saw out of the box. Brad.

I have the same issue with all of mine when I forget to turn the switch on.....:cheers: :cheers:

If you pulled it 100 times, I hope that the choke was not on for all 100 pulls....:help: :help:

BTW no decomp on the 5100's from factory in the USA.

Last edited:
Don't mess with it, take it back to the dealer and have them look at it. My 5100 & 510 start real easy.

i have the same problem with mine more so when it is hot it runs great for 15-20 min. then it shuts down. this has been happin for about a year now. dealer says its fine. for me it cant be right So went out and got a new 346xp (50cc) on saturday.

lawmart

Only time I had trouble was operator error.......Switch is opposite a Stihl...:help: :help:

About the same happened the only time I had trouble starting it - switch was pushed too far down after the initial pulls - to "off" instead of "fast idle" (happens easily if you don't watch what you are doing - so I don't like that switch).

I learned the hard way to pull mine three times on choke, that's it. Whether it pops or not, take it off choke. Mine has a decomp, and is a US model. It's really easy to install if you have a drill press and a tap set. Use a decomp from a MS260 PRO. Anything else would have too big a hole in it.

I learned the hard way to pull mine three times on choke, that's it. Whether it pops or not, take it off choke.

:agree2:

Mine has a decomp, and is a US model. It's really easy to install if you have a drill press and a tap set. Use a decomp from a MS260 PRO. Anything else would have too big a hole in it.

Why not a Dolmar one, for a 5000D etc.........?

:biggrinbounce2:

Yes, 3 pulls on choke, max for the 5100....whether it pops or not.....Sounds like you flooded it.....Maybe the idle screw needs turned up.....Take it back to the dealer if you don't know what you're doing.

The switch is fine, operator error. :laugh: Get off the brew and your switch won't be so touchy Troll...:cheers:....May need PPE for your thumbs.:biggrinbounce2:

Are you saying that the 5100S is availiable with a factory deco job by now?:confused:

Not that I would want a deco on it - but some obviously do........

Well yes and no. We can't order it with the deco cylinder installed, but that deco-ready cylinder is available here now, and not only for the PS-5100 but also the 510 & 460.
I think the only time the deco is really needed on these saws is for old folks and climbers.

I have to agree with the 3 pulls then take the choke off. Once warmed up mine only takes about a half pull with no effort to get going again.

Well yes and no. We can't order it with the deco cylinder installed, but that deco-ready cylinder is available here now, and not only for the PS-5100 but also the 510 & 460.
I think the only time the deco is really needed on these saws is for old folks and climbers.

Surely the deco ready cylinders are the same as the 5000D ones!

I believe Cuttingscott converted a few saws using those, but later found it more economic to modify the original ones.

I would say either you flooded it or the switch or the carb isnt adjusted correctly take it back to the dealer and have them start it in front of you so you can see if it was operator error or a problem with the saw. Since it is a new saw I say take it back. If you are mechanically inclined then you should read up on setting the carbs under the search option so that if you have this problem later on you can fix it yourself but for now just take it back to the dealer that is what the warranty is for.

Switch directions

Thats what I did on my PS7900. Removed the switch flipped it and put it back in. All my saws work the same now. If I ever have to take it back to the dealer it may drive him nuts.

Take Care

I just got this chainsaw I had a hell of time starting it, I think it took about 100 pulls, finally got it started and it seemed to run okay but If I full throttled it, it seemed like it would not idle. well anyway I decided to read the instruction manual and it shows a decompression valve, I do not have a decompression valve and some times this saw would lock up and could not pull the rope. could it be possible the dealer switched covers to show it is a 5100 s. If I knew it would be this way I would have got a husky or a stihl. I now have a 372xp and love that saw never had any problem starting that saw out of the box. Brad.

My manual showed a decompression valve, and my saw didn't' have one either.
The compression is pretty good on the new saw:greenchainsaw: and you have to pull it like you mean it, and hold it properly. Did the dealer adjust the carb for you when you picked it up? My dealer made sure it started well, and adjusted the carb to be sure it was running and idling like it should before I left the shop with the saw.

I was starting it wrong. I had the choke on to much, I found out to choke then shut choke off. let it sit for about 1 hour and went back and it fired rite up. it idles fine when it is cold but when it is warm sometimes it just dies but always starts up again. I should have read the instruction manual before I tried starting it. well anyway I got both saws loaded in the truck I will see how she cuts. Brad

I was starting it wrong. I had the choke on to much, I found out to choke then shut choke off. let it sit for about 1 hour and went back and it fired rite up. it idles fine when it is cold but when it is warm sometimes it just dies but always starts up again. I should have read the instruction manual before I tried starting it. well anyway I got both saws loaded in the truck I will see how she cuts. Brad

You should have posted about this before you haulled off and bought the 346!

Latest posts

Back