Need help now, 3/8 pitch .050 gauge lp chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuckinnc

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
There coming Monday to move a 12x28 sheshed, I have several saws that need new chains, they use 18" 3/8 pitch, .050 gauge LP low profile, I canlt find any around here and dont have time to wait, I can find chains that are not LP, does anyone know if they will work. Does anyone know what Low Profile is?

There coming Monday to move a 12x28 sheshed, I have several saws that need new chains, they use 18" 3/8 pitch, .050 gauge LP low profile, I canlt find any around here and dont have time to wait, I can find chains that are not LP, does anyone know if they will work. Does anyone know what Low Profile is?
The 3/8x050LP is same as Oregon 91, common on many "Homeowner" grade saws, including Poulan

I did one time as a test install a regular ( non low profile ) chain on a 16 inch saw that had the same pitch
and bar gage and the chain fit the sprocket just fine and cut pretty good. In fact I could say it cut better
as it was more grabby and pulled more wood chips out. The difference is that with the same down pressure
the saw would bog out sooner so I learned that with less down pressure on the saw the regular larger profile chain would cut the same. If you can install the "full profile" chain on your saw and pull the chain through with your hands then it will work. FYI my saw was a SEARS craftsman saw. Probably Poulan.

I did one time as a test install a regular ( non low profile ) chain on a 16 inch saw that had the same pitch
and bar gage and the chain fit the sprocket just fine and cut pretty good. In fact I could say it cut better
as it was more grabby and pulled more wood chips out. The difference is that with the same down pressure
the saw would bog out sooner so I learned that with less down pressure on the saw the regular larger profile chain would cut the same. If you can install the "full profile" chain on your saw and pull the chain through with your hands then it will work. FYI my saw was a SEARS craftsman saw. Probably Poulan.
Running picco/lo pro 3/8 bars and sprockets with regular 3/8 chain, and vice versa is ugly. And will damage the sprockets and/or the drivers on the chain.

Don't do it.

Latest posts

Back