Need help on chipper purchase and new business questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuilfordTree

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm new to this site as for posting and love all the information on here so i'm gonna do my first post here and have a few questions. I am currently in the process of starting my tree service and am purchasing equipment right now. I purchased a vermeer sc352 stump grinder with 200hrs to get into stumping as alot of companies around me do not do stumps and I feel it will be a good advertising tool to get my foot in the door with customers and other companies willing to sub out there stumps. I have been searching for chippers on craigslist and have seen alot of duds, I went and looked at a monstrosity olathe that was more of a pallet chipper\pulveriser that really just seemed way to big, to old and to much maintenance to be even considered for a residential tree service. My questions in regards to chippers are what is considered to be "to high" for hours on the unit, what main issues should i be looking for? and also what is the life expectancy of the diesel units. I'm going to look at a vermeer bc1000xl this sunday, does anyone have any reviews on these, this machine has 1400hrs.
I'm also looking for a rear mount bucket truck any recommendations such as boom length to look for, any particular setup or specs to look for?

Just some background on me, I have owned a successful landscaping company for 6 years and have sold the business 2 weeks ago, I have worked for tree guys and enjoy the work and have done felling and tree work here and there with my landscaping company. I enjoy the work and have educated myself for some time now to better myself for the industry standards. I enrolled in a climbing class for next weekend to make myself safer in the tree and to provide a better service for my customers.

Any advice and tips would be appreciated. Thank you and look forward to seeing your advice on here.

-Mike

I'm new to this site as for posting and love all the information on here so i'm gonna do my first post here and have a few questions. I am currently in the process of starting my tree service and am purchasing equipment right now. I purchased a vermeer sc352 stump grinder with 200hrs to get into stumping as alot of companies around me do not do stumps and I feel it will be a good advertising tool to get my foot in the door with customers and other companies willing to sub out there stumps. I have been searching for chippers on craigslist and have seen alot of duds, I went and looked at a monstrosity olathe that was more of a pallet chipper\pulveriser that really just seemed way to big, to old and to much maintenance to be even considered for a residential tree service. My questions in regards to chippers are what is considered to be "to high" for hours on the unit, what main issues should i be looking for? and also what is the life expectancy of the diesel units. I'm going to look at a vermeer bc1000xl this sunday, does anyone have any reviews on these, this machine has 1400hrs.
I'm also looking for a rear mount bucket truck any recommendations such as boom length to look for, any particular setup or specs to look for?

Just some background on me, I have owned a successful landscaping company for 6 years and have sold the business 2 weeks ago, I have worked for tree guys and enjoy the work and have done felling and tree work here and there with my landscaping company. I enjoy the work and have educated myself for some time now to better myself for the industry standards. I enrolled in a climbing class for next weekend to make myself safer in the tree and to provide a better service for my customers.

Any advice and tips would be appreciated. Thank you and look forward to seeing your advice on here.

-Mike

As far as the chipper, I have a 2001 BC1000 and I bought it with a 1000hrs, 85 hp diesel, it doesn't have all the sensitive sensors like the newer ones that some people have problems with or hate. Runs strong and chips awesome! If they have had the reg. maintenance done and 1400hrs isn't a whole lot. it should be good, I got mine straight from Vermeer, was an ex hydro one unit. Light use!lol! AS far as bucket truck, minimum 55'er nothing less. I ran a bucket with my ex working partner, and I am actually going a different route, and buying either a tow behind or spider lift this year. I do a lot of water access work on lakes and other sensitive areas where you can't be driving the bucket truck across. I also bought a new to me grinder this year, the way things are going will have it paid off by june, it has been a cash cow for me! NO BS. Good luck hope things work out for you.

Thanks for the help so far. I ended up purchasing the bc1000xl and it runs like a charm, chips great and was in mint condition. Currently I'm looking for a bucket truck at the moment I would like a rear mount due to the ability to back right to the tree or as close as possible to get a better and closer reach. But I have been trying to figure out what the ideal height is. I'm thinking 60-65' I found a nice fleet maintained utility rear mount truck that seems nice and is 60' with the dielectric certification. Any tips or pointers from anyone on here?

Latest posts

Back