need help submitting proposal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunthawkdog

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm trying to submit a proposal to fill a red oak order for an exporter. We have plenty of local options but would rather sell directly. Just fyi: I have a residential tree svc and only dabble in logging; 90% of our jobs are a on handshake and we virtually never have a problem . I have been working on this proposal and trying to write it down and realized I'm stuck. The bid is for 100,000 doyle bf 2sc 3sc 4sc 14'' or better 8' or longer 10% 6-7' is ok . I'm feeling good about my pricing just not sure what parameters to expect or write down, especially for the transfer of funds . I think it'll take me a month to put the order together, and I'm wondering how will I guarantee the price. Just need a little advice to get my format started and make sure cover all my bases . We'd really like to have the work. In advance, I appreciate all the advice.

I hope someone chimes in and gives you some advice...because I have no clue to what your talking about. Who buys 6-7' red oak? The only short stuff I ever milled for export was 6'9 and it was going to Vietnam for coffins.

What are red oak prices doin in your part of the woods? They seem to be rebounding around here. It makes a guy wonder if he should buy now and cut later.

Sent from my LG-US780 using Tapatalk

$60 or 65 a ton...basically just a tie market here. Something is about to happen with the tie market here though, coming up soon the ties are going to be 8'4 instead of 9'4 and I heard the pine RR tie market was going to open back up for a bit. It will be interesting on what market benefits and which one loses.

I have no idea how to write a contract like that......might not want to.
far as red oak prices, they range from .35 - over 1.00 a board foot with white oak .50-1.50. poplar export around .50-.60 a foot.
ties have gone up here too. I never heard of pine ties.

By my green log weight chart compared to Doyle chart I'm reading that
24"X10' = 1 ton. $65
24"X10' = 250 bf avg $137.50

Haven't got that far yet was told to quote fob my yard. I was wondering about containers? How many bf each 40` or 20' and how to get the logs in them I have a pettibone materil handler I suppose that'll have to work . And also he refers to him self as an exporter/ broker.

the guy I sell to has a special loader that picks the log up from the end. it seems more than you think will fit in one, I don't know how many bf. I don't see why you need a contract to sell logs to him and not every tree you cut will export.

By my green log weight chart compared to Doyle chart I'm reading that
24"X10' = 1 ton. $65
24"X10' = 250 bf avg $137.50

I have no idea how to write a contract like that......might not want to.
far as red oak prices, they range from .35 - over 1.00 a board foot with white oak .50-1.50. poplar export around .50-.60 a foot.
ties have gone up here too. I never heard of pine ties.

They use them in the turn yards or what ever you call them. Pine ties are all over on the rails here. When they replace ties I gather up whatever they pull out and sell them...the junkier more rotten tie will be the pine. Sweet gum lasts a long time. But yeh the pine tie market is pretty rare around here.

hunthawkdog, I wish there was market like that around here, the only better market than that is the stave market for white oak.

the guy I sell to has a special loader that picks the log up from the end. it seems more than you think will fit in one, I don't know how many bf. I don't see why you need a contract to sell logs to him and not every tree you cut will export.
Good point. I thought if I had a better number gurented I would buy more aggressive and harvest harder I don't own 100,000 bf. The local mills don't cut all the red oak they buy gotta be more money in it for me and the land owner. If you pay the most it would seem you should get the best stands of timber.

mmmm, that can be tricky........hard to say that there tree has two export logs in it. better to compete near the base prices as you can. if your paying on shares the owner will make more if the grade is good. if you bought it out right then more profit for you. sometimes doing a better job overall can get you more work over those that may pay slightly more. gotta be careful with bidding wars.

mmmm, that can be tricky........hard to say that there tree has two export logs in it. better to compete near the base prices as you can. if your paying on shares the owner will make more if the grade is good. if you bought it out right then more profit for you. sometimes doing a better job overall can get you more work over those that may pay slightly more. gotta be careful with bidding wars.
Your right.

Check out credentials. There were exporter/brokers around here for awhile cruising around looking for landings or following log trucks and then offering big bucks for your wood. Truck shows up, logs get scaled you get a check that bounces and the buyer is in the wind. Be careful with EFT's, the money can go both ways. I really don't like giving out account and routing numbers. I opened a special account strictly for EFT deposits and then I would transfer the funds to my working account. It can be an expensive lesson.

Check out credentials. There were exporter/brokers around here for awhile cruising around looking for landings or following log trucks and then offering big bucks for your wood. Truck shows up, logs get scaled you get a check that bounces and the buyer is in the wind. Be careful with EFT's, the money can go both ways. I really don't like giving out account and routing numbers. I opened a special account strictly for EFT deposits and then I would transfer the funds to my working account. It can be an expensive lesson.
Thanks

Latest posts

Back