3 Stihls down in a week.... need help tuning/troubleshooting Stihl 044s and 066

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot of the stihls use the same coil. Can't remember the number for sure.

1 turn out on both should be fine for a starting point. The lower screw is the idle.

Ok, thank you. might try to get a video up so you guys can see what I am talking about. Thanks again!

Good to know. Is this at a dealer only or is there a web site to do so?
The gasket set go to a dealer. If the piston is more than about $50 then they don't have the new prices. Definitive Dave on here or eBay has a lot of oem stuff.

The gasket set go to a dealer. If the piston is more than about $50 then they don't have the new prices. Definitive Dave on here or eBay has a lot of oem stuff.
Cool I will figure out how to get in touch with him. I ave my baileys order setup, but I might go ahead and cancel it and get all of it through him. I am an OEM guy myself, its all I use on diesel repairs through our shop as well. Being a diesel mechanic I didn't think I'd be such a fool when it came to tese little gas motors, but its proving to be that way.

l would make sure any fuel that was used when these saws went down is disgarded. Fresh fuel/mix from a reliable source should be used. lt only takes a little 'poor fuel' to cause 'a lot' of problems. Hope you get sorted and the guys here help diagnose your issue so you get back to cutting wood. l would also try to use AS sponsers for parts so we all help each other.:guitar:

Well I got fed up with the 660. Pics of the coil for reference. It's a poly flywheel as well. Pic of the red eye side for reference.

Tore down saw #1, looks like it needs a new piston. Exhaust side was not perfect, plug side was not bad, cylinder looks good. Needs a new ignition... Wire melted and and plug grommet snapped clean off prior todisassembly.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    605.1 KB · Views: 63
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    817.2 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    692.8 KB · Views: 66
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    865.3 KB · Views: 56
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    777 KB · Views: 63
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    778.5 KB · Views: 55
Yeah it needs a new piston. Is the red light still hooked up?

Yeah it needs a new piston. Is the red light still hooked up?

That was the #1 saw, so I guess I can get an overhaul kit for both 044s and just do it on both considering their age and runtime. Pretty surprised to see the piston scored a tad because you would have never guess by the way the saw ran. Figured it would have shown some sort of issue. I took them apart without the manual down to where I was at in the picture. Is there anything I should look for as I go further. It will be Monday before I can jump on them again as I leave today at ten, and was able to grab a small 360 from a friend for the cabin work.

Regarding the 066. I do not believe the red light is hooked up. First off I doubt I have revved the saw high enough in rpm to even trigger it. Secondly when I pulled the cover there was one black wire that was dangling. When comparing the ignition to the one on the 044 ignition, the 066 has an extra wire that was not hooked up behind the pull start cover, not sure where it goes. I will get better pics in the future. I really didn't spend any time on it, just pulled the cover to verify the flywheel and ignition number.

I do think something may be screwed up in the carb, jet too big, or something else as the high end needle did not do squat all the way in or almost falling out...

Regarding the flywheel, the seller told me its the original flywheel. I swore I read from a lengthy post that the 066s that had the decompression on them were updated with the new non limiting ignition and poly flywheel. Is that incorrect?

Thank you again guys I do appreciate all the help.

I clicked that link and sent dave a conversation, or message of some sort in regards to cancelling my baileys order and going through him for all of the parts.

They did update to a poly flywheel and decomp. It was after the red light. The red light was on the earlier versions of the 066.

They did update to a poly flywheel and decomp. It was after the red light. The red light was on the earlier versions of the 066.

Hunh so why the heck do you think it has it then?

As far as the 66 I'm thinking it was running lean after the bb kit was put on and that why it felt good, they always seem to run great right before they melt.
May have been an air leak but with what you're telling me from the carb they may just not have had it adjusted correctly
Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

As far as the 66 I'm thinking it was running lean after the bb kit was put on and that why it felt good, they always seem to run great right before they melt.

The kit that is on the 066 has only been fired a few times, me trying to tune it has had more time on the new can and piston than the fellow who put it in. He never even used it to cut, rebuilt and sold it.

The other saws have always been steady great running saws, I only stopped using them because of the erratic idle on 2 an the odd noise on 1 . The guts are all stock factory installed parts on the 044s.

The kit that is on the 066 has only been fired a few times, me trying to tune it has had more time on the new can and piston than the fellow who put it in. He never even used it to cut, rebuilt and sold it.

The other saws have always been steady great running saws, I only stopped using them because of the erratic idle on 2 an the odd noise on 1 . The guts are all stock factory installed parts on the 044s.
He may not have diagnosed the reason for the failure then it could have been leaking air before you started to tune it or I hate to say it he may not have been truthful with you

He may not have diagnosed the reason for the failure then it could have been leaking air before you started to tune it or I hate to say it he may not have been truthful with you

I understand. I try to trust guys more than not. I don't think he was BSing me, but I do think I will be tearing the 066 completely down again and replacing gaskets as necessary, inspect the head and piston, and if they look good I will leave it at that. I may ask to see if he has the ole OE cylinder and just put it back to OE, but now I should have just bought a lightly used MS660..... He mentioned that he replaced the can simply due to heavy hours on the saw, and his 460s were cutting circles around it, and it was down on power, hence why he replaced the can, said the compression was not bad, but not great.

That is all the history I have on it. I will have the off season this winter to get it back in shape.

I do appreciate all the helpguys. Thank you. I will be hanging out here more often.

What makes you think the saw is fairly mismatched? Also I shot difinitedave a conversation. I'd like to order these parts ASAP, as well as a few other things. Is he on here often or checks in weekly?

The red light was before poly flywheel. That's why in wondering if the tank was added or what. What's the serial number on the case.

Also curious what deems an OEM cylinder kit to be $850 vs a $150 meteor kit??? I'm not dropping 850 + a piece on a saw. Its almost cheaper to buy a new one at that point.

Latest posts

Back