need help with a 031 av

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countryboy36266

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i brought this saw at a yard sell look great clean it up then check it out i got fire thought the plug got compresson 150lb and fuel but it still want hit

I have two of them and they are great saws. It sounds like a carburetor cleaning/rebuild is in order. Relatively easy to work on!

i brought this saw at a yard sell look great clean it up then check it out i got fire thought the plug got compresson 150lb and fuel but it still want hit

Hard to tell for sure what your problems are with this saw, as your post is darn illegible. If you indeed have 150lb compression, and good spark with a new sparkplug, it should be a fuel problem, and may be crank seals, gaskets, fuel line, impulse line and carburetor diaphrams, etc. The 031 had ignition problems too, so you may not have spark under compression. I would squirt a little gas into the carb and see if it fires and then dies. If so, you know that you have fuel troubles. If not, then you probably have no spark which is more troublesome and costly.

Bob

Last edited:
Hard to tell for sure what your problems are with this saw, as your post is darn illegible. If you indeed have 150lb compression, and good spark with a new sparkplug, it should be a fuel problem, and may be crank seals, gaskets, fuel line, impulse line and carburetor diaphrams, etc. The 031 had ignition problems too, so you may not have spark under compression. I would squirt a little gas into the carb and see if it fires and then dies. If so, you know that you have fuel troubles. If not, then you probably have no spark which is more troublesome and costly.

Bob

ok put gas thought carb and no hit

Darn, no go yet huh?

Let's see you checked compression and it is at 150 psi. That is good,,,check!

Have you tried a new sparkplug? Sometimes it is as simple as that.

When you checked for spark, was it a nice blue spark? A weak yellow spark may not fire under compression.

How much gas did you squirt into the carb? You only need a half teaspoon or so to get it to fire. You may have flooded it. Was the plug wet after you tried starting it? If you flooded it, take the plug out, and spin it over 20-30 times, and dry the plug with a lighter or propane torch. Then reinstall plug, and try it.

You must be sure that you have spark before tearing into the fuel system.

Remember, you need compression, spark, and fuel,,,in that order for the engine to run.

I hope this helps a little,,,Bob

Back