Need Help with a Briggs and Stratton engine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pictures

Okay Fellas her are two pictures of the carb and governor set up.

Picture#1 This is a shot of the carb setup when I have moved the throttle lever on the handlebar to fast idle.You will notice that the white plastic part that is connected to the butterfly valve in the throat of the carb is at one position
BriggsandStratton029.jpg

Picture#2 This is the carb setup when I have moved the throttle on the handlebar to the slow idle position,?Notice that the white plastic part is in the same posiyion.So moving the throttle lever on the handle bar has moved the black metal governor but has not altered the white plastic part at all.this is the deliema as when you move that white plastic part with your finger you can adjust the idle up or down JeeeeGGGG.I hope this all makes sense to you!
BriggsandStratton027.jpg

Thanks
Lawrence

Is the rubber "O" ring worn inbetween the carb and intake tube? I have also seen the carb and tank bent down ever so slightly from bumping into things. While it is running pull up on the bottom of the tank. That will push the carb up against the intake tube. If the engine cleans out you need a new "o" ring.

Take the starter top off and look at the air vane gov, and remove the mouse nest.

LOL yup seen that alot also. Didn't read your last post. Has to be something blocking the linkage.

Throttle cable connected to the wrong place on carb. You have it run in front of the primer bulb. It needs to go behind the inlet and connected into other hole.;)
Or the lever is bound up. In second photo you can see cable bowing outward and not moving lever at all.

Last edited:
Fellas

That lawnmower is as clean as clean can be.One of the first things I did was clean the whole air vain thing.You can not find a blade of grass anywhere,no not that kind of grass!The linkage is not blocked anywhere.as I mentioned in prior posts I can move the linkage with my finger and it runs fine.It is a problem with how the black metal piece,which I think is the governor,is interacting with the throttle spring.The remote handlebar throttle lever moves the black metal governor back and forth no problem, BUT the white throttle part and the spring are somehow not interacting properly with the governor.It has to be the spring don't you fellas think that?But you try and stretch or crimp that spring to get the right tension FORGET IT! You end up all over the high low rev range.Man I think I will just buy a new lawnmower!Not that I have money to buy a new lawnmower when it's probably a simple dumb ass thing I'm not doing right!
Lawrence

The white "v" shaped lever is the throttle blade. It wont move with the lever on the handlebar. It only moves with the governor. I think its open or full throttle at rest. Once the engine starts the governor will pull the lever to idle. I know what your saying about the black lever. It may be bent or bound. :)

When shut off, you wont be able to close the butterfly via the remote throttle. Even closed, there is a small amount of tension on the spring holding it open. Once the engine is running, there is enough force on the gov. vane to overcome the spring tension and close the butterfly.

Does the vane move freely on its pivot bolt?

Hunting, in my experience, is the result of a lean A/F mix.

Is the throttle shaft loose in its bore? That will cause a lean condition you couldn't tune out with a "normal" carb.

When shut off, you wont be able to close the butterfly via the remote throttle. Even closed, there is a small amount of tension on the spring holding it open. Once the engine is running, there is enough force on the gov. vane to overcome the spring tension and close the butterfly.

Does the vane move freely on its pivot bolt?

Hunting, in my experience, is the result of a lean A/F mix.

Is the throttle shaft loose in its bore? That will cause a lean condition you couldn't tune out with a "normal" carb.

I would have to agree with this... I would look for an air leak somewhere in the intake side of your carburetor... Whether it is a new seal on the throttle butterfly arm, a new (or poorly seated) o-ring between the carb and intake tube??
Get you a small propane torch and turn the propane on a little bit (DON'T LIGHT IT) .... then pass the propane torch around all the places air may be pulled into the engine. If the engine "smoothes out", then you have found the source of your air leak.

Good luck finding the problem!

TFB

Please read again

That lawnmower is as clean as clean can be.One of the first things I did was clean the whole air vain thing.You can not find a blade of grass anywhere,no not that kind of grass!The linkage is not blocked anywhere.as I mentioned in prior posts I can move the linkage with my finger and it runs fine.It is a problem with how the black metal piece,which I think is the governor,is interacting with the throttle spring.The remote handlebar throttle lever moves the black metal governor back and forth no problem, BUT the white throttle part and the spring are somehow not interacting properly with the governor.It has to be the spring don't you fellas think that?But you try and stretch or crimp that spring to get the right tension FORGET IT! You end up all over the high low rev range.Man I think I will just buy a new lawnmower!Not that I have money to buy a new lawnmower when it's probably a simple dumb ass thing I'm not doing right!
Lawrence

Seriously fellas I'm not trying to be a pain the posterior,but if you could read the above quote again I think you will see that I have done all that you have said except for running the cable behind the inlet,which I take to mean where the air filter retaining screw goes.To tell you the truth,I'm getting a little down about this, as it seems it's an easy fix for all of you, yet like ascending Mt.Everest for me.The pictures that I took were taken with the engine running in the first picture the governor has been moved to full wide open throttle and in the second the engine is running with the governor moved to slow idle.
All of these actions were done by the use of the handlebar throttle lever which moves the black metal governor.
Thanks
Lawrence

LOL.... I've heard it said that tilling is no easier than hand-turning a garden, just faster. My experience has born that out.. :cheers:

Good luck!

J

Seriously fellas I'm not trying to be a pain the posterior,but if you could read the above quote again I think you will see that I have done all that you have said except for running the cable behind the inlet,which I take to mean where the air filter retaining screw goes.To tell you the truth,I'm getting a little down about this, as it seems it's an easy fix for all of you, yet like ascending Mt.Everest for me.The pictures that I took were taken with the engine running in the first picture the governor has been moved to full wide open throttle and in the second the engine is running with the governor moved to slow idle.
All of these actions were done by the use of the handlebar throttle lever which moves the black metal governor.
Thanks
Lawrence

Lawrence, I understand your frustration. The only time I experienced the same rpm hunting at idle was when there was small black particles in a fuel bowl of a twin cylinder B&S. I had to clean the fuel passages four times to finally get it to run right. I also had a mower years ago that had the throttle cable routed like yours. Hang in there, you'll get it fixed.

Thanks Scott

Lawrence, I understand your frustration. The only time I experienced the same rpm hunting at idle was when there was small black particles in a fuel bowl of a twin cylinder B&S. I had to clean the fuel passages four times to finally get it to run right. I also had a mower years ago that had the throttle cable routed like yours. Hang in there, you'll get it fixed.

I'm still thinking positive,but I tell ya it's getting to be a bit of a pain.One thing is for sure I will be an expert at removing the fuel tank and carb on this mower
Lawrence

If it is running lean, not sure from your description, but you should look at the tube that the carb mounts on, it goes across the top of the block to the intake on the other side, the tube cracks easily.

LOL.... I've heard it said that tilling is no easier than hand-turning a garden, just faster. My experience has born that out.. :cheers:

Good luck!

J

I guess it depends on the garden & tiller? I have been borrowing a tiller for the last few go-rounds and it was MUCH easier than the times I had to do it by hand...but again, could be me/the ground/the tiller - who knows. ;)

Hmmmmmm!

Heh Fellas I just thought about something concerning my problem with the Briggs and Stratton.I think the replacement part I got from the shop was not OME.I will go and check,seems I remember seeing Oregon on the package.If that spring is not the exact replacement part that could be the whole problem.
Lawrence

Thanks
Lawrence

OK, so does the engine stay at idle when you throttle-up, or does it hunt? If it doesnt rev the GOV spring may be too long. If it hunts I think your still too lean. Did you make sure the pick-up tube and screen are clean?

Heh Fellas I just thought about something concerning my problem with the Briggs and Stratton.I think the replacement part I got from the shop was not OME.I will go and check,seems I remember seeing Oregon on the package.If that spring is not the exact replacement part that could be the whole problem.
Lawrence

Hey Lawrence; your resident B&S expert here, I have a couple dozen of those Classics here and from the picts I can see you have the wrong spring on the throttle to govenor connection. Is that an aftermarket or one from some other mower?
Pioneerguy600

Answers to Questions

Fellas this for any of you who kindly replied to my dilemma.I don't want to step on toe's or seem the least bit ungrateful for all that you have done trying to help me fix this problem.BUT if you look at my past posts on this thread I have pretty much listed all that I have done to this carb and governor,linkage etc. to try and fix this.I have had a couple of replies that ask have I done this or that to fix the problem.If I have done it i think I have it listed in prior posts.
Again,I'm not trying to be ungrateful or appreciative to anyone
Many Thanks
Lawrence

Latest posts

Back