Need help with my stihl 026

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bails09

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I can't get it to run. Totally cleaned carb, new gas in it. It will run for a few seconds with a squirt of carb cleaner. When I take the carb apart there is fuel in it. Any thoughts would be helpful. :mad:

It could be many things. Bad crank seals, bad impulse line, low compression, etc. Is the plug new and dry?

Bails,
Welcome aboard. I have two 026's here if you want we can swap out carbs and comfirm or start exchanging parts till it runs. If you got it to fire then its definately in the fuel system. whether the carb or a line but it fires so everything else is working.

PM me I'm in the somerset/hunterdon cnty area.
A

Thanks for the ideas. I replaced the cracked impulse line, fuel line filter and put a carb rebuild kit in. I just need to figure out how to adjust the carb to get to run properly. I can get it to fire now but cant get it to idle. I guess ill have to keep tinkering with the screw settings. I started with 1 1/4 turn out as instructed by the carb manual. Just can't get it right.

Adjusting carbs can be tricky. 1.25 turns is what mine is set at also (or close to it) you'll probably have to turn in your LA screw to get it to idle. 1-1.25 turns out is a ballpark on where it should be but you'll have to fine tune it from there.

I wasn't sure what to do with the LA screw so I should try the 1 1/4 turn out on that one also?

run

Thanks for the ideas. I replaced the cracked impulse line, fuel line filter and put a carb rebuild kit in. I just need to figure out how to adjust the carb to get to run properly. I can get it to fire now but cant get it to idle. I guess ill have to keep tinkering with the screw settings. I started with 1 1/4 turn out as instructed by the carb manual. Just can't get it right.

lean out the low clocwise a little

if it won't idle at all, turn it in about a half turn at a time from where it's at now. Then start it and see if it will idle. Keep doing that until you get a satisfactory idle. If you didn't mess with the adjustments when you rebuilt the carb. it should be close. Does it fire up ok and rev up fine ?

It fires up ok and with lots of throttle it it will rev up but at lower rpm it just wont stay running. I've tried the range of adjustments on the LA screw but just can't seem to get it to run in the lower rpm range. I'm beginning to think it's something other than carb adjustments.

You SURE you got the carb gaskets/diaphrams in the right order? A lot of us have got this wrong at least once...

Did you put a carb kit through it? Sometimes I've found I thought the diaphrams were felt fine but the saw wouldn't run and replacing them cured the problem. Bad diaphrams can cause only running with fuel down the throat

yeah, or
air leak maybe

When you go to let it idle, does it rev up a little and die, or does it just keep loosing RPM's till it quits ?

I'll double check the diaphram gasket order. you never know.

It doesn't rev it just dies out when rpms drop.

i've seen a few posts on the topic.

Immagine my surprise when i took the advise to check the order of the diaphram and gasket and found the order reversed. I'm headed in the right direction. It will now run at lower speed but still can't get it to idle without feathering the throttle.

excellent. Well if it now seems like the rest is running ok, you just need to set the idle screw and low mixture maybe... What happens when you turn the lA screw right up?

Check the rubber boot carefully for cracks if it will not idle even after adjusting. I had one that did the same thing, it would idle up high, but not right. Turned out to be a crack in the boot. Sucking too much air.

Well i think i finally unravled the mystery of the no idle. The very end of the idle adjustment screw broke off and is lodged in the hole. I don't think there is any way to get to it and push it out from the other side. I guess that means i have to buy a new carb. Any recommendations on the best place to get one?

Great idea but not sure that will work. Its the needle end that broke off, not the whole shaft.

Latest posts

Back