Need Help With Part Number - Makita Dolmar 64-7900

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibebruce

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
All Right, Not sure how I broke the pin that works with the e-clip that holds the chain brake spring/linkage asm on,:bang: but I did. Called Bailey's to try and work through what the right part number is. Well I know what it isn't now that the pin arrived. They were great, but not sure what to do next except ask for some help.

It doesn't show on the makita, dolmar, bailey, e-parts sites that I could find.

If someone knows what the number is I would appreciate it, or if they have a busted case, I'd buy the pin from them if they are willing to pop it out of the casting. I'll even take the entire casting if that is what it takes.

Thanks
Bruce

I'm not at my pc right now so I can't look it up for you, but... go to the makita website. Go to products,power equipment,chainsaws,6401 and there'll be an option for you to download the IPL. Then you should be able to figure it out. Good luck!

Pictures to help figure this out

Thanks for the help with this.

The cylindrical pin above looks like it is to couple the metal plate to the linkage and handle.

The one I'm looking for get pressed into the right side casting.

Here some pictures to help.

Huh, that's kind of an important one for the chain break. I'm not sure. It should really be on the IPL. If Baily's couldn't help, try edge and engine...or stop by your local Dolmar dealer(assuming you have one)

Huh, that's kind of an important one for the chain break. I'm not sure. It should really be on the IPL. If Baily's couldn't help, try edge and engine...or stop by your local Dolmar dealer(assuming you have one)

Yep, I can finish tunning the saw without the part, but really need to get it replaced before cutting with the saw.

I checked the Dolmar site. I think I found the same part on the 9010. Unfortunately, it is part of the case assembly and not listed as a separate part.

So, I think I'm SOL. I will give the local dealer a call in the morning, thanks for the thought. If that doesn't work out I will get on the lathe and get one made.

183380d1304917381-7900-png

Solved

Thanks for the help. All I got from the Dolmar dealer was a funny look.

I ended up making a replacement part. The saw is now back together and ready to go.

Wow! Good thing you're mechanically inclined / skilled and own a metal lathe. That's precisely why I by Stihl's, dealer support and ease / availability of parts. Not knocking Dolmar / Makita, but they aren't well supported in my neck of the woods and I don't have your machining skills or tools. Glad to hear you're up and running again. Would sure suck to have such a nicely built machine down.

I understand regarding support, not much local help here either. I have had really good luck (up until this part) in buying what I need online.

I am lucky, I have access to a full CNC machine shop. There is not much that I've ever needed that I couldn't fab myself. Most of the time, it is easier to buy the right part, get the right material and heat treat and not worry about hitting an exact copy of something within a mil.

To make this part it took me 20 minutes on an optical comparitor to measure the old one, then another 1 hour 20 on the lathe. 20 minutes to grind a cutter to for the e-ring groove with a full radius, 10 minutes to match the knurling and get that cut. 15 minutes to flame heat treat it. Lot of time for something that should have just cost a couple of bucks and likely only cost 10 cents to make in production.

When it isn't available, or just priced stupid then I fab it.

I am lucky that when I really want or need something custom I can just build it. You should have seen my MX bike when I was still racing.

Back