Need help with this Stihl 036 QS nightmare. (pic)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyRumore

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I received this saw in a box with all the parts already pulled off the saw. After a bit of head scratching, I was able to indentify all the parts via the IPL and get them installed back in the saw. One of the many pawls was broken, but I replaced it with a good part.

I am not sure if all these pawls, dogs, springs and other B.S. are installed correctly or not. I am thinking not, since the chainbrake stays on all the time.

Can anyone take a look a this pic and tell me if these parts are installed correctly or not?

Tony Rumore

P.S. I looked at the service manual on-line for the QS and the parts shown there are not even close to what I have.

QS036.jpg

Hi i live in Norway and have the 036QS saw ,if you havent found out this by to morrow i can take a picture of the saw i have and post here, and hope that it is the same type .

somtimes the german way...we can do it better with more leavers and parts.....always wondered how the qs set up worked...looks like the oval cam on the crank will only let the chain brake come off onece the chain starts to turn? Must be pretty sharp to get it together that far!

good luck
sap can

Looks like something may be missing at the 3 o clock position see the arm where it looks like something should hook in?

Thats where the brake band hooks in. I just took it off so you could see all the levers better.
Something doesn't look right with the vertical lever hanging straight down (1125 marked), it has a bump on the side of it toward the bar that serves no purpose the way I have the parts installed.

Tony

P.S. I just cracked a beer.....maybe that will help.

I got it! The parts were installed correctly. I just didn't have quite enough slack in the cable to get it to reset. The guy before had monkey'd with it and bent the rod/cable all up, making it just a hair too short.

Tony

Last edited:
I got it! The parts were installed correctly. I just didn't have quite enough slack in the cable to get it to reset. The guy before had monkey'd with it and bent the rod/cable all up, making it just a hair too short.

Tony

Good job! Should make working on precision armaments a comparative breeze...

Back