Need Info on planting some Trees 1200 total

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasper

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have never planted this amount and was wondering how to price this job, The trees are Sycamore, White Oak, Red Oak, & Birch...
Their is 1200 trees total, Their average height is 4ft and all have a very healthy looking root system on them, They was perched from the Forestry Service and all are bare root trees.
The two fields are for the most part clear and clean and pretty even ground with no hills or anything in the way. The owner does not wont them planted in rows he wants them planted sporadic thought the fields along with a flag at each tree....
Any info would be great on a total cost or per tree cost. Labor
Thanks in advance
Jasper

Those are big seedlings, and your soil conditions and planting method will dictate how many you can plant in a day. I will try to attach a couple of handouts I give landowners who are planting their own trees. The hand planting method shown works well in the clayey soils I have to deal with. If the landowners try to do it their way they leave the roots hanging in air with the hole closed only at the top.

Jasper, I can't really help with the pricing on this type of job as my back won't even allow me to visualize planting 1200 trees all at once.

Your bio doesn't say anything about experience in this field and so am hoping you are experienced at correctly planting new trees. I am pleased to hear this individual is interested in a reforestation project and encourage his efforts. But the initial planting and correct irrigation is essential for long term success. So please inform yourself to current methods of planting to ensure the highest rate of survival for these trees.

At least with bareroot you should be able to see the root crown easily; however, as you get into a project this size the fatigue factor and desire and need to finish quickly may take away from the initial careful approach compromising the end result.

If you have not done so, consider hiring others to assist. Have you contacted volunteer groups such as Universities, schools, etc., that can be instructed in the correct manner of planting with you overseeing this project?

Arbor Day is coming up and this may be an excellent project to share with your local club, church or community.

Good luck and happy planting.

Sylvia

True Blue, I particularly like the planting tips handout (your second pdf link) and have added it to my reference material. I believe it is stated concisely and well for the general public with information applicable to many different areas. Thank you.

I was picturing larger whips than I believe your first hand out depicted but easily could be wrong there.

Helpful information, thanks.

Sylvia

True Blue, Thank You for the Planting tip documents, they do have very good info on them, & S MC thank you for your info also, We have experience in planting different types & variety (bare root, potted, and larger root ball) of trees & plants just not on this kind of SCALE........
We are using a one man gas auger with a 6in bit, I am charging by the hour but I was not sure if I would come out better if I charged per tree......
Thank you again for your interest and info
Jasper

For larger seedlings you just repeat the punches and clod lifts as needed. If I don't show landowners how to do it, they rock the bar or shovel forward and back, and then have a slit with a hole below. Then they cram the roots through the slit, and close the top. After you show them how to make a hole efficiently they can place the roots in the ground, and then close with the soil in contact with the roots.

per tree cost. Labor
Thanks in advance
Jasper
record the time to plant ten

multiply by 120

divide by what you need to collect per minute.

auger can glaze planting holes, and funnel roots too deep. planting bars fracture the soil; better root spread with them.

Where in nc--i'm in apex.

Treeseer, I'm in Rowan County. These trees have a very healthy root system on them. The holes on average are 1 to 1 1/2 feet deep and some are 2 feet deep. like I said earlier these trees are 4 ft above the ground and the planting bars just wont get them deep enough with out bending the tap root up, we have very hard clay soil here......
Jasper

I can certainly see how an auger would be a time savings. Perhaps rocking it gently on the extraction would minimize the glazing...

Sylvia

We haven't had a slick sided hole yet, between the roots and rocks all the holes are a little odd shaped...

Latest posts

Back