Need new cylinder & piston - where to buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daddy11ac

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys...the cylinder and piston on my 395xp has been scored pretty bad and I cannot get her started...compression around 50-55 at best....I see the replacement kit at bailey's and was wondering if anyone knew of any other places to check out....it is $250 there and my googling has not turned up any other sources to price it against. Anyone know of any place to check out before I order? Thanks

Have you taken the cylinder off and looked to see how bad it is? My 346 had around 90 and wouldn't run and I got her going by cleaning up the cylinder with muriatic acid, cleaning up the ring groove with a 3 cornered file and put a new ring in it. Came out of it with 145lbs.

I don't know of any aftermarket kits for a 395 (not that there isn't, I just don't know of any). You may be stuck with OEM if you can't fix yours with a little elbow grease.

You might post this down in the chainsaw forum where there's more traffic.

Ian

There's a guy on ebay with them. They are for a 394, so you have to get a new boot on the carb side. Price wasn't bad. Do a search.

Mark

thanks guys.....after rethinking things a little, the cylinder really wasn't as scored as the piston.....so for now i think i'm going to just get the piston kit/gasket kit and see how much that helps. the muffler was clean and there was no carbon build up at all, so im thinking this thing got hot at some point in the past and this was just a matter of time. But it seems it has not been running lean at all. oh well. thanks for the help....I'll take a look on ebay for that cylinder, if the price is right, might be worth grabbing one and having it on hand as I do not plan on ever wanting another saw but this one.

thanks treeman, bookedmarked for future reference.
Got the old saw running today with the new piston and rings, she is running good. Hope to have a lot of pictures up by mid week.

Anthony

Back