Need opinions on new firewood saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orange fever

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I just registered for this forum. I value the opinions of people with real world experience so I would ask you all to share yours. I have been running chainsaws for about 25 years and We are finally moving to the family farm to build a new home this spring. I will be cutting firewood for 4 families. I am the most experienced of all the men, so I will be doing most of the cutting. I do not cut huge trees, maybe up to 30 inches. This saw will see alot of use. I do not want to be short on horsepower. I do not want a bar any longer than 20". I am considering either a Husqvarna 357xp or 575xp. I was also intrigued by the Echo CS520 or CS670. I am leaning toward the 575xp, but I really don't want more weight than is neccesary. Between us we have 5 Poulan saws of varying sizes so I have the trimming, felling, etc. covered with those saws. I just want one good strong saw for most of the cutting to length of the bigger stuff, say 8"-30". Your opinions will be greatly appreciated. PS I am not a Stihl fan, just from my experience with them I am not impressed, so please stick to Husky or Echo.

Why limit to Husky or Echo? I imagine it is due to a good dealer in the area?

The 575 is a bit portly for all around use.....the 372 may or may not make it back into your local.....If you have a Dolmar dealer I would check out the 7300 or 7900 The Echos are OK though I am rather non plussed at what they are power wise

As one of the resident Jonsered nuts here, I would say take a look at the 2171. Basically the same saw as the Husky 372 but with a better handlebar (I think), purdier colors, and a dang sight easier to find. Lighter than the 575, too. And with a 20" bar it's just stupid fast. Wears a 24" bar with pride, too, and can hang with a 28-inch in a pinch.

Welcome to the 'hood.

As one of the resident Jonsered nuts here, I would say take a look at the 2171. Basically the same saw as the Husky 372 but with a better handlebar (I think), purdier colors, and a dang sight easier to find. Lighter than the 575, too. And with a 20" bar it's just stupid fast. Wears a 24" bar with pride, too, and can hang with a 28-inch in a pinch.

Welcome to the 'hood.

Id pick 372xp for better colors and handlebar angle :hmm3grin2orange:

But seriously, husky should be tad lighter than jonsie (353 feels lighter than 2152)....

But seriously, husky should be tad lighter than jonsie (353 feels lighter than 2152)....

How close is Finland to Chernobyl? Anything getting in your water over there, Blis??? :D

Okay..just because nobody else has said it yet...Dolmar 7900...nothing else in it's class comes close as far as power to weight

Oops...didn't read all of Pest's reply...my bad

Welcome to the site!

Given that you have some other saws already for the smaller work, I'd probably jump up to a 70cc+ saw with a short bar for the sort of work that you are considering for the saw. You can do this sort of thing with a smaller saw, maybe in the 60cc range, if funds are tight. Since you are averse to Stihl, I'd suggest looking at the following models:

Husqvarna/Jonsered
372/2171
357/2156
359/2159

Echo
CS 6700 (but then only if you're getting a really, really good price)

Dolmar

Any of these machines will be competent with a 20" bar, and the larger saws will not be short on power with a 20" bar and will make very quick work of whatever you're cutting. The advantage of going with one of the larger powerheads is that you can also run a 28" bar in those instances where it will be more efficient to do so. If I were in your shoes and actually needed this saw for heating purposes and all, I'd do it once, do it right and get an honest 70cc+ saw from a manufacturer that has good dealer support in your area.

My 7900/20" setup is my go-to saw. It doesn't weigh that much and makes quick work of a very hard 20"+ hickory log:

Hickory_Cookies.jpg

Hello all, I just registered for this forum. I value the opinions of people with real world experience so I would ask you all to share yours. I have been running chainsaws for about 25 years and We are finally moving to the family farm to build a new home this spring. I will be cutting firewood for 4 families. I am the most experienced of all the men, so I will be doing most of the cutting. I do not cut huge trees, maybe up to 30 inches. This saw will see alot of use. I do not want to be short on horsepower. I do not want a bar any longer than 20". I am considering either a Husqvarna 357xp or 575xp. I was also intrigued by the Echo CS520 or CS670. I am leaning toward the 575xp, but I really don't want more weight than is neccesary. Between us we have 5 Poulan saws of varying sizes so I have the trimming, felling, etc. covered with those saws. I just want one good strong saw for most of the cutting to length of the bigger stuff, say 8"-30". Your opinions will be greatly appreciated. PS I am not a Stihl fan, just from my experience with them I am not impressed, so please stick to Husky or Echo.

First welcome to to site,
I'm one to say don't limit youself and go for the 575. Seems the bugs have been worked out, use a 40:1 mix.
That being said, There are other Saws to look at Jonsered 2171 would be a good choice or the 2186 would match the weight close to the 575xp.

Nothing wrong with the 357xp if your not doing alot of 30 inchers.

Visit your local dealers and let that help with your decision. Many of them have a demo to let you get the feel of the machine. I have always thought Echo was a little on the heavy side for the power. I run Husky for firewood and trees of 30 inch I use my logging saw 385XP. I use a 350 on the lighter stuff with 18" bar. The longer the bar the less you have to bend over or reach on trim jobs.
Everyone has a favorite and it is exciting to be able to purchase a new saw, so take your time and get what is right for you. I am sure there is some lemons out there, but most of the name brands will serve you well.:chainsaw: :greenchainsaw:

Welcome

I agree with most of the posts on here about saws. I have the 575xp and think it is a great saw. It sips gas, starts easy, balances well in both directions, and doesn't like to collect saw dust like my Stihl MS290. That being said I admit that the 290 is not a pro saw and wouldn't expect it to be as good as the 575.(not to mention the huge power difference) I would have to look at the Dolmar 7300 or 7900 also. The price is definitely good compared to the Stihl. I personally have never run one, but am waiting anxiously for that day to arrive. I do think you would be happy with the 575, it is a bit heavy compared to some of the other saws, but if your cutting a lot of rounds on the ground and you keep your chain sharp, the weight actually works for you. Either way if you buy a Husky, Stihl or Dolmar "Pro" saw there really aren't many bad ones. It's kind of like the old Ford -vs- Chevy debate. Whatever you do, as soon as you buy the one saw you want, stay away from this site or you will be buying another one in a few months!

Husky 385XPG - you will have all the power you could ever ask for, and you will work efficiently. Team that with a 357XP for limbing and you will have a wicked combo.

Check out a slightly warmed over 385XP with a SHARP work chain - not race chain. LINK

Right on Blis:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: Don't know about the wieght difference.:biggrinbounce2: :biggrinbounce2:

I have a 575 for the bigger stuff and a 361 for limbing. This combo has worked well for me. My old man uses a 372 and 357. The 575/372 are a little on the porky side for limbing but is duable.

:lifter: Hey, they have the same weight :looser:
And Jonsered have the best handlebar angle, and are the best looking saw
attachment.php

:love1:

Cutting wood for 4 houses, the investment into a pro quality saw will be worth your while.

Myself I would go with a 372 or 7900 and then a small saw to back it up.

Stihl 260, Husky 346, or Dol 5100 or step up to the 60 cc size and look at the 359 on price point.

I think that all of the saws mentioned are probably good ones. I have to note for what it's worth, that I think the Echo saws are far under rated by many. With regard to the CS-670 specifically, I don't think that you can find a better built, more dependable saw period. As far as performance, it is surely no 7900, but IMHO still built better than Dolmar (which I think are great saws). I read posts on here for a while and start thinking that I need something faster than my CS-670, then I go out and run it and am impressed every time. Do doubt that there are faster, lighter saws, but bang-for-the-buck (especially e-bay prices), the CS-670 is tops in my book. Just my $.02

Latest posts

Back