Need Poulan 3400 starter pulley

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suspect the two are interchangeable. The 3700 wasn't produced very long in green. 1980 - 1984. 4000 1983 - 1988. Maybe that's why the red Craftsman 3700's used the 3400 setup as they went on longer.

I have two green Canadian 3700's that were marketed as 3400's but the displacement on the recoil label is 61cc. Likely to use up parts.

I had a look at a Micro pulley today. The pawl engagement piece is a direct copy of the 3400 pulley and the spring engagement side is very close. Less than .010" difference.

Aside from losing some mechanical advantage due to the small rope pulley size. the only issue with trying one out is the post hole is a about .008" smaller on the micro pulley. No issue boring it out if the hole was straight walled but it's tapered.

Interesting thought though.
i thought they looked alot alike...yea all the ones i have broke were used ones so its hard to say how old they are....and its one saw that does it the other one knock on wood has not done it yet...heck i may try to use a micro gear i have alot of them.....

some of these saws are 40 years old with these plastic pulleys working just fine, i actually have never had one of my saws fail with this pulley, if properly used with a new pulley a bet you can get another 40 years out of the saw, lasting longer than most humans these days. It is kinda like the anti vibe bushings or rear handle, people pinch their saw and start yanking on the handle and bingo they break the handle and or AV mounts. I always like this one, the saw or mower runs fine it just needs a new recoil spring or rope!!!! (because i pulled it so many times trying to start it)
I am not a Ham fist LOL and its only been this one saw.... maybe the timing is off...None of my recoil gears have been brand new ....

I am not a Ham fist LOL and its only been this one saw.... maybe the timing is off...None of my recoil gears have been brand new ....

I tried advancing the timing by about 5 degrees on a 3400 and kicked back hard. I put it back as I figured the pulley would cave in no time.
I know others have pushed the timing with no issues so maybe it was this particular saw.

One thing people tend to do, at least on a bunch of older saws I've bought, is set the dog springs back too far creating more tension than necessary.
The springs only need enough tension to return them to their rest point. The stiffer the spring, the sooner they return causing them to grab the starter pulley at a higher crankshaft speed.

It's always a good idea to pull the cord out 6 inches or so when shutting down before it quits to soften the stop.

I may have sheared something.. it had a bad pully when i bought it... and i fixed it with a used one ... did the lines and carb and it worked good went to fire it up just to run it and the starter pawl hung up plastic every where... fixed it again and it yanked the handle out my hand was in high idle ate the gear broke the pawl.... put it back together and its been sitting on the shelf...i bought one for parts but it was so nice i did fuel lines and carb and it was good... could not see taking parts off a good runner LOl....it may have moved the fly wheel on one of the times....may have had a bad starter pawl and i did not notice it....next time i take it apart i will look.... no one knows it does not run up on the shelf ....hahaha

One thing people tend to do, at least on a bunch of older saws I've bought, is set the dog springs back too far creating more tension than necessary.
The springs only need enough tension to return them to their rest point. The stiffer the spring, the sooner they return causing them to grab the starter pulley at a higher crankshaft speed.

It's always a good idea to pull the cord out 6 inches or so when shutting down before it quits to soften the stop.

got ya ...

Thanks guys appreciate the feedback.I found 1 thanks to a gentleman on here. Sorry took do long to reply been dealing with a very sick grandson.

Looking for the same starter pulley, I kick myself for not buying a few while they were still available. My 3400 is a straight up work horse, it's just a paper weight with out a pulley. My teeth broke and can't find one anywhere recommendation greatly appreciated. I'd, love to get one and take it to a friend that has a 3D printer, there still seems to be a decent market for this part.

Poulan-pulley.JPG Poulan-pulley-2.JPG

Latest posts

Back