Need Poulan 3400 starter pulley

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you look at both sides of the one I have and posted? It says 3400 on it and the cast in part number on the housing is the same as the eBay one. So methinks that some 3400's had one kind and others had the other kind. But I don't remember if this is a saw I parted out or if I got a bunch of misc parts somewhere along the way, so I can't be sure...
I also know that there tends to be a lot of variations in Poulan saws. Worked on the 2000 series for a while and was amazed how many different clutches, bearings and sprockets they used on those.

Your pulley is for a 4000. There were three different pulley designs. 3400 and 3800 shared one and the red Craftsman 3.7's (3700) used that design as well. The 3700 and 4000 had different pulleys but the starter dogs are the same so they are interchangeable.

The only difference are the starter dogs on the flywheels. They are staked in place and are not offered separate from the flywheel. Maybe your 3400 starter cover came off a 4000 or a 4000 flywheel may have been put on the 3400. I have driven the staked in dogs and changed them out. They are a splined pin (like a wheel stud on a car) and can be driven out from the back of the flywheel.
Not sure why they stopped making the 3400 pulley as the last stock disappeared quickly.

Looking at the rest of my parts, I'm sure this starter came off a 3400 as all the other parts are labeled (by me) as 3400. So maybe like was stated, it could be they had different flywheel setup on the saw. I believe I parted out this saw and sold the crankcase and rear handle off of it because it was scored.
I still have the clutch parts, muffler, top cover, air filter cover and the little chain catcher brace. I don't have the flywheel.

Still post up the pics of your broken pulley, now that I know it doesn't look like the one I have, maybe I need to take another look. Does anyone know what other models of Poulans it may have been used on?

Exactly what Fossil said, that pulley on the 3400 housing is for a 4000, someone changed it at some point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b9051ee283e32ce64245eeb6ca2d747a.jpg
here are the three 3400 3700 4000

Now why did they make three different parts to accomplish the same purpose? I'm baffled.

They likely wanted metal to metal on the 3700 and 4000 as the compression is higher on those saws. They all worked well but 30+ years takes a toll on the plastic. They should have stuck with all metal like Homelite did.
Cost is always a big factor.

Well, since the part I have isn't what the OP needs for his saw, I'll send it off in a different direction. Hope you find what you need.

They likely wanted metal to metal on the 3700 and 4000 as the compression is higher on those saws. They all worked well but 30+ years takes a toll on the plastic. They should have stuck with all metal like Homelite did.
Cost is always a big factor.

so how would you got about changing it over i have been through 3 of these things on my one saw it kicks back and breaks the old plastic....wish they were metal... i take it you would need a flywheel and matching metal gear.... would the fly wheel still work on the craftsman 3.7 its solid state not points ....man the metal one is nice much better ....what the fly wheel dawgs look like on them?

Now i know why i see so many with a drilled out bolt in place....to bad you could not use one off a micro and change out the dawgs LOL i have 10 of those.....I know I know its a joke....I bet some one has modified one before!!!hmmmm .....there should be a thread show us your best Jerry rig......

Now i know why i see so many with a drilled out bolt in place....to bad you could not use one off a micro and change out the dawgs LOL i have 10 of those.....I know I know its a joke....I bet some one has modified one before!!!hmmmm .....there should be a thread show us your best Jerry rig......

The 3700 and 4000 pulleys are still plastic even though they have inserted metal.
If your saw is kicking back a lot, something is not right.

I have thought about a metal pulley swap but that's as far as I got.

some of these saws are 40 years old with these plastic pulleys working just fine, i actually have never had one of my saws fail with this pulley, if properly used with a new pulley a bet you can get another 40 years out of the saw, lasting longer than most humans these days. It is kinda like the anti vibe bushings or rear handle, people pinch their saw and start yanking on the handle and bingo they break the handle and or AV mounts. I always like this one, the saw or mower runs fine it just needs a new recoil spring or rope!!!! (because i pulled it so many times trying to start it)

I had a look at a Micro pulley today. The pawl engagement piece is a direct copy of the 3400 pulley and the spring engagement side is very close. Less than .010" difference.

Aside from losing some mechanical advantage due to the small rope pulley size. the only issue with trying one out is the post hole is a about .008" smaller on the micro pulley. No issue boring it out if the hole was straight walled but it's tapered.

Interesting thought though.

The 4000 & 3700, 395, 375 are all interchangeable, those cracks in the 4000 pulley are factory cracks from pressing the metal hub into the pulley, I have never had one fail. I do have some without the crack and one that still has the plastic on top of the hub from the mold

Back