Need saw chain combo for mixed size hardwoods.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shady Brook

Reaction score
I appologize for this question as I am sure it has been beat to death. I am again considering a new saw. A fried is having a lot cleared and is giving me several trees that have been cut in 12 foot lengths. The trees are some cherry with mostly living Burr Oak. I cut alot of firewood for my home, but only take dead, primarily oak, trees. Fresh Burr in the 36" range with a lot of crotches is harder then I remember.

Anyway I am using an old 038 Super. I took of the 24" bar a long time ago in favor of the 20" as it pulls it lots better. I am getting through the wood, but it is less then pleasant.

I would like some input on a saw of the larger size that I can more effectively buck these bigger 30"-36" sections, but also be manageable on the smaller 18" stuff. I do not know how long the 038 will last.

I do some takedowns in my landscape business, but not many, mostly if for firewood that I burn, and off and on some I sell.

I have been looking hard at the local Dolmar dealer and am very interested in the 7900. This seems like a great all around saw, but would love opinions.

Also if it would be good to run a skip chain....I like the idea, but am not sure where to find them in IN, unless ordered out of state.

Thanks in advance.

I would say to go with an Stihl ms460 & add the dual port muffler. I'm pretty sure you will also be able to use the old chains from the 038 if you stay with a 24" bar. Add a second saw in the ms260 size with a 16" or 18" bar for limbing work.
It's always good idea to have 2 saws with you in case one gets pinched/stuck.

Ed

The linked thread covers the issue pretty well, along with this thread: http://arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=37546

My two cents: it depends on how often you're going to need a really big saw. If only occasionally, then the 7900 is perfect. It will be in the same size/weight class as your 038 but pack a lot more punch. If you anticipate regularly needing to run a 28"+ bar, though, get the right tool for the job: a 660 (with the DP muffler cover, of course).

As for the skip chain, any competent saw shop should have it in stock, though many power equipment dealers who also happen to sell saws don't have it in stock. If your usual saw shop does not, just order a couple loops up from one of the arboristsite sponsors.

Never run either one, but have only heard one complaint about the 7900, just the one. The 7900 seems to have gained a huge following on here ad elsewhere. I am reading more and more about people selling Huskies and Stihls to go Dolmar. If you have a good dealer and feel comfortable with the saws, I would suggest either the 7900 or the 9010, backed up with a 5100s. Just my suggestion, and do take it as that.
And welcome to AS!
Andy

My guess is that the 7900-series are pretty good saws by now - they have made a long list of changes to them since the first ones.

Someone posted the list some time ago - 166 or Cuttinscott?????

I am pretty sure that I would have owned one by now, if the closed dealer hadn't been about 1000 miles away.......

Last edited:
90cc plus. Stihl, Husky, Solo, Dolmar whatever brand has the best dealer reputation around you. It will be expensive so parts and service are important. If they will not let you demo one in wood, I would move on. They might ask you to come in a different day so as you can try a costumer's saw. The first time I saw this it surprised me but when the guy brought in his saw for the demo he did a better job selling the customer a new one then the salesman.

Thanks for the great replys fellas. Funny those two links that were posted, I read yesterday, both were very good. Both were reasons leading me too the 7900. I was thinking two saws are better then one, but actually the more the merrier! I do have a little 3400 Echo, but it does not do much good in a pinch situation. I figure to use the 038 as a backup, or to run a smaller bar. Would the bars be interchangeable on the 7900?

I would love to get an older 066 before all the emission stuff, but they are kind of pricey, and you don't know for sure what you are getting if you can find a decent one.

I have two good Stihl dealers nearby, and the Dolmar dealer so would likely go that route as oppose to Husky. They are only in the box stores around here, and figure parts and service may be a problem.

Is the 9010 close to a 660 Stihl? I would probably be fine with the 7900 as often as I would need it, and with a 20-24" bar, I bet it would be one mean sucker.

Thanks again for all your help!

I cannot help you with the large new Dolmar chainsaws. I have not seen a running one, only parts machines. No dealers near me. I am not impressed with the Makita cutoff saws which Dolmar makes. Poorly constructed starter and kind of cheap feeling overall.

One thing to remember is there are a lot of after market parts available for Stihl and Husky. Not so much for Dolmars.

Perhaps ask the dealers in your area for used ones or to be on the waiting list for a used large saw.

Justsaws said:
... The first time I saw this it surprised me but when the guy brought in his saw for the demo he did a better job selling the customer a new one then the salesman.

:laugh: :laugh:

..but not really surpricing....;)

Shady Brook said:
.... I figure to use the 038 as a backup, or to run a smaller bar. Would the bars be interchangeable on the 7900? ...
Not really, as the larger Dolmars use the large Husky mount (Oregon D009), while Stihl use their own mount - D025 in Oregon lingo.

I have read about adapters (Madsens and/ or Walker????) making it possible to use Stihl bars on an large Husky mount, but the other way around is not practical, even though it may be possible.

Latest posts

Back