Need some advice on a new saddle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
defensiblespace

defensiblespace

ArboristSite Operative
I'm a certified arborist, but am new to climbing. I am taking a climbing course here soon and am looking for a good saddle to fit my needs as well as some advice on what basic equipment to get. Where I live, we deal almost exclusively with excurrent tree forms (pine and fir). I will be doing spiked climbing for removals and spikeless pruning. I'm thinking of a saddle with the seat as opposed to the leg straps because I already own a Weaver with the floating D that has leg straps. I need the second saddle for my business partner, so I would like to have something different. I can afford to spend between 2 and 3 hundred. What saddles are suggested for what we will be doing? Also, what split tail set ups are people using that they swear by? Any advice on flip line adjusters would be helpful as well since I've been using the becket hitch.

Stihl066

Stihl066

ArboristSite Lurker
I had the buckingham deluxe master, then my boss bought me the petzl sequia. i haven't went back to the buckingham since. I love it, its light, breathable, and very comfortable. it also folds up very nice and isnt bulky for storage. i use a micrograb for my safetyline. i love it. and i use bee line eye and eye. i've had the same one now since spring, and haven't burned it up yet, and use it all the time. :deadhorse:

defensiblespace

defensiblespace

ArboristSite Operative
Yeah sorry. I realize I'm beating a dead horse with this thread. Good advice though. Im leaning toward the Weaver Cougar with the seat as opposed to the leg straps. I found one on Wesspur. Anybody have any experience with this saddle? I know a lot of people like the Cougar with the leg straps.

TreEmergencyB

TreEmergencyB

ArboristSite Guru
i dont mean to be a ass but how does one become a certified arborist and new to climbing, how would you know how to cable or rod a tree if you havnt been climbing...you learn that in a book? I though someone told me you have to treework for X amount of years b4 you can become certfied. Ima guess thats not true as guys on here are straight out of college saying they are certifed and never strapped on the spikeS?

o as for the question i think im getting the ErgoVation next

Koa Man

Koa Man

Kahuna giganticus
You don't have to have ever climbed a tree to become an ISA certified arborist. Here in Hawaii I know of many men and women who are certified and have never climbed a tree. To me, that is like saying I am a master plumber, welder, carpenter, etc., but I never did any of the actual work, but I did read all the books.

That is one of the reasons I did not bother to renew as a certified arborist in 2004, after being one for 9 years.

Getting back on topic, I have the Tree Motion and like it a lot. My previous saddle was the NT Pro.

Last edited:
clearance

clearance

Addicted to ArboristSite
You don't have to have ever climbed a tree to become an ISA certified arborist. Here in Hawaii I know of many men and women who are certified and have never climbed a tree. To me, that is like saying I am a master plumber, welder, carpenter, etc., but I never did any of the actual work, but I did read all the books.

Well said, most people are shocked when you tell them this. The most climbing a lot of these arborists have ever done is climbing off their boyfriend. Lol. Just joking....

defensiblespace

defensiblespace

ArboristSite Operative
i dont mean to be a ass but how does one become a certified arborist and new to climbing, how would you know how to cable or rod a tree if you havnt been climbing...you learn that in a book? I though someone told me you have to treework for X amount of years b4 you can become certfied. Ima guess thats not true as guys on here are straight out of college saying they are certifed and never strapped on the spikeS?

o as for the question i think im getting the ErgoVation next

Hey no offense taken. There are consulting arborists, nursery workers, foresters, state employees and all kinds of arborists who do not climb. The exam is very broad as far as knowledge goes, but many arborists focus on some aspect of that required knowledge. I personnally worked pruning ornamental shrubs for a landscaper for many years and have been removing trees in the open forest for many years as well. I subbed out my climbing work in the past, but felt the need to broaden my knowledge and marketability by taking the arborist exam. Also, you do not need any specific climbing experience to take the exam, just an understanding of how it is done. I hope this answers your question. Once again, sorry to beet a dead horse with the saddle question,

Latest posts