Need some guidance tuning a Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boda65

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I need a little guidance. I sharpen a couple saws for an older friend of mine. He is not a chainsaw fanatic, just a homeowner with a couple saws for grounds upkeep. He mentioned that this 025 of his runs and cuts great, but won't idle, so I said I'd look at it.
Here's where I get lost. I mostly dabble in vintage saws. The tuning consists of high, low, and idle speed. This saw has L and LA. Yes, I realize I live in the dark ages and probably every saw made in the last 20 or 30 years is like this, but I do not have experience with it. Could someone give me a brief overview of tuning this saw? I did search this site, and came up with a lot of high speed tuning info, but I am having problems with idle.
On a side note, this saw has what looks like a piece of tubing coming up from the fuel tank with a couple of set screws in it? WTH is that? Here is a pic of it. The HO doesn't mess with his saws, so I'm guessing it came that way.
stihlwtf.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help.

Brad has given you good advice as usual.

While you are in there, have a look at the fuel line and impulse line. Someone brought a new looking little Stihl saw to me last year to try and help them diagnose a hard starting problem. The fuel line looks like it was made from aligator hide...

Mark

"Won't idle" is frequently a gummed-up idle circuit in the carb...

You got the perfect advice so far.

I'll second the part about the fuel line though.

Since this is a only partially adjustable carb, if you cant get a satisfactory result with idle, its possible you need to check the fuel line & gaskets on the carb itself. The other thing to look at is the muffler. My dad has a non adjustable carb on his ms180 and it wouldnt idle properly. I tried tweaking it a bit but to no avail. I pulled the muffler & sure enough there was a decent amount of carbon build up on the the screen. Once i gave it a good clean the thing idled like brand new.

Good luck!

Back