Need some help with a chainsaw oiler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigeclipse

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok so my chainsaw has been leaking some bar oil(I find small puddles of it when I let it sit). It is a Stihl ms201T. So I have watched videos on a MS200 (which is very similar) to check different things. It appears most of the oil was actually leaking from the fill cap so I replaced that rubber gasket but here is another potential issue I have found. When taking apart the saw to inspect the oiler and hoses, the video showed the person unscrewing what they called a worm gear. my worm gear does not really screw or unscrew and according the video this means the threads are likely stripped and I would need a new one. Here is the thing, the threads look mint so then I looked closer at the adjuster thing for the oiler. I am sorry I don't know the names of these parts. When you turn the adjustment screw, the little thing that makes contact with the worm gear does visually does nothing. I do not see it move in anyway. Should it move when you turn the oil adjustment screw? If so, what exactly do I need to replace? Thanks!

Most saws leak a little - the oil supply is not a closed circuit... changes in temperature will cause pressurization of the oil tank and push oil out the regular supply route little by little.
Thanks but what about the statement I said about the adjuster...does that sound like it is broken?

I do not own this model but looking at pics on the net the oil pump seems to be designed like the ones in their other pro models.
The worm gear on the crankshaft drives a piston with a slanted adjuster-side end and a notched pump-side end which scoops up and pushes oil through two ports in the cylinder housing each rotation/reciprocation. The adjuster will move that piston slightly up/down (almost not visible), causing a change in oil volume throughput per rotation. If the oiler works (chain is lubricated sufficiently/oil is pumped out of the bar mount oil bore) there should be no problem.
I do not think there are individual parts available for the pump - it is probably sold as an assembly. These pumps usually last longer that the saw...
The worm gear is a wear part that can be replaced when worn but will not cause an oil leakage.

Chainsaws leak bar oil out of the tank due to the tank being vented. Temperature change can lead to the saw weeping. If you want to cut down the amount of oil lost then store the saw empty.

If the saw was oiling before you started poking it then the oiler is probably working, if you are concerned about the functionality of the adjuster reassemble the saw and try adjusting the oiler in steps.

You are not going to see anything moving when adjusting the oiler.

The worm gear might unscrew if the oil pump is very stiff, does not mean either part is damaged.

Chainsaws leak bar oil out of the tank due to the tank being vented. Temperature change can lead to the saw weeping. If you want to cut down the amount of oil lost then store the saw empty.

If the saw was oiling before you started poking it then the oiler is probably working, if you are concerned about the functionality of the adjuster reassemble the saw and try adjusting the oiler in steps.

You are not going to see anything moving when adjusting the oiler.

The worm gear might unscrew if the oil pump is very stiff, does not mean either part is damaged.
thanks but I literally fill the saw set it down and 10 minutes later there is a small puddle of oil on the ground. Checked hoses, checked for cracks in the oiler. The only thing I can think of is the oil fill cap was leaking but not 100% sure.

Remove bar and chain.
Remove what is needed to see oiler.
Empty the oil out of the saw.
Clean the saw of oil and dust, use a light solvent. Rinse out oil tank. You will want to clean the cap area very well.
Let saw sit with oil cap off, tank empty for a bit and clean again without re-rinsing tank.
Saw needs to be clean and dry.

With cap off, place saw on a piece of cardboard. Wait a bit longer than you would normally wait to see the leak. Check cardboard for oil spots. Need to be vigilant in order to find spots before they are big enough to confuse origin. You may want to place a bit of whit paper towel over the bar oiler discharge so as not to have to keep recleaning the side of the saw with solvent. Do not place tape anywhere near bar oiler or tank vent, things got to breath.

If no oil spots, close cap. Wait again, check for oil spots.

If no oil spots, put in just enough oil to cover oil pick line opening but not enough to get to the oil filler cap. May have to prop saw weirdly to achieve this. Oiler pickup needs to be submerged but just barely. Wait, check for spots.

If no spots, fill oil to halfway up oil cap. Wait.

If no spots fill all the way. Wait.

What you are looking for is a source hint. Lots of leak possibilities. A supply of QTips to swab suspected areas is useful. Bright red bar lube is also useful.

Generally, after filling the tank on tiny saws there will be a bit of weeping until tank pressure has normalized, especially if the tank has been filled to the brim. A little bit, basically enough to normalize plus a bit of siphoning. Not a 1/4 tank unless weird temps and such. Saw will weep out bar oiler discharge, tank vent. Other places are leaks.

It is not uncommon for oiler systems to leak where pick line transfers through case to the oil pump and where the oil pump discharges to the case. Often a new rubber bits will fix the leaks.

Back