Need some quick help on a skid steer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjnspecial

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Local guy is selling an older model John Deere Skid Steer with solid tires, a set of steel tracks, pallet forks and a bucket for $3250. It has a 4 cylinder diesel engine in it. He said it's an older one and is unsure of the model# or how many hours. He said it starts up and runs fine....assuming it does run well, is this a pretty good deal?

That is a very good deal if it runs and operates as it should. Those solid tires will shake your teeth out and beat your kidneys to pulp though.
Jeff

Local guy is selling an older model John Deere Skid Steer with solid tires, a set of steel tracks, pallet forks and a bucket for $3250. It has a 4 cylinder diesel engine in it. He said it's an older one and is unsure of the model# or how many hours. He said it starts up and runs fine....assuming it does run well, is this a pretty good deal?

If it cranks and runs, just how much cheaper do you think it will get? $3250 sounds pretty cheap to me.

Sounds like a good deal, you'd have that much in the pallet forks, tracks and solid tires easily. It would be worth a look, but it almost sounds to cheap, check the fluids and see what they look like, it might tell a story.

I'm hoping it's not a basket case too. Guy says that he bought a fence business lock stock and barrel and he has no use for it. We'll see in the morning.

Doesn't sound like a bad deal at all. Do you have an idea how old it is? John Deere, Hitachi, and Bell all have partnerships together. They build all different equipment for each other. The skid steer could be American, Japanese, or South African. Not that this anything to do with your question, I'm just offering a little history. That skid steer is probably a good unit. Main thing is to check for any cracks or welds. Check the pins for any major slop, and check for signs that its greased. Any cracking, dry rotting hoses? Also, another sign of possible issues is if all the hydraulic hoses and electrical wiring are all painted the same color as the machine. It shows that there might have been a major issue that someone was trying to cover up.

Went and looked at it this morning. The owner had it running when I showed up which made me wonder about it. It was hard to start and was leaking hydro fluid(that looked like rusty water) from one of the cylinders. It was also really slow to turn to the left. Needless to say, I passed.

Latest posts

Back