Need to buy reliable, 60hp+ backyard grinder, which one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a1stump

Any Stump, Anywhere!
Reaction score
I SC372 and a SC50tx. I am very happy with the way these machines handle the stumps I task them with, yet the SC50tx is breakdown all the time and I have maintain this thing like nobody else and throw new parts at it with any question, just because I am desperate to have it running asap. I want to keep both machines and add another large backyard stump grinder. I have heard that the SC60tx still has bugs, but I like them a lot. I also have had my eye on a Carlton 7015, but can't decide if I would want the wheeled or tracked version? Keeping my SC50tx would make it awesome to have a large wheeled machine to go with the large tracked machine, but I have heard they may be top heavy and tippy, is this true? I've demoed lots of grinders and most machines if they have 50+hp power, there isn't a huge difference with a little more HP, yet I want something that is gonna be very, very, reliable and easy to use on all types of jobs, since I would like the new machine to go out on 90% of my stump jobs. FYI, I put about 35 hours a week on my grinders.

That is a lot of hours per week! I'm running a 7015 track and really happy with it. I came from a large tow behind and small self propelled combo and went the track route. Kept my small machine but don't really use it much. Very happy with the 7015 track

That's what I have been hearing, the carlton's are good machines. What year and engine is yours? I have been looking at a couple 2006's, but nothing is near me, so I would have to trust a site unseen purchase, so almost worth it to pony up the additional 30-40k and go new.

I SC372 and a SC50tx. I am very happy with the way these machines handle the stumps I task them with, yet the SC50tx is breakdown all the time and I have maintain this thing like nobody else and throw new parts at it with any question, just because I am desperate to have it running asap. I want to keep both machines and add another large backyard stump grinder. I have heard that the SC60tx still has bugs, but I like them a lot. I also have had my eye on a Carlton 7015, but can't decide if I would want the wheeled or tracked version? Keeping my SC50tx would make it awesome to have a large wheeled machine to go with the large tracked machine, but I have heard they may be top heavy and tippy, is this true? I've demoed lots of grinders and most machines if they have 50+hp power, there isn't a huge difference with a little more HP, yet I want something that is gonna be very, very, reliable and easy to use on all types of jobs, since I would like the new machine to go out on 90% of my stump jobs. FYI, I put about 35 hours a week on my grinders.
WOW....35 HOURS A WEEK. That means you should be grossing about 15k a week. If your not your working to cheap imo.

Give or take a couple bucks, some of those hours go on the smaller grinder too though and it doesn't bring in as much pay, but pretty close. Fixed my sc50tx and content for now, but it will break on me again and then I may consider buying a 7015. I had carlton send me a sample pocket and tooth they use, I think it is sandvik? But the teeth are $15or$16 vs. $9.50 for the vermeer teeth and they have more cutters than vermeer. That is a huge expense, as I use about 30 a week already with only 6 cutters vs. 16 cutters is what I think carlton told me the sandvik wheel uses. $60 for a change out on cutters vs. a couple hours, big difference and we are in a river city where there is more rock than dirt.

If that amount of hours is correct, you will pretty much have to invest a bunch in any grinder you buy.
After 20 of your weeks even a brand new 7015 will need new bearings, belts and other stuff at a spicy price, another 20 and even more things may need an overhaul. But probably with that workload you should be able to buy an new machine every 30 weeks:rolleyes:.

I would ad something, that can do things you can't do right now, for example additional grinding depth.
Can't really see how all these grinders out there are happy with a 40-50k machine, that can only grind 15" deep, of which you loose 7" to the chip pile you stand on.

For sure, most backyard jobs don't need any more depth, but from time to time, and this at least happens in my case, 25-30" are needed and than it becomes tricky. Sadly not many manufacturers have recognized what their customers need.

regards

The sc50tx just has the main bearing to worry about on the lower gearbox, which I have been getting about 1,000-1,500 hours out of it. We did have a windstorm that we have just caught up with, where we have weeks of 40+ hours and now back to the norm of close to 20 hours per week. All grinders take a beating, the problems I have had recently are electrical and computer malfunction, I keep a sharp and well oiled and greased machine, changing filters at least double the manufactures recommendations, depending on how dirty we get :) I can deal bearings and stuff like that, just don't want to chase an electrical problem for days and find out I got 125 hours out of a $1,400 computer.

Back