Needed option: 3/8 lp rim sprocket -- small spline:

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B_Turner

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am trying to drum up interest in having Baileys sell a 3/8 lo profile small spline sprocket (like the Stihl P-7 except not on the stihl micro spline).

Many folks, esp carvers, are running 3/8 lp chain with regular 3/8 floating rims due to the faster cutting of endgrain in particular. ALso some CM folks run the 3/8lp for the same reason.

Currently this is a common practice because we have no choice.

Since I've started running 3/8 lp in my own mix, I don't accept this poor choice. I floated the idea of making a 3/8 lp small spline rim to JakMax and they said no problem. How many do I want? they asked.

I am hoping to get Baileys to take on that new rim and sell it alongside their JakMax 1/4 sprocket very commonly used by carvers as well (I dont' want to sell tools, I just want the correct fitting sprocket).

If you are interested in having the option of such a sprocket, pop Baileys an email.

For those not familiar with the issues with running 3/8 lp chain on a standard sprocket search the milling forum. Basically the 3/8 lp rim needs to be bigger in diameter because the lp chain's side plates are shorter.

Here's a pic of a 3/8 regular rim (front) and a stihl P-7 sprocket designed for lo pro (picco). Both 7 pins.

IMG_1900.JPG

I have no agenda other than I want the choice of using the right sprocket.

Danzco is making a run of standard spline LP rims. Spendy, but ...... the alternatives are limited. They could probably make you a run of small spline rims, all it takes is $$$$

I'd never heard of JakMax. Looked at their site and didn't see any out-of-the-ordinary rims ? ? ?

B_turner, the molded sintered metal technology used to manufacture rims has huuuuuuge setup costs, so I don't think you are going to see any special runs of oddball sintered rims unless it is commissioned by a large company that has the buying power to make it happen.

Danzco is making a run of standard spline LP rims. Spendy, but ...... the alternatives are limited. They could probably make you a run of small spline rims, all it takes is $$$$

I'd never heard of JakMax. Looked at their site and didn't see any out-of-the-ordinary rims ? ? ?

B_turner, the molded sintered metal technology used to manufacture rims has huuuuuuge setup costs, so I don't think you are going to see any special runs of oddball sintered rims unless it is commissioned by a large company that has the buying power to make it happen.

I have followed your threads with interest. I am hoping to hear good things about how the Danzco sprockets work out.

I agree about the startup costs, and won't hold my breath. Although JakMax currently makes a 1/4 pitch rim that is very commonly used by carvers (I bet I have bought 10 of those rims myself). And I think with time the market for the 3/8 lp small spline rim is even a bit larger as it is a very common setup for chainsaw carvers.

Gregg said Baileys would look into it with JakMax and naturally what happens will all depend on startup costs.

I am still keeping the Danzco route in mind depending on how it works out. There were two reaons why I was hoping for a traditional sprocket rather than the Danzco style sprocket.

First, the Danzco style sprockets are too thick to fit any of my small splined Huskies with outboard clutches (not sure but I am guessing they would fit on large spline outboard clutch huskies because they have way more room (rims are much thicker to begin with).

And secondly, I am hoping to be in error but intuitively I like the idea of a traditional styled sprocket that contacts the drive link of the chain over a slightly spread out area as opposed to the Danzco style round pin that can only contact the driver over the area that touches the narrow pin.

I know the chain actually climbs out a little as it goes around the sprocket, so it is possible the round pin make work just fine. But I want to wait and see how it works for you first.

It the Danzco works out I may end up seeing if Ed will make me some small splined versions, as they will fit on my Stanley hydraulic chainsaws which is what I am running mostly these days.

Keep us apprised of when you receive the Danzco 3/8 lp standard spline sprockets and how they work out.

Last edited:
not sure if i should mention the seller but i found what is supposed to be a small spline rim drive set up for a small husky.the diam is not listed so you can tell if its actually 375 low profile or not,7 pin.
Like you say lp should be slightly larger diam than 3/8 reg.
I allmost ordered it anyway at 15 bucks plus 5 shipping not bad and i can use the rim on something anyway unless its 1/4.
google... gbpa475sca7n...the replacement rim is gbgba7s7

Last edited:
Ahlborn has several sprockets with 7-pin LP rims for the small 7-spline hub. The spline size is the one with a sloppy fit for a penny. They are not yet offering the rims alone, but in combination with the drums. I haven't yet used any of them enough to see how they hold up.

Back