Needle cage for piston pin

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMB

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was talking on the phone to my Stihl dealer about a new needle cage for the piston pin on my 044. He said he probably has a used one somewhere that he could give me. I asked him if it wouldn't be better to have a new one, he said it was not needed. I have my old one, and to me it looks fine...so I wouldn't need another one, but my question is: should I be getting a new needle cage regardless?

Kevin

I always install a NEW one if I am replacing the piston and wrist pin. It should just be included in the box. Use your old one before you put in a used one you don't know anything about.
9512 003 3061 about $9.75 around here.
If the saw is real old it has a different part number:
9512 003 2340 up through serial number 2 29 583 701
(I think, I didn't read the bulletin...)

I always install a NEW one if I am replacing the piston and wrist pin. It should just be included in the box. Use your old one before you put in a used one you don't know anything about.
9512 003 3061 about $9.75 around here.
If the saw is real old it has a different part number:
9512 003 2340 up through serial number 2 29 583 701
(I think, I didn't read the bulletin...)

Thanks for that. Piston I'm using is an aftermarket one from Bailey's and the needle cage bearing is not included. 9512 003 3061 for the 12mm pin (my saw, serial number 1 25 154 886, which has the 12mm pin...thought it should have the 10mm pin), and 9512 003 2340 for the 10mm pin.

Kevin

Although Im sure someone will say different...if it feels good, looks good and you dont feel play when installed it's probably fine...

Look at your old pin. it's likely "blue", and that color because it got very hot. And your bearing was what made it that way...

So.. if the old pin looked good, the bearing will be too. If not.. throw it before you feel like using it another saw..

Look at your old pin. it's likely "blue", and that color because it got very hot. And your bearing was what made it that way...

So.. if the old pin looked good, the bearing will be too. If not.. throw it before you feel like using it another saw..

Good stuff, thanks. I like good, sound reasoning for a situation. Makes sense to me.

Now, how to not get into an arguement with my dealer who's been a saw mechanic for lots of years and me being the rookie...

Kevin

I know many dealers and techs that don't replace the wristpin bearing.... I'd venture that more often than not it's put back.

I guess it's just the way I am...but for a few bucks I would rather a little peace of mind...I might be the 1 in a million who has a needle cage failure and I'm not made of money.

Kevin

Latest posts

Back