Neem oil soil drench for large trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ardent

Reaction score
I'm exploring the option of using 100%, cold pressed neem oil as a soil drench to treat large trees infested with aphids, when foliar treatments are an impractical option. I've heard that the soil drench, applied in the correct ratio for the tree's DBH, can be effective when applied every 7-10 days over a few month's time. I've been hearing that it is effective, but cannot find the recipe for plants larger than typically grow in vegetable plots. Anyone here have the formula and best practices for application? I'm currently hoping to try this treatment on a 20" DBH Monkey Puzzle Tree.

I'm exploring the option of using 100%, cold pressed neem oil as a soil drench to treat large trees infested with aphids, when foliar treatments are an impractical option. I've heard that the soil drench, applied in the correct ratio for the tree's DBH, can be effective when applied every 7-10 days over a few month's time. I've been hearing that it is effective, but cannot find the recipe for plants larger than typically grow in vegetable plots. Anyone here have the formula and best practices for application? I'm currently hoping to try this treatment on a 20" DBH Monkey Puzzle Tree.
I could not find anything regarding a drench on the label of the Neem product I use. You may want to try and reach out the manufacturer of the product you are using.

I could not find anything regarding a drench on the label of the Neem product I use. You may want to try and reach out the manufacturer of the product you are using.
Thank you for your input! I don't have a specific manufacturer in mind, but reaching out to a few is a great idea I hadn't considered.

I heard about using neem oil as a soil drench from an arboriculture webinar I took, but now can't find the source.

Thank you for your input! I don't have a specific manufacturer in mind, but reaching out to a few is a great idea I hadn't considered.

I heard about using neem oil as a soil drench from an arboriculture webinar I took, but now can't find the source.
The key would be to get the active ingredient (azadirachtin) in enough quantity into the tree. The only product I am familiar with that works in this way is via trunk injection. It is called TreeAzin.

Unless the trees are being defoliated, you might consider letting the aphids go untreated. I've not seen any situations where the predators don't eventually move in and wipe out the aphids. That being said, what have you got against a soil drench with imidacloprid? If done well, you should get systemic protection and not be injurious to any insect predators.

Back