Neighbor cut my tree down

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
300zx_tt

300zx_tt

ArboristSite Operative
My girlfriends father has new neighbors who decided to cut down some trees, about 15. They cut a healthy 25-30 yr old oak down that's at least 5 ft on his property. He asked me what he should do about it and I told him I'd ask on here...

So any advice for him? We live in Pennsylvania, I don't think he wants to start off their relationship with a trip to court but I told him it'll probably end that way lol

ATH

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
How badly will he miss the tree? I would think it is at least worth a discussion with the neighbor "just so you know this is the property line, and you cut down my tree." If he is more upset than that, go to treesaregood.com and look for an arborist who lists tree appraisal as one of their services.

If it is a landscape tree, the board foot volume is meaningless. The landscape value of the tree would be the appraisal he wants. Unless it is in the woods...then yes, he wants the timber value of the tree. Some states allow for civil damages amounting to 3x the appraised value.

JRoland

JRoland

ArboristSite Operative
I agree with ATH , start off by taking with neighbors and pointing out the line, so they can see that it is his tree. Then take it from there, based on their response.

ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy

Tree Freak
All depends. We talking in the city on a 1/16 acre or out in the woods on 100 acres?

We put in a fence on ~300 acres this summer (all wooded) and a neighbor threw a fit because the fence was on his imagined land by 6", to the point of getting a lawyer involved. Yup... 6"!
Land had been surveyed and we put the fence roughly 3-4 feet on the owners size.. enough to be able to to maintenance on the fence and not be tresspassing.

300zx_tt

300zx_tt

ArboristSite Operative
All depends. We talking in the city on a 1/16 acre or out in the woods on 100 acres?

We put in a fence on ~300 acres this summer (all wooded) and a neighbor threw a fit because the fence was on his imagined land by 6", to the point of getting a lawyer involved. Yup... 6"!
Land had been surveyed and we put the fence roughly 3-4 feet on the owners size.. enough to be able to to maintenance on the fence and not be tresspassing.

You could call it the city I guess, no where near a 300 acre lot. His lot is 1.4 acres. Were about 45 minutes outside of Philadelphia.

ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy

Tree Freak
If I was in that boat, if it was a tree of value and he has a proper survey I'd go talk to the neighbor and expect him to cough up $$. Firewood value, lumber value, landscape value.

What is the neighbor doing with the wood?

Either way, unless the property lines are weird, I'd find it hard to believe the neighbor did it by mistake. I'd image he has a copy of the survey from when the place was bought and knows the lines, and certainly would make damn sure before sawing trees down near the line!

Based on how the neighbor reacts would be how it'd go from there, either settled like normal people or involve a lawyer (as much as I hate those sleezebags).

I know of a guy that cut down about 30 trees on a fence row that was between a subdivision and a farm field. The trees were on the farmer's land and left there as a windblock. When they cleared the land they dozed all the stumps into berms so it was subdivision, row of trees, 10-15ft, berm, then field.

The guy told the farmer to "f off" when he stopped him in the act!

He ended up paying over $10,000 to the farmer for that firewood and had to replant trees.

Del_

3% Neanderthal...... 2% Denisovan
. AS Supporting Member.
It depends on the placement of the tree and how important it is to the owner. It may be in an out of the way place where it doesn't matter much. If so, ask for the firewood if you need it. It may not be in the tree owners best interest to make a big fuss about it with the new neighbor if the tree really was not that important to him. Sure it pisses one off but don't let it get the better of you. If the tree is of real value then get a consulting arborist out there and get a lawyer and collect. You may be due triple damages. You will never be friends with this neighbor after this. If the neighbor seems honestly sorry about his act it may be best to forgive and forget as this guy may be your neighbor for a very long time and maybe even a good friend. Good neighbors can be a real asset and are worth overlooking a trespass or two. Looking out for each other and your properties creates a secure neighborhood. He may even be a good shot if you're lucky!

300zx_tt

300zx_tt

ArboristSite Operative
My girlfriends father was more pissed he didn't ask/ care about the property lines and the fact that they took the wood before he noticed. So they cut down a nice healthy oak that provided some cover (from the other neighbors).

The house the neighbor bought was in pretty bad shape, I think the guy that bought it is a contractor and he is going to flip it. They already gutted the first floor and tore the roof off and replaced it.

They only come around on the weekend so I'll let you guys know what happens on Sunday

As for the tree I think it was a white oak, not sure though.

woodenboater

woodenboater

ArboristSite Operative
definitely get a current property survey done, if only to prevent further problems down the road. but yeah, as others have suggested, will also depend on whether they are willing to write this neighbour off. which could create longer term issues since they obviously didn't care or were considerate enough to ask their neighbours before taking down a tree which may not be theirs to drop.

Del_

3% Neanderthal...... 2% Denisovan
. AS Supporting Member.
The house the neighbor bought was in pretty bad shape, I think the guy that bought it is a contractor and he is going to flip it. They already gutted the first floor and tore the roof off and replaced it.

A contractor house flipping changes my view considerably.

It's worth going after him, IMO.

Do you have photos of this tree?

A white oak is a highly desirable tree.

ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy

Tree Freak
definitely get a current property survey done, if only to prevent further problems down the road. but yeah, as others have suggested, will also depend on whether they are willing to write this neighbour off. which could create longer term issues since they obviously didn't care or were considerate enough to ask their neighbours before taking down a tree which may not be theirs to drop.

I'd imagine they would have a site survey tied to the deed? Around here you generally can't get a mortgage without a survey.

Latest posts