Neighbor cut my tree down

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why did they cut it so tall? I'd fire myself if I cut trees like that!

They actually cut it again towards the bottom, they just left the round there. The guy was pretty nice about it. They came to some sort of barter agreement. Not sure what it is yet.

I'd imagine they would have a site survey tied to the deed? Around here you generally can't get a mortgage without a survey.

Where I'm at, an actual survey is not necessary to sell or purchase property. Lots of disputes over property lines because buyer takes the word of the realtor.

I surveyed hundreds of property disputes of all kinds and I've seen lot's of peeps pay way more money for things like fence/wall/road/ditch encroachments/grading/property damage/tree felling etc. on their adjoiners properties than a survey, accurately marking the true property lines would have cost.

"good fences make good neighbors" is a popular saying. We all don't want a fence but marking the property corners and a few points-on-line will define who owns what, and avoid accidental encroachment.

Knew of a person that decided to cut the trees on his property for a view. Cut all of his and then realized the neighbors trees were blocking his view too so he had them cut too. The neighbor, a clerk magistrate that was trying to sell the house (a vacation home), called a tree service to come assess the damage and give an estimate for replacement of the now cut, 15 pines that were approximately 30' tall/12"DBH each. The guy presented two offers to the neighbor that cut the trees, pay the $150,000 replacement cost or buy the house for $550,000.
The guy bought the house.

It depends on the placement of the tree and how important it is to the owner. It may be in an out of the way place where it doesn't matter much. If so, ask for the firewood if you need it. It may not be in the tree owners best interest to make a big fuss about it with the new neighbor if the tree really was not that important to him. Sure it pisses one off but don't let it get the better of you. If the tree is of real value then get a consulting arborist out there and get a lawyer and collect. You may be due triple damages. You will never be friends with this neighbor after this. If the neighbor seems honestly sorry about his act it may be best to forgive and forget as this guy may be your neighbor for a very long time and maybe even a good friend. Good neighbors can be a real asset and are worth overlooking a trespass or two. Looking out for each other and your properties creates a secure neighborhood. He may even be a good shot if you're lucky!
Very wise & practical wisdom right there. :clap:

I was referring to what the actual agreement was.

Well the new owner of the house is a contractor but he is keeping the house... Or so he says.

He actually agreed to renovate the master bathroom in my future FIL's. Gutted it down to studs... Very nice guy, we BS'ed for a while, and it turned out pretty good for my FIL. I'd estimate what he did for them in the 12-14k dollar range if I were to bid something similar.

Latest posts

Back