Neighbors Dolmar 112 running again:) but not well:(

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billmartin

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just got it fired up after it had been sitting 5-10 years? Rebuilt the carb i,e gasket set with diaphram and carb clean spray thru all the ports and such.
New fuel line and filter in the tank.

Problem: Of course there is, otherwise i wouldn't be here begging for :newbie: help:confused:

So it was not to hard to start on choke. 5-10 pulls. wouldn't stay running.

Kept at it. Outside this time lol! Got it to run and finally got it to get past the low speed side and it sounded good. But it seemed to be starving for fuel maybe? think blaah blahh then start to pickup with throttle modulation.

The only thing I noticed was that the tank vent hose? Was bubbling inside and emitting a high pitched squeek/squeal type noise.

So if its the vent what do I to clean it?

Seems to me i have had a few other 2-strokes like weedeaters and such with the same type problem. Guessing its an easy fix that I'm missing.

Thanks, Bill

Just got it fired up after it had been sitting 5-10 years? Rebuilt the carb i,e gasket set with diaphram and carb clean spray thru all the ports and such.
New fuel line and filter in the tank.

Problem: Of course there is, otherwise i wouldn't be here begging for :newbie: help:confused:

So it was not to hard to start on choke. 5-10 pulls. wouldn't stay running.

Kept at it. Outside this time lol! Got it to run and finally got it to get past the low speed side and it sounded good. But it seemed to be starving for fuel maybe? think blaah blahh then start to pickup with throttle modulation.

The only thing I noticed was that the tank vent hose? Was bubbling inside and emitting a high pitched squeek/squeal type noise.

So if its the vent what do I to clean it?

Seems to me i have had a few other 2-strokes like weedeaters and such with the same type problem. Guessing its an easy fix that I'm missing.

Thanks, Bill

When you did the carb kit, did you make sure the float needle toggle under the diaphragm was level with the inside of the carb body? Have you adjusted the jets by screwing them up tight and then backing them off 1 turn (standard setting for most chainsaw carbs).

The tank vents sometimes give trouble on saws, but it's normally a problem only after several minutes of running, during which time the tank builds up vacuum until the carb can't suck any gas through. They often have a screw in thing, or a plastic ball, or a piece of felt. If in doubt, remove whatever thing is on or in the breather and stuff a piece of felt in the end of it, though by the sound of it, the breather is not the problem.

Good luck! The 112 is a great little saw.

When you did the carb kit, did you make sure the float needle toggle under the diaphragm was level with the inside of the carb body? Have you adjusted the jets by screwing them up tight and then backing them off 1 turn (standard setting for most chainsaw carbs).

The tank vents sometimes give trouble on saws, but it's normally a problem only after several minutes of running, during which time the tank builds up vacuum until the carb can't suck any gas through. They often have a screw in thing, or a plastic ball, or a piece of felt. If in doubt, remove whatever thing is on or in the breather and stuff a piece of felt in the end of it, though by the sound of it, the breather is not the problem.

No I did not check to see if the float needle dealie was level. i will check that for sure.

After the saw ran for a while. Like 2-3 min it then didn't want to start again. I think i flooded it. mainly cause i started to get a little frustrated with it.

I checked and the h and l were at one turn each with the s at three and a half. It may need a compression test?

Looked really good in the bore on intake and exh. but it could be worn ring too.

Felt real strong cold and fairly good warm so I'm not sure thats it.

This is really buggin me because I have never known what causes this problem in 2-strokes and it seems so common on older engines

One turn open on the Low is a little lean,take it to at least 1 1/2 to 2 turns open and see how it goes.It should idle there,then adjust as needed.

One turn open on the Low is a little lean,take it to at least 1 1/2 to 2 turns open and see how it goes.It should idle there,then adjust as needed.

i did that after i checked the settings of the adjustment screws:(

I'm no genius or even a dummy when it comes to the 2 strokers. My dirt bike and my husky have perfect or really close carbs but they get RUN by me.

I guess the answer I'm looking for is: If after a short, lets say initial start up, the saw has less symptoms than barely warm idle or run off idle to high rpm's

Basicly it runs worse at low speeds progessivly untill it won't start

Then I get it running and off idle, I have to feather the throttle to get it to the top end/ high rpm's. Rips WOT and near there, BUT let off to much and your fighting to get it back there.

I guess???? That I need to comp. test this saw... When it's as warm as I can get it?

To reitterate, the saw is an old dolmar 112 that had dust in it from dull chain i would guess.

The cyl has not a mark that i could see. But the ring could be worn off.

What should the min. compression be for this saw??

Thanks, Bill

I fix, run and own some of the older Sachs Dolmars, they have been great saws for me. The 112 is a good saw but the points and condenser setup along with the coil are one of the drawbacks to this model. One of the most common problems I have seen with them is the small black wire from the coil to the points, it will break inside the insulation jacket and cause intermitten spark that will cause the saw not to want to start or run when warm and an erratic idle. To check for this condition the coil wire has to be lightly pulled or streatched and then you will feel the insulation jacket streatch and also see where it constricts at the break point. The other issue I have with them is the needle and seat in the carb will wear out and nothing can be done to remedy this, if the carb has a plastic module body with metal covers on either side then it most likely cannot be repaired, just replace the carb, its not worth the bother messing with them.
Pioneerguy600

Thanks for the tip about the needle and seat. It does have the plastic sandwich setup. Thats where I'm guessing my problem is but I'm going to check that coil wire also.

The routing of it caught my eye while I was working on it and I thought hmm that looks like it could stress and break at that point.

I actually checked spark before attempting to start the saw due to the way the wire was routed. It had good strong spark before I tried to run it.

Time to go figure it out and search for a new carb me thinks.

Thanks again for your help guys. I really would love to see this thing running right cause it sounds pretty rippy when she gets to the top end.

No need for a muff mod on this thing it's wide open from the factory:)

Went out a few min ago and tried the two turns on the low side and it really liked that!!! I think having fresh gas in it overnight may have helped a bit too.

got it as tuned in as i can. it even idles right. now to sharp up the chain.

tried to cut with it and made dust. I better sharpen it before i give it back cause he said he new how and i don't think he does...

Thanks again to the guys that helped me along on this one:yourock:

So I cut my first ever cookies with the 112 and it did ok. I shure would be fine with cutting some firewood with it all day long.

Had pretty good power, the chain was resharpened by me after the first cut made dust.(i'm barely good at sharpening but getting better)

Made good chips and I think it's a little rich which is good.
'cause who knows what (good) mix is to him.

Maybe this gary guy could chime in...? Jkn:)

Hello CAD I hear you knocking:chainsaw:

So I cut my first ever cookies with the 112 and it did ok. I shure would be fine with cutting some firewood with it all day long.

Had pretty good power, the chain was resharpened by me after the first cut made dust.(i'm barely good at sharpening but getting better)

Made good chips and I think it's a little rich which is good.
'cause who knows what (good) mix is to him.

Maybe this gary guy could chime in...? Jkn:)

Hello CAD I hear you knocking:chainsaw:

Now that you have one running Sachs Dolmar don`t be surprised if more of them find their way into your collection, my collection has grown ever year.
Pioneerguy600

Latest posts

Back