Neighbors that borrow stuff.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will not lend stuff out to anyone. If you guys could only imagine how many pieces of equipment come into the shop and the conversation begins with "somebody borrowed this".............

I've found that's also a convenient excuse when someone breaks something through their own stupidity and are too embarrassed to admit it. Much easier to blame the neighbor kid or brother in law or something.

I've found that's also a convenient excuse when someone breaks something through their own stupidity and are too embarrassed to admit it. Much easier to blame the neighbor kid or brother in law or something.

Same thing in the gunshop. Dudes walk in with basket cases "wife/son/BIL/dog" took it apart and now it doesn't work. Invariable something broken, plus missing pieces.

My friends and neighbors know me as a the chainsaw guy because of some of my carvings and my (mild by this site's standards) saw collection. I do have one "loaner" saw that gets lent to a very select set of individuals. They are either two-way street types are very close family.
One former borrower asked in a text if he could borrow my saw again after not seeing me for months. No "hi" or pleasantries first just "u got a saw I can borrow?". We're friends going back to childhood but I still thought it was a little rude. I finally texted back that I do and he can borrow it but it wouldn't be ready until the next evening. He asked if I could just leave it on my front porch so HIS DAD could get for him in the morning. I texted him i couldnt get to it tonight. Its a saw i never use( a Mighty Craftsmen!) so it usually needs sharpened, gassed up, ran through from the last loaners abuse. I was working a 14 hour day(he knew this) and I wouldn't be able to have it ready for him til the next eve. He has the nerve to text back, "Don't u know how to READ? I said tomorrow morning I need it!" If fists could be sent through text message he'd have been in trouble. Needless to say, he's off the list. Funny but I still helped him move a month later. But it moved him out of my life (and I drank all his expensive beer when we finished too).

Life is too short for moochers. Amen.

Latest posts

Back