Never had an insurance claim.... Until today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are her kid's names?

Lots of advice on how to dodge the claim, but I'm going to go out on a limb here. Did you ever get to know your customer? Just from your posts, it sounds like a widow or divorcee that is in a little over her head and has been taken advantage of in the past. She said she has allowed other contractors to fix their own damage before and it has turned out poorly, according to your earlier post. Just a suggestion, but calm down and work on defusing the situation, offer to fix it on your dime, and then if she isn't happy go from there. And btw, I'f you don't know at least how many kid's she has at this point, you're in trouble.

That's a really good point Jolly.

I'm used to very reasonable relations with customers so didn't consider that, the couple of mine who have ended up like this one were always real hard work from the get go and no amount of reasonableness on my part had any effect whatsoever.

Most people are basically decent, others, well, we've all met them.

I agree with Mr. Logger to some extent on this........ But then my mind went back to a couple of weeks ago. There was a lady sitting on her porch, with her van parked on the street, directly under a pretty good sized Maple hanger (city tree). I rolled down the window and mentioned that she might want to move her car, and she just smiled. That old bird was certain that limb was going to fall, and when it does, she was gonna get a check.

I'm 43 and have avoided spots like this. Part of it is luck. Part of it is building a relationship with the people I run into, even if it's just a bid or whatever, and part is just being able to "read" someone in a flash (like the lady on the porch).

Old people can be rough. Sometimes they have 5mil. in capitol that brings them 250k a year, and they tell everyone they are on a "fixed income". Sometimes they put huge value into things that aren't worth anything to anyone else. Some are horrible people who just managed to live a long time, and figure they have an "angle".

Get a handle on what they care about, what's important to them, and price accordingly.

Old people can be rough. Sometimes they have 5mil. in capitol that brings them 250k a year, and they tell everyone they are on a "fixed income".

Ha! Got a new customer this week that stated that exact thing. House is very nice and landscaped to the max. Was complaining about her existing services, I didn't see a thing wrong and actually know the owner of one of the co's personally and let him know-he hasn't heard a word that she's unhappy. So I expect we'll work for her maybe a year or 2 before she goes to the next company for no reason.

Sorry I haven't posted any updates fellas. I have just been waiting with baited breath on the adjuster. I'll send the news when I get it.

So, got a letter in the mail today saying that my insurance company settled the claim for one rotted section of fence to the tune of just under $1,000.

This disgusts me. Of this, of course I have to pay my deductible and I will be paying the insurance company back for the claim over the next 3 or four years.

Now the woman hasn't even paid me for the work yet. She said she was waiting to hear from my insurance.

Ugh. These kind of shenanigans are what keep the rates up for everybody.

Not that much. It's pretty standard to pay back the amount over three to five years plus the premium.
It's just the fact an old woman hustled the system.

And I had no contact with the adjuster. They would not put me in touch with him.

The woman paid me for the work. I called the insurance company to get a run down of how one section cost $1000.

They emailed me the appraisal and the fence only cost $50!!! She apparently had a contractor sign off on it taking 8 man hours to install one section.

Latest posts

Back