New 084

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hautions11

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
OK you sick Ba$$$$tard$$$$. Now you went and made me do it. New to me 084 getting boxed up and sent as we speak. It looks like a minor project, but it is pretty clean and the guy is the original owner. Unlike a lot of Ebayers, he sent me a phone number and we talked about the history of the saw at length. I am always a little apprehensive about a saw at this point, but I can't wait to get it home and give it a good once over. I can hear that last 32" oak log shaking in it's boots already, in fear of the 084 on my Alaskan set-up. I'll send pics when I get it.:blob2:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...10019328691&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

Last edited:
$375- ya done good there! :blob2: Hows yer 064 treat you? I like mine, but I think I need a coil or a coil wire (mines spliced), wants to die at idle when its hot- gotta do search over in chainsaws.
Russell

Last edited:

The 064 is doing great, but I could tell when milling 20" oak that I was abusing it. I actually found some score marks on the piston after my last milling day. That is what prompted me to go for the 084. Nobody ever brings me small trees, especially oaks. I do have an 064 parts saw with a coil and flywheel on it, but I was saving that for a back-up. The coil wire on my 064 is nicked, but it still runs fine. If you really have trouble finding one, I may part with it.

The price seems good on the 084, but a real close inspection will tell the tale. I tend to go with my gut feel of the owner, and the seller was very straightforward on the phone. I hate the auctions where the seller says" I don't know anything about this saw". This guy owned it from new. Put a new piston, rings, wrist pin and bearing in it etc... We will see, but I am excited to get it.:rock:

When I saw this listed today I really debated and was dead set on talking to the seller. I had a feeling it would not last. Like I said earlier, I'll let everyone know how it works out, but that is half the fun of Ebay!

No- YOU sick ba$tard!

I've been looking for a deal like that to come up for a month. Darn it. Too slow.

IMO 084's are simple to work on. I've had mine half way apart a couple of times. Good luck.

Aggie,

You'll have to give us an update on the "Leaned on" 084 from Dean. It sounds awesome already!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have an extra cylinder and piston for my 064 and I am debating sending it to dean for some port work and extra grunt to compete with the 066's.

L

hautions11 said:
The price seems good on the 084, but a real close inspection will tell the tale. I tend to go with my gut feel of the owner, and the seller was very straightforward on the phone. I hate the auctions where the seller says" I don't know anything about this saw". This guy owned it from new. Put a new piston, rings, wrist pin and bearing in it etc... We will see, but I am excited to get it.:rock:

Check and see if he put in a Stihl or aftermarket piston on the 084. I wouldn't mill with an aftermarket... Look for a thin metal ring cast into the piston just above the top ring. This to protect the top ring from combustion gases and to spread the heat evenly across the piston and out to the rings. The 090's didn't have this and burn holes in the piston tops! The 066's run real close to the edge...

Set you mixture real rich (less then 11k wot), and run 32:1, synthetic if you can...

Andy,

I did ask about the piston replacement and the parts were all OEM. Thsnks for the running info. I assume that applies OEM piston as well.

It wasn't a problem until a few months ago when the AM pistons started to appear... now we all have to be careful, or make the choice.

It's Here!!!!!!!!!!!

The 084 arrived today. I unpacked it and it looks great! I like to see scuffs and nicks, but everything looks very original. Screws are all there, the trigger choke mechanism is very tight, and it generally looks like an older low hours saw. I threw some gas in it and it fired right up. Idles nicely and sounds real healthy. The sound was different and I then noticed what I believe to be a dual port muffler. Aggie or one of you guys that knows something about 084's, please comment on the second picture, which is a close-up of the exhaust area. Nothing to cut in the yard at the moment, so I will have to head for the woods Sat. AM. I can't wait to try it.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e165/Hautions11/New084.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e165/Hautions11/DualPort.jpg

OK, I couldn't stand it! I walked out through the woods and found a nice downed 20" ash tree. This thing is a brute! It came with a factory 25" 404 bar and newly sharpened chain. I can't wait to try some big wood!

Last edited:
Man what I wouldnt give for a 20 inch ash log. I have turned some ball bats out of ash and that stuff is HARD but shouldnt be much of a match for the 084. Good luck with the new saw.

dustytools said:
Man what I wouldnt give for a 20 inch ash log. I have turned some ball bats out of ash and that stuff is HARD but shouldnt be much of a match for the 084. Good luck with the new saw.
Dusty if you were closer I'd give you enough ash for as many baseball bats as you can turn. As we speak, I have a 10 foot long 18x12 ash cant in my driveway waiting to be sliced up when I am feeling better. It came from a huge tree, and this section is is knot free (I think, looks to be), so would be good for bats. I use it, but the majority of customers want oak, and they see ash as a lesser wood. If you have a truck and lots of gas money, I'd let you have it for nothing, just let me know before I cut it up into boards.

hautions11 said:
The 084 arrived today. I unpacked it and it looks great! I like to see scuffs and nicks, but everything looks very original. Screws are all there, the trigger choke mechanism is very tight, and it generally looks like an older low hours saw. I threw some gas in it and it fired right up. Idles nicely and sounds real healthy. The sound was different and I then noticed what I believe to be a dual port muffler. Aggie or one of you guys that knows something about 084's, please comment on the second picture, which is a close-up of the exhaust area. Nothing to cut in the yard at the moment, so I will have to head for the woods Sat. AM. I can't wait to try it.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e165/Hautions11/New084.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e165/Hautions11/DualPort.jpg

OK, I couldn't stand it! I walked out through the woods and found a nice downed 20" ash tree. This thing is a brute! It came with a factory 25" 404 bar and newly sharpened chain. I can't wait to try some big wood!

Nice saw. Cosmetically it looks alot like mine when I got it.

Mine came with a different muffler and looking at the service and parts manuals I can't tell if your's is 100% factory or not. A picture of the muffler with the cover off would help. I've wondered myself what the difference between the two styles were. I'm sure someone here can enlighten us.

Here's what I did to mine.

084wstumpbar.jpg

I understand the hard tip bar for stumps....I use the old Macs w/18"-20" hardnose bars for a similar purpose, but what's the theory behind the extra shorty bar?

coveredinsap said:
I understand the hard tip bar for stumps....I use the old Macs w/18"-20" hardnose bars for a similar purpose, but what's the theory behind the extra shorty bar?

No theory- It only cost 5 bucks (clearance) and chain costs about 8. If I smoke it, so what. I hadn't used it for that purpose yet as you probably can see. Right now it's getting plenty of use in the bench vise for sharpening chains.

Last edited:
Muffler

Aggie, prior to your muffler mod, what did it look like? I am still debating on bars. On your 42" stihl, can I install a new tip and run a 3/8 063 chain on it? That may be my best option.

Back