New 084

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I appreciate the offer woodshop, but Pa. is a little too far from Carlisle, Ky. id have major bucks in those bats. As far as ash being a lesser wood I would have to disagree to a certain extent as I have seen some beautiful interior hand rails made of ash. I had some pics once upon a time but i guess they have been deleted. The railings are on a spiral staircase, they were bent and laminated, and actually favored oak a whole lot.

Ash

Dusty,

I sent you a PM, but I have a 30" ash to cut down this fall. What size blanks are you looking for. I could cut a couple and throw them in UPS for next to nothing. Let me know.

dustytools said:
As far as ash being a lesser wood I would have to disagree to a certain extent as I have seen some beautiful interior hand rails made of ash....... they were bent and laminated, and actually favored oak a whole lot.
No argument here on the beauty of ash. The fact that some people see it as a lesser wood than oak simply shows that many don't know much about wood. And thats OK, just the nature of the beast when you're a woodworker selling to the general public. I love working it in my shop. It's rock hard but works well with tooling. It has a creamy light color, yet still has plenty of interesting grain patterns just like oak, only without the large pores. Many people at my shows can't tell the differece between something I made in ash or oak. I'ts just perception, like a lot of things.

I replied to your message hautions. If you dont mind me asking, what part of Indiana are you in? I have family in southern Indiana and I go up fron time to time.

hautions11 said:
Aggie, prior to your muffler mod, what did it look like? I am still debating on bars. On your 42" stihl, can I install a new tip and run a 3/8 063 chain on it? That may be my best option.

I called stihl and they saw they don't make a 3/8" pitch tip for that bar. Due to liability they only want you running .404 on their bars over 36".

dustytools said:
I appreciate the offer woodshop, but Pa. is a little too far from Carlisle, Ky. id have major bucks in those bats. As far as ash being a lesser wood I would have to disagree to a certain extent as I have seen some beautiful interior hand rails made of ash. I had some pics once upon a time but i guess they have been deleted. The railings are on a spiral staircase, they were bent and laminated, and actually favored oak a whole lot.

There are a lot of applications where ash is superior to oak IMO. Bent laminations are one of them. 1/4" strips of ash can be bent into amazingly tight radiuses with out breaking.

hautions11 said:
Aggie, prior to your muffler mod, what did it look like? I am still debating on bars. On your 42" stihl, can I install a new tip and run a 3/8 063 chain on it? That may be my best option.

I can't find any good "before" pictures on this computer. I'll look on my other one tonight.

42 "

Aggie,

Make me an offer I can't refuse! How about your 42 with some cool specialty ground 404 ripping chain. Shoot me an offer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks.

L

aggiewoodbutchr said:
Nice saw. Cosmetically it looks alot like mine when I got it.

Mine came with a different muffler and looking at the service and parts manuals I can't tell if your's is 100% factory or not. A picture of the muffler with the cover off would help. I've wondered myself what the difference between the two styles were. I'm sure someone here can enlighten us.

Here's what I did to mine.

084wstumpbar.jpg
Aggie,
I sure do like that muffler!!!!!
Mark

hautions11 said:
Aggie,

Make me an offer I can't refuse! How about your 42 with some cool specialty ground 404 ripping chain. Shoot me an offer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks.

L

Hmmm... let me think on it and I'll shoot you a PM. I have a few loops of .404 for it but I'll have to look to see what I have exactly.

Yes, thanks casey. Can't wait to try out the 084. Tell the truth here,did that little demo of the ms200 I did influence your decision???? Good choice bud.
Mark

Well...to be honest......

I almost got that 338. Brian had it on sale for $419. Im sure I could have talked him down at least another $20......

But when its all said and done, keeping all the saws the same made more sense to me. Im going to bury it in some wood tomorrow. I also get to switch over to the Stihl full syn. oil.

I tell you this though...That thing does scream!!!!

pole you need a spark plug wire? PM me your address and watch your mailbox.. :)

poleframer said:
$375- ya done good there! :blob2: Hows yer 064 treat you? I like mine, but I think I need a coil or a coil wire (mines spliced), wants to die at idle when its hot- gotta do search over in chainsaws.
Russell

Latest posts

Back