New 372XP X-Torq, new to forum questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Reaction score
Hi Everyone-

I'm completely new here.

My brother did treework for a number of years and about 5 years ago he gave me his first saw -- a 262XP that's now about 20 years old. Has 20" bar 3/8 pitch 0.058 guage full comp w/ 7 pin rim sprocket -- Oregon chisel chain (just teeth -- no kickback prevention features on the chain).

For 3 years I've been living in a fully wooded lot w/ some really large pines (for New England anyway) and the saw's been great, but it's getting tired, pretty sure tank is cracked leaking lots of gas etc. The saw should be gone through.

Was going to replace it w/ 357XP to get 1 lb lighter w/ about same power, but decided the 372XP is only slightly heavier and has even more power. Finally pulled the trigger and got:

372XP X-Torq manufactured 2011 on serial plate, brand new from Chapel Tractor in New Hampshire.
24" Husqvarna bar w/ 3/8" pitch 0.058 gauge full comp chain w/ 7 pin rim sprocket. Husky brand chain (pretty sure rebranded Oregon chisel w/ just teeth and no kickback features on the chain).

Haven't used it for real yet -- just tested it on some pine laying around. You can really feel it firing when idling (throaty) and it's definitely got some nice power to it. Tacks up nice and high like the smaller XP saws (neighbor has 346XP he just got and that thing really tacks up there too). Might get a 20" bar for firewood curious to see if I'd get more cutting speed -- the 24" is for some of the large diameter pines we've got around here -- got some big stuff to cut and split to fire a Sugarshack for maple syrup next winter -- pine burns hot!

Here's some questions for you -- I'm a homeowner type user, but enjoy using pro saws for reliability and performance and probably more experience than a typical homeowner.

Questions:

1. This saw has 3 position oil volume delivery settings. It's in the center position which is what it was set to for the stock 20" bar the saw usually is marketed with. Do you think the 24" bar would call for moving the oil pump volume to the 3rd position to get the most oil? I'd like to avoid having the oil run out before fuel (this is X-torq so it sips fuel compared to non X-torq) but I'm willing to have oil run out first if it means properly lubed bar and just be careful to check when at 1/2 tank gas.

2. Do you think I would notice much difference with 20" bar versus the 24" I have? Unfortunately the 20" for the 262 I don't think is compatible with 372 even though same pitch and gauge so I can't just swap. Keeping 262 as backup saw when doing firewood etc.

3. Are some of the more professional bars like I think GB ones from Australia going to show any difference to the Husky brand bars (I think made by Oregon) or Oregon brand ones like the Powermatch bars? Not trying to start brand wars or anything -- I'm familiar so far with Husky, Oregon and GB but really have all experience with Husky brand bars. Will probably get an Oregon powermatch plus 20" if I decide to outfit the 372XP with a 20" bar.

Thanks for listening. Pictures below (or hopefully attached -- not used to this forum software).

--
Eric
Lancaster, MA

240645d1338941828-372xp_1-jpg

240646d1338941829-372xp_2-jpg

Last edited:
The 262 is a small mount

The husky bars for the 372 are pretty much the same as Oregan Power Match around here

When felling and bucking I don't like having a bar longer than necessary

The oiler position depends on the wood you are cutting and your judgement as to how low the oil tank is when the fuel tank is low.

The oiling may change with a different brand bar?

Your oiler should have 4 rotations from low to high. 2 turns from the lowest position is where I run my 365xt when I have a 20 on it and 3 turns when I have a 24 on it. This has worked well for me. You picked a good saw.

Malk315,

For the oiler, the manual says 3 turns out from the closed position for 20"-24" bars. They say that is only for Husqvarna brand oil though.

I just got a new 372 myself. Only had it for a week. Haven't cut with it at all. I can't wait. Got alot of work for it.

I agree that its idle is quite throaty. I was surprised myself. Sounds good.

You're air filter cover looks really tall. Did you get a different filter for it? Or is that the way it came? My serial tag also says manufactured in 2011 and my filter cover is not as tall as the one on your saw. I know they offer different setups so that is why I ask. Maybe someone else knows what the deal is.

Welcome to the forum.

Oiler: Leave it be.
Bar, change it to the 20 when you are just farting around. The 24 will drag it down a bit.
Bar make is of no consequence.
Great saw!

This is the standard air filter cover for the USA on the 372's

J love my 372. When i bought mine i went to the dealer to buy a chain for my 272xp and ended up buying a 372xp, so when i got home i take it out of the truck and put it in my chipper truck and my wife says "i thought you only needed a chain?" so i said "well honey they don't sell just the chain anymore on my 272 so i has to buy the powerhead and everything" i think she knew i was BSing her but she just rolled her eyes and went back inside.:rock:

Wow -- this an active forum. Thanks for all of the quick replies.

Yes -- that is the stock air filter cover that came with the saw -- they are pretty tall compared to the smaller saws here in the US. My 262XP has a more flush air filter. I'll take a picture of that saw next daylight.

Checked the manual and went out to the garage to see what's up with the oiler screw. I'm glad I asked about the oiler because I misunderstood the dealer. I found the same info in the manual that says 3 turns out from closed for 20-24" bar (manual I have is 05-20-2010 edition for 365XP / 372XP or XPG). I turned the screw in and it was about 3 turns out (there's a detent to keep the screw from moving once set that doesn't quite line up when closed all the way). So I turned it out about 1/8th turn from closed to get it on the detent and then did 3 full turns of the screw from there to set it for 20-24" bar. I misunderstood the dealer thinking one "notch" of detent is the adjustment with 3 positions -- he must have meant three turns out w/ the detent to retain the screw. I'll check oil consumption carefully on the first real use of the saw. I should be good now! (probably was good anyway but I messed with it so it's on 3 turns for sure now).

Oldtimer -- I like your advice on the bar 20" farting around, 24" for felling these bigger pines we have -- pretty big at the base. Due to curiosity I'll pick up a 20" bar to try it one this saw at least when doing firewood.

When I go to get more chain for the 262 I'll try that story for the wife -- "Honey they don't make chains for these 20 year old powerheads anymore so I had to get this new 357XP powerhead to go with some new chain" :D Eyes will no doubt roll...

Thanks again for all of the spirited replies. I'm a weekend warrior so I won't be able to report how she does but on the edge of my seat at the desk job hoping for some good weather so I can go and play.... err get some work done turning that dead oak to firewood.

--
Eric
Lancaster, MA

My 576 came with H48 chain which is semi-chisel. Hated it after using H42 on my 288xp for years. Didn't know the difference as we always ordered a roll from the local dealer

Great choice of saw!

I was in your neck o the woods with my 372xp on Sunday afternoon. A friend of mine (lives over by the cell tower that looks like a tree) has some already horizontal 22-28" shagbark hickory to play with as well as a bunch of good sized standing oak he wants down. Brought 4 ~70cc saws (P70 partner, 372xp, 044 and a ported 038 mag) and had a bit of a 'shootout' as well as getting some work done. I wonder if you heard the racket, the two of us were at it on and off almost until dusk.

I'm running 20" bars on 'em, like it for most of what I do (particularly with all the thick, tangle-y rhododendron you have to maneuver around in out there) but I also need to get a 24 and/or 28". Can't decide which saw to get it for though, probably whatever one a deal comes along first for...

Bill

Hey Bill-

I'm quite close to there! That's the tower near the used car parts / trailer dealer on 117 right?
I'm in the new neighborhood Devonshire woods -- a cul-de-sac cut into heavy forest -- it has white post+rail fence along the entrance.
Years ago this area was a peach orchard. The street is across from Select Horticulture the guys who sell good sized trees w/ monster rootballs for large scale landscaping installs.

Do you know Ken Rapoza over on Brockleman road? He's got the sugarshack on his property and last fall we took down at least 10 dead pines (a lot died from ice storm 3 years ago) from my lot, split them long 24" and hauled 7 cords over to the sugarshack and we produced about 80 gallons of maple syrup from over 100 trees we tap right here in Lancaster (thousands of gallons of sap!). It's a project the Cub scouts do from town and we sell it to help fund scout activities. Here's an action shot zinging through one of the trees left to right we have one neighbor w/ his brand new 455 rancher, me on the 262XP, and my other neighbor w/ new 346XP.

attachment.php

The town took down another 10 pines or so over at the Thayer st. little league field and left the wood there in sections. We got permission to take that wood for next year. There's some pretty large diameter stuff and we'll go over there to cut and split that and gradually bring it to the sugar shack for boiling next year. It's all pine again that noone wants but is great for boiling sap. This weekend is busy w/ my kids' stuff but next weekend I'll probably go get started on that stuff!

Here's a link to the photo coverage from an article they had in the local paper about the maple syrup: Syrup Season in Lancaster

I also managed to get some good burning wood when a friend from across town near Clinton had an ash and cherry tree both taken out by the halloween 4 day power outage storm. Took 262XP, 30 ton capacity splitter, and trailer over there and cut split, trailered, and stacked a cord plus and burned all of the ash this past winter. With all of the woods and storms we have, it's pretty easy to come across stuff to cut and use for whatever around here! Sounds like that's what you've been up to!

See ya.

Great choice of saw!

I was in your neck o the woods with my 372xp on Sunday afternoon. A friend of mine (lives over by the cell tower that looks like a tree) has some already horizontal 22-28" shagbark hickory to play with as well as a bunch of good sized standing oak he wants down. Brought 4 ~70cc saws (P70 partner, 372xp, 044 and a ported 038 mag) and had a bit of a 'shootout' as well as getting some work done. I wonder if you heard the racket, the two of us were at it on and off almost until dusk.

I'm running 20" bars on 'em, like it for most of what I do (particularly with all the thick, tangle-y rhododendron you have to maneuver around in out there) but I also need to get a 24 and/or 28". Can't decide which saw to get it for though, probably whatever one a deal comes along first for...

Bill

Bill-

I replied, but my post got moderated perhaps because I mentioned someone's name from town and I mentioned my street name or maybe it didn't like another picture I attached? I'm not sure. That post may show up later and has a lot more interesting stuff! -- I read the rules for posting and there's a number of things you are not supposed to do and I must have done one of them!

Anyway -- I hope this post doesn't get moderated. I am very close to the cell tower dressed up like a tree (that thing is near the used auto parts place right?) I'm over on Devonshire way a new street cut into the heavy woods about a mile up the road towards center of town.
I'm too far from the tower to have heard you guys -- I might've taken a spin to see what was up had I did hear.

Recently a land clearing crew was here clearing a lot for the house next to me -- great group of guys they have a whole tree chipper and his big saw was a 385XP.

Gonna submit this post and hope it goes through! Great to hear from a local!

Great choice of saw!

Bill

Well, c'mon - enquiring minds wanna' know.

I don't wanna hijack the OP's thread here but I guess I opened myself up to that...

Not very quantifiable results, no timed cuts, just the two of us starting at once in the same wood, so first off two different operators.
All different chains, though all fairly sharp 3/8's full chisel with rakers where they should be. All running 7 pin.
Didn't try every saw/wood/operator combo multiple times either, so not very effective averaging of results.

In smaller 16-18" white oak (fresh/green) there were no standouts, the finishes were all very close, a tenth of a second stuff.
In the big dry shagbark, the bone stock 372 and 044 had a slight edge but were virtually indistinguishable between each, time wise.
The 038 had a small but consistent lead on the p70 here.

I'm assuming the results would have widened a bit with 24" bars and 8 pin rims.

To me the real surprise was the P70, was the smoothest/quietest of the three and kept up fine in all but with the bar fully buried in hickory, where it was still only a couple blinks behind. Somehow it just 'felt' and sounded slower but I was always surprised to look over and see the other saw no further ahead.
It's (so far) only mod is the deck cut down a bit to set the squish. Will be interesting to see what it does opened up and retimed, though there doesn't appear to be much room for expansion in there.

The relative disappointment for me was the 038. Even though it kept up no problem and even though I new better, I was secretly hoping it would have handed the others their asses as it has significant mods and is my first 'full'/'real' port job. Only a few tanks through it so the new rings may have a ways to go for full efficiency. Was blowing 170 when fresh, have yet to see if the numbers are up thus far.

I'm really looking forward to getting into the 372 and 044 but am being very patient in cutting my teeth on some more expendable porting fodder first, have lots of saws to play with before I go there, CAD has seen to that. I'm even holding off going further on the P70 until I have some more experience on these little 2-smoke cylinders. Really easy to take material out but tough to put it back in...

Bill

That post may show up later and has a lot more interesting stuff!

Even with my small number of posts, I've had a couple not show up immediately but did (unadulterated) after a time.

I am very close to the cell tower dressed up like a tree (that thing is near the used auto parts place right?)

Yup, right near the salvage yard, you're right up the road, maybe 3/4 mile as the crow flies. You could get there through the woods without crossing a road. There's still a crapload of open land out there, trails, dirt roads, access to the power lines. If you don't have off-road capability, you need to get some, lol.

Bill

Says a lot for the 044 that it's hanging with the new X-Torq, as they are good runners.

Not X-Torq, just straight up xp, '09 I believe...

My buddy, who's definitely a Stihl guy, commented something like; 'The 372 has a smoother, cleaner feel to it but I still like the raw beastie character of the 044 better...'.
I haven't had the 044 for very long so I'm not passing judgment quite yet and would be VERY hard pressed to decide which one would go first if it came to that.

Bill

This is the standard air filter cover for the USA on the 372's

Thanks for the confirmation. However, I am still confused as to why my air filter cover is shorter. I'm in the USA, ordered mine from the dealer last week. I got it in its original box and everything. Its an XPG. Is that the difference? The cover does not extend higher than the clips on the side that hold it on.

I didn't even notice it until Malk315 posted his pics. It just bothers me because I'm almost a grand into the powerhead alone. I'd hate to find out that they stuck the cheapest filter they could find on it to cut costs, or weight, just because its an XPG.

Naturally, I have tons of pictures. I'll post one up if I have the time.

Some don't like the tall filter and like the low one.

There's no power difference. The tall one just holds more dirt before it restricts the flow.

I've converted a few back and forth.

The 365 generally has the low style unless someone changed it.

Ahhh. So it is conceivable that nobody messed with mine and I should just forget about it and run the saw and be happy.

I'll tell you, that 372 is impressive. I've never run the non-strato 372, but this x-torq seems deserving of a little respect. I've only been able to run it for a couple of short moments so far, but the smile is still on my face. Its only a matter of a few days until I can see what it will do.

Thanks for answering my questions. And thanks to the OP for letting me de-rail the thread a bit.

Back