NEW 49SP AM Pistions!!!!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Robin, glad there making pistons now for your favorite saw!

Mine is running fine with a cleaned up piston, and I used a 44mm Husky 350 ring in it. Maybe I should put a new piston in it now that there here?

Probably not right now.

Cantdog - Thanks for the time to check the ring. Numbers look good. Thanks Northwoods!

They have the cylinder base gasket too!

thumb_1544_cylindergasket49sp.jpg

thumb_1407_piston.jpg

They have the cylinder base gasket too!

thumb_1544_cylindergasket49sp.jpg

thumb_1407_piston.jpg

Excellent....didn't know that....this just keeps getting better and better!:heart:!:heart:!:heart:!

I popped over there to see the piston....and it was at the top of the list.

I clicked on 'new products' and the base gasket was at the top! LoL!

Do I hear one happy Robin chirping! :D :yoyo:

Here's a link to Northwood saw's piston page...
LINK

Or you could click on the Button at the top of this page in our friendly sponsor's section....

Last edited:
Managed to get some scales today and weigh the Northwoods piston against a stock Mahle. Though the new piston looks to be a slightly thicker, beefier casting it weighs 81.1 grams with wristpin, circlips and ring. The stock Mahle weighs 79.2 grams set up with its wristpin, circlips and ring. For a difference of 1.9 grams. What I was looking for/at was how much extra this piston setup would weigh fitted with the 52/52E thrust washers as opposed the the stock 49sp piston but also the stock 52/52E piston completely set up as well. Balance is not that big a deal with small, single cyl, 2 cycle engines it seems. The crankshaft is the exact same for both the 49 and 52 motors but a stock 52/52E piston weighs 90.3 grams complete with 2 rings, wristpin, circlips and thrust washers. The difference is 11.1 grams between the two stock versions. The thrust washers weigh 5.6 grams for the pair and when added to the Northwoods piston it comes in at 86.6 grams. Just a bit more than halfway between the two pistons used on this crankshaft....this is looking good so far....just going to need a little extra work to get a decent running clearance between the bosses and the con rod...

Back