New 59" bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfking42084

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just bought a 59" bar for the Stihl 084. I have been running a 36" with a RSF super full skip. I took down a huge white oak today and once on the ground, I began to cut firewood length pieces. The saw would hook up great in the wood, but then get bound up. I have 3 conclusions that I need some help with. The first is the dealer only had the RSC chain, could the teeth be pulling too much wood in the 48" diameter? Second, a section of the heartwood, maybe leg size, was cracked from the rest of the rings and could have been binding the bar and chain up(saw got stuck several times in the wood and I had to wedge it out). Or, could I not be getting enough bar oil to the end of the bar, even with the manual oiler? Thanks for any help

Just bought a 59" bar for the Stihl 084. I have been running a 36" with a RSF super full skip. I took down a huge white oak today and once on the ground, I began to cut firewood length pieces. The saw would hook up great in the wood, but then get bound up. I have 3 conclusions that I need some help with. The first is the dealer only had the RSC chain, could the teeth be pulling too much wood in the 48" diameter? Second, a section of the heartwood, maybe leg size, was cracked from the rest of the rings and could have been binding the bar and chain up(saw got stuck several times in the wood and I had to wedge it out). Or, could I not be getting enough bar oil to the end of the bar, even with the manual oiler? Thanks for any help

My guess is the tension from the crack is binding you up and I don't think lack of oil is causing that problem either.

Try it on a different log even if it is smaller. That way you know the cracked wood is not causing it.

I always find 36" and longer chains to be real grabby. After a sharpening or two they get better. I just hold very little pressure on them when they are new. Good luck..... Mike

?

compression wood a factor?

Latest posts

Back