New 6400 Arrived @ 11:00 - 7910 Conversion by 14:30

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlfA01

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
After nearly a month's wait for Customs clearance, the new (old stock) PS-6400 showed up today. I got it at 11:00 and by 14:30 it was upgraded and running as new PS-7910 with HD Air Filter.

I'm in love with this saw...Best purchase I've made in a long time...:rock2: :happybanana:

Big shout out to @fordf150 for helping me get together the 7910 P&C kit, HD air filter kit and a few other upgrades I need to get this thing to the way I wanted it.

I've looked at a ton of these saws and they are all nice looking saws, but that Dolmar Orange with Black hood and air filter cap is just SEEEEEXXXXXYYYYYYY!!!!!

Let me know what you guys think!
Cheers,
Dan
IMG_20180208_151131.jpg
IMG_20180208_150315.jpg

Added the ouboard dog and the Hardline tachometer. Made a few play around cuts and tuned the carb a bit more. She's just smoking a little from being rich, but I want it rich until the P&C are fully broken in. IMG_20180209_090235.jpg IMG_20180209_090243.jpg
She's wearing a little "wood glitter" finally!

Cheers,
:cheers: :chop:

Got a break in the weather for a few hours yesterday and decided to noodle up some firewood. I was helping a friend of ours that is in a bind for money and her husband has health problems (cancer).

Anyway, the saw is running really strong and seems to be breaking in nicely. I'm impressed every time I use it. My wife even likes it, well at least I think when she says, "Oh, it cuts faster? Then we get to get out of here quicker?!", means that she is equally impressed! At least that's the way I translate 'co-captain' talk.

Now, I have to make my mind up about that 24" bar. The US spec dogs really take up some bar 'real estate'. The EU spec 6400 comes with only one dog and its not aggressive or very big at all (see pic below). Anyway, one of the local shops has to order a bar to fit Dolmar (Stihl and Echo dealer). I think I will pop into the Husky dealer tomorrow and see what he has in stock.

EU Spec 7910.JPG

Got a break in the weather for a few hours yesterday and decided to noodle up some firewood. I was helping a friend of ours that is in a bind for money and her husband has health problems (cancer).

Anyway, the saw is running really strong and seems to be breaking in nicely. I'm impressed every time I use it. My wife even likes it, well at least I think when she says, "Oh, it cuts faster? Then we get to get out of here quicker?!", means that she is equally impressed! At least that's the way I translate 'co-captain' talk.

Now, I have to make my mind up about that 24" bar. The US spec dogs really take up some bar 'real estate'. The EU spec 6400 comes with only one dog and its not aggressive or very big at all (see pic below). Anyway, one of the local shops has to order a bar to fit Dolmar (Stihl and Echo dealer). I think I will pop into the Husky dealer tomorrow and see what he has in stock.

View attachment 634389
You’re right about the dogs taking up real estate. I keep my saws I saw boxes and have to cut them out for clearance for the dogs. However, when they are cutting those dogs are nice for control.

Nice work.

I am really debating selling my 562 and 2186 and getting a 7900 to cover the bigger stuff. Being I haven't used either of them since July I really question why I need a big saw at all LOL.

Thanks. They really are nice saws in my opinion. Great power to weight ratio and are surprisingly easy to control.

You’re right about the dogs taking up real estate. I keep my saws I saw boxes and have to cut them out for clearance for the dogs. However, when they are cutting those dogs are nice for control.

Yes, the control was what I was looking for when I noticed the difference of the US vs EU saws. A lot of the newer EU saws come with larger dogs and can probably be ordered from here, but I was already ordering my P&C kit from @fordf150 so it only made sense to have him throw in a set of dogs with the order.

Generally, I do like the 20" bar as it does allow a lot of control and agility, but I want that real estate back so I'm planning on a 24" at some point.

:cheers:

Outstanding. The FedEx guy should be here today with an OEM cylinder/piston kit my Makita 6421. Install is planned for this evening. I haven't yet pulled the trigger on the Heavy-Duty air filter kit though...

Just finished the muff-mod. I ground off 1/2 of the fold-over metal and the muffler came apart quite easily. The 2 inserts went into the trash. I used a carbide bit on my Dremel tool and opened up the exhaust outlet quite a bit. I had a neighbor weld-up the muffler afterwards. I re-installed back on the 6421 top end and the muff mod-does make a difference.

I'm excited to see how this bad-boy runs. I've got a Husky 390XP to compare it to...

JQ

Pine? What do you use it for? I spy the olive trees.

I do freelance Arborist work and land care/management. We live in an area that is popular among Greeks to have country homes. When they have trees that are dangerous to their houses or properties, they call me to get rid of them.

I price the jobs in different ways. The first is if they keep the wood, then its straight cash. If I take half the wood, I take whatever I can sell the wood for off the price. And the third is if I take all the wood, I usually do the job for the price of gas/oil and sell the wood to make my money. The work is pretty seasonal with the most jobs between Oct and April.

For firewood, I use dry pine and olive. Olive is my main firewood, as I harvest a lot of olives for making oil. My wife and I turned in 4-tons of olives last year. When you are picking the olives, you do a lot of pruning, so I take that wood for my firewood.

The olive trees are great. My wife and I are hoping to buy a property of our own soon. The prices are right, so we are just waiting for the right one to come available.

I'm from North MS about 40 miles from MSU.

Outstanding. The FedEx guy should be here today with an OEM cylinder/piston kit my Makita 6421. Install is planned for this evening. I haven't yet pulled the trigger on the Heavy-Duty air filter kit though...

JQ

You'll love it! The 7910 upgrade makes an amazing difference. The 64XX is a great saw, but the 7910 is whole different story....

EDIT: I've never ran the 390XP, so I can't comment on how the two saws stack up. I've heard really good things about them, so it should fun comparing the two.

I do freelance Arborist work and land care/management. We live in an area that is popular among Greeks to have country homes. When they have trees that are dangerous to their houses or properties, they call me to get rid of them.

I price the jobs in different ways. The first is if they keep the wood, then its straight cash. If I take half the wood, I take whatever I can sell the wood for off the price. And the third is if I take all the wood, I usually do the job for the price of gas/oil and sell the wood to make my money. The work is pretty seasonal with the most jobs between Oct and April.

For firewood, I use dry pine and olive. Olive is my main firewood, as I harvest a lot of olives for making oil. My wife and I turned in 4-tons of olives last year. When you are picking the olives, you do a lot of pruning, so I take that wood for my firewood.

The olive trees are great. My wife and I are hoping to buy a property of our own soon. The prices are right, so we are just waiting for the right one to come available.

I'm from North MS about 40 miles from MSU.
I love olives and olive oil. I put olive oil on everything.

Nice saw!
I'm 3 tanks into my 6421 converted to 7910. I am happy with the power output. New p/c had 145psi cold compression, after the first tank it was 185 psi cold. I haven't ran it next to my 390xp but from my initial thoughts, I think that they are in the same ballpark.

Back