new 660 magnum not starting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrissthrd

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just bought my first 660 on thursday.. ran it for about an hour. Shut it off to sharpen chain.. wasn't able to get it started again.. so i was doing some reading and found that i should be able to lift the entire saw up by the starting rope. Tried that and rope pulled right out.( and no my decompression button was not pushed in) im using 89 octane gas with stihl hp ultra oil @ 50:1...... Any ideas on how this could have happened.. it was about 20 deg. Outside and the saw was set-up for cold weather operation... Im stumped... Any help woukd b great so this doesnt happen again.. has anyone had this happen to them?

Thanks
Chrisi

Just bought my first 660 on Thursday.. ran it for about an hour. Shut it off to sharpen chain.. wasn't able to get it started again.. so i was doing some reading and found that i should be able to lift the entire saw up by the starting rope. Tried that and rope pulled right out.( and no my decompression button was not pushed in) im using 89 octane gas with stihl hp ultra oil @ 50:1...... Any ideas on how this could have happened.. it was about 20 deg. Outside and the saw was set-up for cold weather operation... I'm stumped... Any help would b great so this doesn't happen again.. has anyone had this happen to them?
Thanks
Chrisi

Something is big-time wrong..!!

Take it back to the dealer immediately..!!
:cheers:
J2F

Is the saw "brand new" or "new" to you? If it is new out of the box then this will be an issue for the dealer to sort out.

If it is an used saw pull the muffler and look at the condition of the piston and cylinder. If you see transfer or gouges, then a rebuild is in order.

Agree with other that if it's a brand new saw take it back to the dealer.

If it's just new to you then it sounds like the decompression valve is open. You should be able to pull it back out. Personally, I've found that once these stihl pro saws are warm the decompression valve is no longer needed. Just turn the switch to on (1 click) and pull. I had something similar happen to me and it was the decompression valve. Might want to check the spark plug too. It could be fouled.

Note: I did read your original post about the decompression valve and this sounds like no compression. Even a badly scored cylinder has some compression.

Good luck.

I did try the new plug.. same outcome. The gas couldnt have been mixed any better.. brand new gas can with exactly 5.00 gal of 89 octane and one of the hp ultra bottles for 5 gals. And yes the saw was brand new out of the box.. they did akl of tge tuning adjustments when i bought it. Went though 2 tanks of gas then it crapped out. I took it to a dealer today.. hoping to get it back for the weekend. Does anyobe think the outside temp would have such an effect?

I did try the new plug.. same outcome. The gas couldnt have been mixed any better.. brand new gas can with exactly 5.00 gal of 89 octane and one of the hp ultra bottles for 5 gals. And yes the saw was brand new out of the box.. they did akl of tge tuning adjustments when i bought it. Went though 2 tanks of gas then it crapped out. I took it to a dealer today.. hoping to get it back for the weekend. Does anyobe think the outside temp would have such an effect?

Colder it is the leaner they run yes.Prob couldnt go out more on the high anyway they have stupid restricters and that my friend could be the cause of the whole thing lets wait and see.Just between us how hard were you running it, non stop in 4 foot oak without time to cool?Was the last cut a big old stump with a dull chain?

Last edited:
Good you were using Ultra, warranty should be doubled. Do not dump the gas until they tell you it is a problem covered under warranty. Otherwise they could try to say it was straight gas, if that is the problem.

Last edited:

I did not realize you could get a bottle of ultra to mix 5 gal. on one bottle.I've only seen the ones for 1 gal and 21/2 gal. Scott

Yeah it turns the motor over... I can even pull the plug out, pull the rope and the compression will push my thumb out.. i hope its just somethin stupid.. so i can get my saw back in a timely manor.

Back